OPPS, :unsure: wrong forum :ded:

Finally got back from NC/TN vacation with the parts to finish my brother's s-12. Met Mr. Cobra there and got a few ideas from his masterpiece. Started the cutting and welding as soon as I unpacked the truck! :ph34r: I figure practice makes perfect or at least close to it. Still having issues with my welding but thru my own fault, doing it with in shorts and slippers( :cryss: ow). but at least its done. :smoke: Here are the pics to tell the story...

Edited by nyclu3

Outstanding job. A couple of questions/comments:

How did you attach the upper forend?

Also, small, but important. Everybody that buys a SAW of other aftermarket grip invariably slaps the grip against the back of the trigger guard and attaches it there. Let me share something I learned as a bigger handed guy. I just bought and attached the exact same PG on my new, second S-12. I also have a SAW grip on my first. If your hands are larger than average, let me suggest mounting the PG farther back for a much better grip on the gun. Rather than using a standard AK grip bolt and nut, I use a stainless 1/4" carriage bolt and augment the bolt hole in the grip forward and or backward to allow a custom positioning of the PG to suit your hand. Mine is located about half an inch back of the trigger guard. I use Home Depot epoxy putty (attached to the PG, not the trigger guard. Use a release agent on the trigger guard) to fill the gap and make a perfect rest for the knuckle of the middle finger of your trigger hand. Give it a try prior to refinishing. You will be much happier with the fit of the gun.

So is that a regular AK FSB welded to the clamp from an aftermarket S-12 FSB?

No, it's an RSB, gas tube, and FSB from a Romanian parts kit hacked up to fit the S-12. I cut the barrel rings on the RSB and FSB and shortened the gas tube to fit then welded the RSB to the barrel and the FSB to a barrel clamp then to Tony Rumore's Flash hider/door breach. A lot of welding and grinding and welding and grinding...

No, it's an RSB, gas tube, and FSB from a Romanian parts kit hacked up to fit the S-12. I cut the barrel rings on the RSB and FSB and shortened the gas tube to fit then welded the RSB to the barrel and the FSB to a barrel clamp then to Tony Rumore's Flash hider/door breach. A lot of welding and grinding and welding and grinding...

That does look like a bbl clamp from one of the rusmilitary sights. Where do I score some of those babies?

Outstanding job. A couple of questions/comments:

How did you attach the upper forend?

Also, small, but important. Everybody that buys a SAW of other aftermarket grip invariably slaps the grip against the back of the trigger guard and attaches it there. Let me share something I learned as a bigger handed guy. I just bought and attached the exact same PG on my new, second S-12. I also have a SAW grip on my first. If your hands are larger than average, let me suggest mounting the PG farther back for a much better grip on the gun. Rather than using a standard AK grip bolt and nut, I use a stainless 1/4" carriage bolt and augment the bolt hole in the grip forward and or backward to allow a custom positioning of the PG to suit your hand. Mine is located about half an inch back of the trigger guard. I use Home Depot epoxy putty (attached to the PG, not the trigger guard. Use a release agent on the trigger guard) to fill the gap and make a perfect rest for the knuckle of the middle finger of your trigger hand. Give it a try prior to refinishing. You will be much happier with the fit of the gun.

Thanks for the pointers but the grip suits me just fine, I'm 5'6" 180lbs. I'll try your way on my s-20 because I used your method of the carriage bolt and yes, it is nice to be able to adjust the position of the grip. Thanks for pointing that out.

That does look like a bbl clamp from one of the rusmilitary sights. Where do I score some of those babies?

Ah yes sir it is most surely a rusmil clamp. my bro got it from www.rusmilitary.com. I just cut off the rusmil FSB from the barrel clamp and welded a normal AK FSB on the clamp. Thanks for asking.

Don't chunk that leftover rusmil sight tower. It might come in handy for a AK 104 or Krink style mod to a GB. ;)

By all means, my friend, I tend to save everything I hack up just in case I can use it elsewhere. That's why I had to buy a $1000 shed to make room for all the pieces :wacko:

Yup, that simple.

That's awesome! The shark brake adds just the right amount of evil to the business end. How long did it take to complete?

It was an ongoing process over a couple of months but the actual work took about three days start to finish. I'm still not done as I'd like to incorporate the safety/selector mod. I'm trying to perfect the methods so when I order my own S-12, I know what I'm doing. :unsure:

Hi nyclu3,

What type of fixed stock did you use for your conversion?

Thanks!

It is all old AK wood that I hollowed out to fit the S-12(lower HG), shortened(upperHG), and painted black then clear(buttstock, upper and lower HGs). That is until I order the black US length AK plastic set. This furniture set is just so I can test it out at the range.