Saiga inspection certificate

I went mad and actually read my inspection certificate, today. When it came to the accuaracy section, this is what is says.

"Extreme spread of impacts when firing four bullets at 100-m range (accuracy of fire) is 118 (handwritten) mm"

For those who don't do metric, 118mm is 4 5/8 inches give or take a 1/16. That is not exactly stellar accuracy. However, what we are not told is whether Ivan the Rangemaster was shooting standing up, over sandbags, from a rest or with the gun clamped to a bench. We also do not know which grotty ammo he was using. As there is a blank section for optical sights, i must assume that the iron sights were used.

What does your certificate say, and does anyone have a clue on the Saiga test method?

of the three i have bought, i have never seen that. I feel left out now!But seriously, spend some time at the range and i think you find that sub 4MOA is VERY doable. My x39 is generally 2MOA

that is interesting though. I had no idea these things were accuracy tested at the factory. cool!

Mine says 106mm. or 4.17"

That's about right for an AK.

Chances are they vise the rifle down, rapid fire a magazine, then measure outside to outside. Just my pure, baseless speculation.

I seriously doubt that they sit there and bench rest fire each of these. That factory cranks out over 100,000 rifles a year. I doubt they use anything but plain old military ball to keep costs down.

I think they did the following:

A 5 or 10rd rapid fire group.

Used regular old laquer Barnaul.

Had a vised or clamped rifle.

Measured outside to outside, rather than center to center using a simple metric ruler.

The rapid fire dispersion test also doubles as a function test. After that they pack it up and ship it off. That's why the barrel on a new Saiga (and most firearms for that matter) all look like they've had exactly 1 magazine through them.

Is this info useful? Yes and no. In terms of user-error, you can't do any better than this assuming you use the same ammo and same pace of shooting. In terms of quality of ammo, timing of shots, style of resting of rifle...that's as BAD as your rifle will ever do. For example, using match ammo and resting the rifle further back, as well as having a broken in, properly cleaned barrel can make a HUGE difference. Not to mention, a true slow-fire pace would yield different results for sure.

According to my certificate my extreme spread is 133mm or roughly 5 1/4". But to be honest I tend to get better groupings than that off of sand bags. :unsure: IMO the accuracy of my rifle is par or better for others I've shot in this caliber and type.

My certificate said 108 mm. That puts it over 4"s. The first time out, while trying to zero my scope, I fired this group with Wolf FMJ ammo @ 100 yds. This is close to a 3" group.

I think that I will do a little better next time. Excuse the target but it's what I had.

post-4307-1164681828.jpg

Edited by pogy
My certificate said 108 mm. That puts it over 4"s. The first time out, while trying to zero my scope, I fired this group with Wolf FMJ ammo @ 100 yds. This is close to a 3" group.

I think that I will do a little better next time. Excuse the target but it's what I had.

so why should you have to excuse the target?

• 5 years later...

Going from memory , mine was 115mm! I will have to find the paper to say for sure.

I have had far better groupings than that though. Makes me think one shot standing and POI vs POA! May be what they shoot for!

I can't begin to tell you how the rifle is shot from the factory. And what is the reason they put down the info!

Well, this thread compelled me to go dig out my original boxes (where i left the owners manuals) from the attic. Mine were 125 and 130 (both 7.62's).

But here's the kicker: I found the traditional AK cleaning kits that i'd missed in my haste when originaly opening them and also the cleaning rod was hidden in a rolled up piece of packing paper and taped to the inside of the box.

Damn, if i had thrown the boxes away like my wife told me too, i'd have lost them forever! I wonder how many other people missed the cleaning rod in there?

I missed the cleaning rod and actually had classic send me new ones they messed up some extra magazines as well.

Then I found them and mailed back the cleaning rods with the wrong magazines then kicked myself when I figured out the cleaning rod that came with the gun is super long and the ones they mailed me are the shorter ones that fit under the rifle.