Dinzag's clamp-on handguard attachments ROCK!

Hello

Ahh, finally! The S.308 finally lost that "hormonally-challenged, transformer halfway-through a sex-change" personna, and finally looks the part!

The AKM handguards mounted with the always capable assistance of Dinzag and his clamp-on mounts have finally completed the transformation from "sporter" to "sinister, bad-ass tac rifle" that it was meant to be.

I've hated that front handguard since I first opened the box on my .308.

Had to do a bit of Dremelling on the new gas tube at the clamp, it was being pushed down a bit too much and the piston was binding. Haven't shot it yet, but it now seems to be moving and cycling freely.

Even my GWP bitch Greta seems to approve, and she's pretty discriminating.....

Thanks, Dinzag...Outstanding design and execution, very well-made stuff!

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

post-3965-1170437367_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1170437382_thumb.jpg

Yes - It will - with a BUT....!!!

Most Ak retainers work with Galil stuff and visa-vee. However, I tested this out (having a Galil ARM of my own and a Dinzag retainer for my S-308) and Galil furniture will work using and AK / Dinzag retainer.... BUT - You may have to relieve a bunch on material from a Galili rear retainer to fit properly on any 308 Saiaga... But, it is dependant on caliber....

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

Looks good, just like mine does now. :D

No gas tube problems with x39 retainers, but it is a very close fit. My only complaint/comment is that the retainers do not cover the 'lip' of the front of the handguard fully. They mostly do, but the back and top parts of the HG front lip stick out a bit.

I don't know if there is a way around that, but it is no big deal, especially after I paint that small area black to match.

Edited by hellgrün-K

Juggernaut...S-20 & S-12 lower retainers. I don't have a solution for the uppers just yet.

post-2093-1170483917.jpg post-2093-1170483952.jpg

My only complaint/comment is that the retainers do not cover the 'lip' of the front of the handguard fully. They mostly do, but the back and top parts of the HG front lip stick out a bit.

You will notice that with a lot of AK retainers actually. This batch I got were labeled as german, but are identical to a bulgarian and romy's I have.

Genocide, click the linky in my signature line for top-secret info on how to do the detachable AK gas tube.

dasu, most guys send money when they want parts. lol! I got a sizable shipment of retainers to cut-up today so I should be on schedule to have a bunch done up for the 14th. :up: (Although now I'm $500 in the hole...)

I got a sizable shipment of retainers to cut-up today so I should be on schedule to have a bunch done up for the 14th. :up: (Although now I'm $500 in the hole...)

Bah, these babies are the best thing since sliced bread! Not too many forum-ites have actually figured out what this all means. IT MEANS THERE ARE NO LIMITS TO WHAT FRONT ENDS YOU PUT ON A SAIGA! NO GUNSMITHING REQUIRED!

Hell, this is one thing you can use even on your UNMODIFIED rifle to add uber tactical shit to the front, and don't even have to worry about 922R, unless you add a grip to the front that has a rail and you mount a vertical forgrip or bipod. Just think, you can now mount lights and lasers and even a scout scope to a modified or unmodified Saiga now.

Yup, I am deepening the top gas tube relief and moving the retaining set screw to the bottom on future ones.

Learning process I guess. Thanks for the support guys and nice lookin rifle there guido2.

Dude,that is some tight work you did on that handguard retainer!!

Great Job.

Does anyone know if the KVAR heat shield will work with a First Samco Tri-rail lower hand guard?

Cant wait to get the retainer and this furniture for the S-308.

Heat shield:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...at=0&page=2

Hand Guard:

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=14&cID=17

I'm not sure if that heat shield will fit the 308 barrel...

Dunno if it fits the HG either. (some help I am)

I just did an AK100 forend this afternoon and the heatshield needs to be moved forward a tiny bit but it fits around the 308 barrel on an older Kalashnikov USA(non BHO) 308-1.I did have to sand the interior to get the forend to clear the rear sight base ring around the barrel though.

I'll need one of those cool clamp pn handguard retainers though.

Hehe, good intentions Dinzag.

Ill just have to test to and see if it'll fit together, that way the next guy that comes around will know if the combo works.

Nothing a dremel cant fix.

I just did an AK100 forend this afternoon and the heatshield needs to be moved forward a tiny bit but it fits around the 308 barrel on an older Kalashnikov USA(non BHO) 308-1.I did have to sand the interior to get the forend to clear the rear sight base ring around the barrel though.

What Lower HG did you use?

Edited by Genocide
Hehe, good intentions Dinzag.

Ill just have to test to and see if it'll fit together, that way the next guy that comes around will know if the combo works.

Nothing a dremel cant fix.

What Lower HG did you use?

K-Var US made clone of AK100 forend.The rear of the heat shield buts up against the edge of the RSB's barrel ring while the front does not protrude all the way out the front.

I had use coarse sandpaper taped to a fat dowel to sand a rounded pocket for the RSB ring and Chamber area so they would fit correctly but it looks top notch now that it's finished.

I'm not sure if that heat shield will fit the 308 barrel...

Dunno if it fits the HG either. (some help I am)

Yeah, why'd you even write that?

J/K :lolol:

<Also owes Dinzag money> :chris:

Oh man, I just accidentally crushed your FSB...sorry 'bout that!

I was trying to run up my post count so I can be cooler, duh! :up:

Thanks SOPMOD for the info. I tried mine on there and you are correct about the heatshield.

Does mounting the galil or ak hardware affect the weapon's performance? What I'd like to know is has anyone done a before and after evaluation to see if using different hardware has affected the weapon for better or worse.

I've just picked up the saiga 308 myself and have not shot it yet. I've already noticed that the front sight post is off center and biased to the left. The seller assured me that the weapon was zeroed at the factory but I assumed that he meant mechanical zero...which does not seem to be the case. At any rate, I'll fix that when the weather gets warmer and I find a range in the area.

Future plans for my saiga is to mount tactical accessories (flashlight, possibly a foregrip) and a scope.

I'll be using the side rail that allows use of the iron sights for the scope but as far as the other stuff goes I'll need handguards that can accomodate them, as long as they don't adversely affect the weapon's accuracy.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

GunnyR

GunnyR,

I wouldn't think it would affect the performance any worse than notching the barrel and putting a real retainer on there. But I am biased...

I would think making the AK too front heavy like the pic of the M-18 Juggernaut posted would affect performance. ie - too many attachments would throw the balance off - make it front heavy.

Hey, as long as it goes bang when you're pointing it at a zombie.

USPride - we are 138...

Actually the Misfits were a tad before my time, but I did get into a $6.66 Halloween show down in Detroit to see Samhain when I was 11 or 12. Been corrupted ever since :super:

Hello

Ahh, finally! The S.308 finally lost that "hormonally-challenged, transformer halfway-through a sex-change" personna, and finally looks the part!

The AKM handguards mounted with the always capable assistance of Dinzag and his clamp-on mounts have finally completed the transformation from "sporter" to "sinister, bad-ass tac rifle" that it was meant to be.

I've hated that front handguard since I first opened the box on my .308.

Had to do a bit of Dremelling on the new gas tube at the clamp, it was being pushed down a bit too much and the piston was binding. Haven't shot it yet, but it now seems to be moving and cycling freely.

Even my GWP bitch Greta seems to approve, and she's pretty discriminating.....

Thanks, Dinzag...Outstanding design and execution, very well-made stuff!

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

post-3965-1170437367_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1170437382_thumb.jpg

What kind of scope is that Guido? A Leupold CQ/T?

That's a hot rifle by the way;)