Old Lady from Church....

hey guys an old lady at my church "Grandma Connie" as she likes to be called got her house broke into a couple days ago. all she had was one of them panic horns. Thank God the person was scared off..... i loaned her my Taurus PT 24/7 .40 S&W she couldnt pull back the action herself (Shes 84) so i put one in the chamber for her and left her a couple 15rnd mags by her bedside table. Im taking her next week to get a gun of some kind i was thinking a revolver but if you guys have any ideas of a good "old Lady Gun" let me know

Combat Medic

One of the hammerless revolvers would be good or a 22 mag. revolver. they are loud as hell and have zero recoil to speak of. I got my mom a heritage arms single action 22's with the mag. cylinder. paid something like 160 for it.

Edited by will36

A 3 or 4 inch barreled 38 special is about right. Or the same in 357 mag with 38 specials. Most people can handle that size of gun. A S&W model 10 or Ruger SP101 will fill the bill. I use a 3 inch M64 S&W for my house gun. Its my wifes and she handles it well. Just my .02.

hey guys an old lady at my church "Grandma Connie" as she likes to be called got her house broke into a couple days ago. all she had was one of them panic horns. Thank God the person was scared off..... i loaned her my Taurus PT 24/7 .40 S&W she couldnt pull back the action herself (Shes 84) so i put one in the chamber for her and left her a couple 15rnd mags by her bedside table. Im taking her next week to get a gun of some kind i was thinking a revolver but if you guys have any ideas of a good "old Lady Gun" let me know

Combat Medic

C.M. remember she is 84 @ that age bones are brittle. I would shy away from a gun that has a lot of recoil. She will need to shoot it a little to get comfortable with it. This is a pic. of my son's pistol but its the same I got my mom. You want be looking at much money also. In a few hours my mom got pretty good bustin' cans with her's.

post-5078-1172545929.jpg

All I can think of here is that granny from the video clip in the wheelchair... shooting the full auto machine gun... "shooting him in the TOODLES"

ROFL!!!

I agree with the .25 auto... small, minimal recoil... and will do the job just about as well as anything... It will sure turn someone around when hot lead bees come swarming out at them! :up:

:smoke:

One of the hammerless revolvers would be good or a 22 mag. revolver. they are loud as hell and have zero recoil to speak of. I got my mom a heritage arms single action 22's with the mag. cylinder. paid something like 160 for it.

Hello, will36

I got my wife a Taurus Ti ultralight .38 special w/ "semi-concealed" hammer (flat, serrated item that can be pulled w/ thumb) because I thought it would be a good "purse gun".

Turns out she could barely pull the trigger in single action, and could barely cock the "hammer" in double (I may have those terms mixed-up, I never can keep track...) so she "didn't like to shoot it".

In retrospect, I believe she would have preferred a full-hammer model that would make it easier to manipulate the hammer with her small, wimpy, womanlike thumb. (Always marry a woman with small hands... :angel: )

Just my two cents.....

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

Hello, will36

I got my wife a Taurus Ti ultralight .38 special w/ "semi-concealed" hammer (flat, serrated item that can be pulled w/ thumb) because I thought it would be a good "purse gun".

Turns out she could barely pull the trigger in single action, and could barely cock the "hammer" in double (I may have those terms mixed-up, I never can keep track...) so she "didn't like to shoot it".

In retrospect, I believe she would have preferred a full-hammer model that would make it easier to manipulate the hammer with her small, wimpy, womanlike thumb. (Always marry a woman with small hands... :angel: )

Just my two cents.....

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

I always thought is was something else smaller was the key to happiness. ;) Ill have to try your thinking If I ever divorce and get remarried. haaaaaaaaaa

Combat Medic,

I would never take an 84 year old woman shopping for a firearm unless I was very sure of what her skills/capabilities/mindset are when it comes to self defense.

For your sake I hope you fully understand what it is you are taking on because from here on out you will be partially responsible for any incidents involving that firearm, good or bad.

Having said that, these are my recommendations.

Get her a derringer in .410, .38, or .32 magnum. Weighs less than a pound for standard models and half that for lightweight models.

If you insist on a revolver get something chambered in 22lr. I only know one 84 year old woman and I don't think she could handle pulling the slide on a .25 or the heft of a 38. Keep that in mind in selecting a firearm for the lady in your church. What others consider easy may be impossible for her. Only you can make that determination.

I would stay away from semiautomatics because the concept of having to rack the slide once the magazine is inserted typically escapes people that have no prior experience with semiautomatic handguns. If she's willing to put in the time to learn it then by all means go ahead. Remember that it has to become muscle memory if you are going to use it under duress.

I would suggest she keep the panic horn and use that but keep the weapon on hand. And maybe a small dog would help. Even small dogs are somewhat of a deterrent because they still bark.

Personally I think it is commendable that you are so concerned for someone that you are willing to help them in this way. I would just caution that what would work for you (self defense with a firearm) may not be suitable for her.

Best of luck!

Another vote for some form of revolver. A 38 would be my first choice, but 8 rounds of 22mag are good as well.

Just make sure that she can use it.

Here is a review of a 22mag revolver: http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-941Ultralite.htm

It would be dandy for any granny, and the SS or Blue models are cheaper by far.

In that article the trigger pull was somewhere in the area of eleven pounds for double action mode. Supposedly lightweight rimfire revolvers have that issue so maybe something in a .32 would be better.

This is why I suggested the derringer. I know two rounds don't sound like a lot but it beats having a panic horn and in the event that she misses or doesn't put the assailant down with two shots the odds of the weapon becoming used against her are negated.

Beretta bobcat. .25 ACP with crimcon trace grips(announced at shot show and i am still waiting.) The tilt barrel is great for old hands.

No need to rack slide, and the first shot DA is heavy enough to limit unintentional discharges.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Feb 28 2007, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beretta bobcat. .25 ACP with crimcon trace grips(announced at shot show and i am still waiting.) The tilt barrel is great for old hands.

No need to rack slide, and the first shot DA is heavy enough to limit unintentional discharges.

Hmmm...learn something new every day. I did not realize those little .25's didn't need to have their slide racked. I may seriously look into these little puppies because I'm looking for something similar for the wife.

For some reason i have a qweasy fealing about giving this 84 year old lady a semi auto 40cal.I hope she still has her clear wits and knows SOMETHING about shooting a handgun.I have a mental image of the bluehair that just about killed me on my motorcycle a couple years back :unsure:

I wanted to throw in another vote for the S&W Model 10. Load it with 38 Short Colt if the recoil is too much.

Also wanted to ditto the idea of making sure that she knows how and when to use it. As for mindset, I'd also like to point out that the elderly are second only to teens in suicide rates (last I heard). Make sure she knows what she's doing.

... and thanks for stepping up to help her.

• 2 weeks later...