Standard AK FSB with threads on a .308

Does anyone know if a standard AK47 FSB with treads will fit on a S308 if the ID is bored out??

I think the barrel needs to be turned down before it will fit.The ID does not have enough material to remove without weakening it.

Does anyone know if a standard AK47 FSB with treads will fit on a S308 if the ID is bored out??

I think the barrel needs to be turned down before it will fit.The ID does not have enough material to remove without weakening it.

Like he said . Turn the barrel down to 14.55 mm and just stick the FSB on

Whats the easiest way to turn it down?

(I'm limited to hand tools)

Hand Tools? Not gonna happen.Where is your original front sight?It can be bored out and moved back on the barrel leaving you a nipple to work with and you could ream whatever muzzle device you planned on using to press fit and then cross drill and pin it in place.

If you can press the barrel off you can send it out to be turned and it should go right back to headspace when you reinstall it.

Seems that boring out the old FSB is my best option, don't have the equipment to do it the right way.

Might goto a local gunsmith and have him install a FH for me.

Contact Dinzag here on the board via PM. Removing the FSB is fairly simple and he can bore it out for you to set back on your barrel far enough the thread about the 1st 1/2" of the muzzle to 5/8-24. The rear pin notch becomes your front pin notch when he's done so all you have to do is make a new rear notch for the rear pin slot with a bit he provides. He has a very good price on this service. My FSB is with him now and he is also doing some minor custom stuff for me too (pics to follow).

The standard AK muzzle is 14x1 LH, way too small to use on an un-turned down S-308 muzzle. If you wanna use standard AK-muzzle devices, you'll need to press the barrel off and have the muzzle end turned down on a lathe.

Seems that boring out the old FSB is my best option, don't have the equipment to do it the right way.

Might goto a local gunsmith and have him install a FH for me.

Contact Dinzag here on the board via PM. Removing the FSB is fairly simple and he can bore it out for you to set back on your barrel far enough the thread about the 1st 1/2" of the muzzle to 5/8-24. The rear pin notch becomes your front pin notch when he's done so all you have to do is make a new rear notch for the rear pin slot with a bit he provides. He has a very good price on this service. My FSB is with him now and he is also doing some minor custom stuff for me too (pics to follow).

The standard AK muzzle is 14x1 LH, way too small to use on an un-turned down S-308 muzzle. If you wanna use standard AK-muzzle devices, you'll need to press the barrel off and have the muzzle end turned down on a lathe.

+1 - barrel end under the FSB is 0.631"+/-. I will be offering a TAT kit to rent for the 5/8-24 threads.

Once my other die arrives I will be sending out a couple clamp-on adapters for test as well.

+1 - barrel end under the FSB is 0.631"+/-. I will be offering a TAT kit to rent for the 5/8-24 threads.

Once my other die arrives I will be sending out a couple clamp-on adapters for test as well.

Will you be offering brakes in 5/8x24 as well?

Larry

In addition to the list below, M60 hiders are 5/8-24 as well. I have a request in for a bulk purchase of those from a supplier I found.

post-2093-1173218174.jpg

Here are some other riffles :) that use various threads from:Precise Innovations LLC

post-2093-1173217858_thumb.jpg

Obviously you would want to double check the caliber the brake was designed for...

Thanks for the info Mac and Dinzag.

looks like I'll be sending even more money your way Dinzag, need two front HG retainers and a modified gas tube in the future. Just bought a 1990 Chevy truck, so have to wait a bit.

Edited by Genocide
Ooooh, like that M60 hider D-zag!

Hmmmm?.. Yes it does look like a '60 FH... I wonder where that idea came from?... Hmmmmmm?!?!?!?!?!?

JK- I guess the cat is somewhat outta tha bag....

Damn _ I was hoping to surprise everyone with finished pic's...

(BTW - most .308 "tactical" rifles that have a threaded muzzle use 5/8-28". Case in point the Rem 700 and the Accuracy International .308, as well as the AR-10 - and many others.

Macbeau sends... :cryss:

Edited by macbeau

Sorry mac! :bag:

Found something else too. Some of the 308 FSB's have a different bore.

I got a take-off from someone and it is 0.040" larger in the I.D. than my 22", macb's 16" and two other ones I've messed with (both 22"ers). Basically, not everyone will be able to use the 5/8-24 threading. Maybe there's a correlation to mfg date.

Mine's an '03 - it was 0.631~"

Have you found any suppliers that offer AK-74 style brakes in 5/8x24?

Larry

I have a tap coming, so I guess in a way - yeah. :up:

Also I have a couple FSB adapters I plan on threading & testing next week if weather permits.

At least the 308 crowd will have options.

Sorry it's been taking so long, I've been really busy.

yeah... boring out the FSB and setting it back would have been easy. I didn't want a front sight though. To cut threads on my S308, my gunsmith built a jig that turned the whole rifle. Picture that for a sec. Long barrel, wood furniture, spinning like crazy on a lathe. He turned the end of the barrel down that way, then tapped it.

That's my kind of crazy right there. ;)

I enlarged a Russian/Chinese AK47 pinned on muzzle brake (AK74 style) ID with hand tools. It was not a successful project for me. It now only serves as adding some extra strength to hold the bayonet. A clam-on or a twist on type of adaptor or muzzle brake would be good...

Here's some updated pics on one of 'em...

When it's done the shroud out front will end up being 0.50" long instead of the 0.80" as shown. (area between the FSB front & threads.

This one is threaded for 14x1LH. I'll probably stick with that for now - maybe some 5/8-24 ones.

Additionally it looks like a bayo lug can be added as well (see last pic) Just need to find some compatable t-nuts.

It is bulky looking, but that is all the real estate we have to work with. First batch will be 8 of 'em. All tooled up now, just gotta receive some springs. They are about 1 week out yet.

Also to be blasted & refinished. These puppies ain't gonna be cheap either - pretty labor intensive.

post-2093-1174011359_thumb.jpg

14x1 LH '74 style

post-2093-1174011369_thumb.jpg

14x1 LH '74 style

post-2093-1174011380.jpg

Showing threads & indexing pin

post-2093-1174011388.jpg

with 24mm adapter

post-2093-1174011398_thumb.jpg

with real '74 brake

post-2093-1174011406_thumb.jpg

with bayo as well.

Please tell me that I am square with you ... (pleading~)

Danzig, your work is AWESOME !!!! I'd hate to have to see you in 3-5 years!!!! I won't be able to aford you!!!!! ... DAMN IT! You could make a guy go broke early.! - And I am not even married....(anymore...)

Tell me that my work is sublime - compared to this...! :cryss:

These puppies ain't gonna be cheap either - pretty labor intensive.

What are we looking at for one, ballpark?

Any recommendation for a 308 compensator that directs the sound down range like a Levang and would work with Mr.D's threaded FSB?

DocV

This is the father-in-law's baby, he will set the price he wants...soon. He's doing most of the work on them. We're not looking for a mint, but he's gotta figure out the time he has into them. I can say to make them precision with all that is involved they will be over $100. I'll get some more pics of the inside so you can see what is going on.

DocV - we'll make them to order after this initial run & offer them in 14x1LH, 9/16-24RH & 5/8-24RH.

The brakes/comps you sent me links to awhile back should be what you want...Novesk & Levang?

DocV - we'll make them to order after this initial run & offer them in 14x1LH, 9/16-24RH & 5/8-24RH.

The brakes/comps you sent me links to awhile back should be what you want...Novesk & Levang?

Yup those are the ones. I garbled my last posting. Sorry had my mouth full while I was typing. :rolleyes:

What I should have asked was do you know yet if a Levang or Noveske will work.

I've answered my own question about the Levang- they only come in .223 with the standard A2 1/2 x 28 thread

Noveske comes in .223 and 7.62 threaded 1/2 x 28 or 5/8 x 24 and run about $125.00

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcar...play.cgi?cat=21

KKF has beaucoup compensators and brakes. The ones I was looking at are the Limiter and Limiter S. Standard threading is 1/2 x 28 and 5/8 X 24 but others are available. They run about $60.00

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com.../page/29585.htm

For anyone interested the above compensators direct muzzle blast and noise down range making it much more pleasnt for the shooter and people on either side you. The Levang works pretty well. The others I've heard positive things about. The Noveske is is designed from the oroginal Krink SBR compensator and has an internal 'funnel' that eventually needs to be replaced.

For the elderly, way too much time on the range and flight line types , such as my self they are very nice. It's also nice in an enclosed or indoor range.

DocV

Edited by DocV