Iran seizes British navy personnel in Iraqi waters

I know this is a gun forum and not a political board but gun ownership is a political issue. Just thought this may be of interest to some members. This doesn't sound good to me at all.

LONDON (Reuters) - Iran captured fifteen British Royal Navy personnel during a "routine boarding operation" in Iraqi waters on Friday, Britain's Ministry of Defense said.

Iran's ambassador in London has been summoned and Britain is demanding the immediate safe release of the sailors.

"At approximately 1030 Iraqi time this morning, 15 British naval personnel, engaged in routine boarding operations of merchant shipping in Iraqi territorial waters ... were seized by Iranian naval vessels," the ministry said in a statement.

"We are urgently pursuing this matter with the Iranian authorities at the highest level and on the instructions of the Foreign Secretary, the Iranian ambassador has been summoned to the Foreign Office. The British government is demanding the immediate and safe return of our people and equipment."

its too bad it wasnt in international waters, or it would actually be a legal and legitimate action.

as it is like this? its an act of war. fuck that continent. nuke it.

Sorry, I don't want Iran to have the British Navy legally. Ahmadinejad is going to be a problem. A major one.

I don't know why we haven't removed the government there already. There are plenty of well educated people in Iran that are very Westernized that would love to take over. Are we going to wait intill their dilusional gov nukes the Jewish, Europians, or US (as in me and you)? If I was Bush I would tell the liberals to take their pussy asses home and they better not go without approving our troops with the required support first. And give N Korea some while they're at it. What in the fuck are they waiting on. If they don't we will without a doubt see a mushroom cloud some where in the not so distant future.

just a thought.

what was on this ship that the iranians could even seize 15 british spec ops personelle? anybody think of that? there was either something on that ship that was worth that type of protection, or they planned on taking them and caused it to be boarded.

either way? nuke em. lets get world war three on with already, and get it done. people need to stop playing pussy foot and get the job done already.

just a thought.

what was on this ship that the iranians could even seize 15 british spec ops personelle? anybody think of that? there was either something on that ship that was worth that type of protection, or they planned on taking them and caused it to be boarded.

either way? nuke em. lets get world war three on with already, and get it done. people need to stop playing pussy foot and get the job done already.

The article I sent is all I've heard on it so far. Will keep y'all updated. I get emails about shit like this all the time.

just a thought.

I think the ship was bait and that this was a planned operation. Another test and one I am sure we(US and the Brits) will again fail. Every time we don't smash these MFers in the mouth they are emboldened and become even more dangerous. Just like the enemy within. I watched the riots in L.A. grow more and more intense until the rabble was finally confronted. We simply cannot allow evil people run amok in this world if we want to remain free people.

and you dont think it could have been more nuke material being shipped to korea? im wondering why I never heard anything about the isotope that was collected from the atmosphere after thier last "test". the shit is traceable in a big way.

the LA riots? oh, you mean the weekend I spent up in the hills overlooking poughkeepsie with 30 other guys armed to the teeth with telescopes and high powered rifles with our trucks just waiting for them to go nuts here? that little bullshit thing? all it took was about 20 or 30 tracer rounds fired over the city each time we saw fireworks or whatever down there, and all was quiet. (thatd scare the shit out of you if you think about it.) the cops didnt even bother us for once. go figure. (half the guys there that weekend were the cops, if I recall)

if you read the constitution and the bill of rights, you will find that it is the LAW that you must do this type of thing when the time comes. I dont really care who dont like it, it is just how it is.

Where's Powers Booth (acting prez on "24") when you need him? ("Fire a nuke into lowly populated area just to let 'em know we mean business and will hold them accountable")

Seems like sound judgement to me.....

respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

and you dont think it could have been more nuke material being shipped to korea? im wondering why I never heard anything about the isotope that was collected from the atmosphere after thier last "test". the shit is traceable in a big way.

I'm not totally for sure, but I think they need a sample from the original source first. Not sure though.

its too bad it wasnt in international waters, or it would actually be a legal and legitimate action.

as it is like this? its an act of war. fuck that continent. nuke it.

the legal babble is that Iran never recognised Iraq's possession of those waters. doesnt make any real difference though.

just a thought.

what was on this ship that the iranians could even seize 15 british spec ops personelle? anybody think of that?

no one ever said they were specops. they were a lightly armed partol doing routine ship checks in two small boats. the Iranians surrounded them with gunboats.

there was either something on that ship that was worth that type of protection, or they planned on taking them and caused it to be boarded.

nuke stuff? you think they'd ship that through Iraqi waters? shit, they're pigheaded but they ain't dumb.

a more probable reason, check below:

I think the ship was bait and that this was a planned operation.

probably. the 'allied' forces captured an Iranian 'Revolutionary Guard' general in northern-Iraq recently (that isn't regular army btw). best guess is of course that he was somehow paying his insurgent buddies a visit.

the troops capturing the British navy dudes are 'Revolutionary Navy' (once again, not regular navy). anyway, i think it's related.

allies grabbed an Iranian general & now the Iranians are grabbing allies to show "hey guess what? we too can play that game!". i'm guessing there will be an exchange. 15 sailors for a general.

GroundZeroOcean.jpeg

HOORAH!

(note the sarcasm)

[unashamed] dude! I need the 'F-Bomb' as a t-shirt! [/unashamed]

:D

Jugger? I'll take a few.

How can I find out if that's copyright protected?

I agree, that would make a cool t shirt.

SuA, Happy to see you on "OUR" side for a change! J/K :haha:

You know that Ahmadinejad is coming to the US. He is scheduled to land at 1 a.m. this Saturday morning. I guess he is going to whine to the UN about sanctions. Maybe get a couple cute little sweater vests at Banana Republic. I think most Iranians want him out of power. What if there was an "accident" or "terrorist bombing" that killed him? Whould that destabilized that region or bring the possibility of diplomacy?

John

Hello

There have been well over two hundred documented cases of armed, uniformed milita from south of the border protecting "shipments" into this Country.

Pretty clear-cut, overt "acts of war" in my opinion....I guess the rulebook has been revised (or just tossed) and nobody bothered to officially inform us ("You remember "us", the folks who at one time who collectively ran "our" Country?)

Just another brick in the wall......

Guido2 in Houston

This is pretty cool.

Ahmadinejad angrily abandons plans for UN visit

Mar 24 06:57 AM US/Eastern

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has abandoned plans to address the UN Security Council ahead of a vote on fresh sanctions against Tehran, with Washington angrily accused of scuppering them.

Ahmadinejad had asked to address the council to defend his country's position on its controversial nuclear programme, but an official in Tehran said he will not travel to New York because his visa would not arrive in time.

"President Ahmadinejad's trip has been made impossible because of the lateness in supplying a visa by the United States," the official told AFP late on Friday.

"Because of this, it is not possible to get the visa to Tehran on time, and the president's trip has therefore become virtually impossible.

"The United States deliberately issued the visas late to prevent the president from going, and they are responsible. Also the visas for the team members who would have accompanied him were not issued, which makes the trip impossible," the official said.

Foreign ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini accused Washington of "deliberate and conscious negligence."

"The delays in granting the visas were planned in such a way that the trip, given the particularly long distance involved, could not take place," he said.

Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki, who is already in New York, will speak in the president's place, a ministry spokesman said.

Washington denied any visa delays.

"We provided visas to President Ahmadinejad's delegation, including his security and aircrew, in time for him to come to New York and speak at the Security Council on Saturday," said State Department deputy spokesman Tom Casey.

"Any suggestion that visa issues are the cause of President Ahmadinejad's decision not to travel to New York is false."

Casey also said Washington's UN mission "has been informed that President Ahmadinejad has now decided not to come to New York."

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said an initial 39 visas -- 13 for diplomats and 26 for security staff -- had been delivered in Bern. He said requests for another 33 visas for Iranian crew were still being examined.

"It was one of these incidents when they failed to fill out all the forms. But our folks in Bern are working as quickly as they can to make sure that those visas get issued within the confines of our host country obligations," he said.

Iran and the United States have not held diplomatic ties for the past 27 years, and Switzerland takes care of US interests in Iran.

Ahmadinejad had said he wanted to present what he called "new proposals" about Tehran's nuclear programme.

Defying UN demands, Iran has refused to suspend its uranium enrichment work and rejected accusations that it is striving to produce nuclear weapons, insisting its programme is designed solely to generate electricity.

The new resolution would ban Tehran from exporting arms, calls for voluntary trade sanctions and expands a list of officials and companies targeted for financial and travel restrictions.

It builds on sanctions already adopted by the Security Council in December, including a ban on the sale of nuclear and ballistic missile-related materials to Iran and a freeze on financial assets of Iranians involved in illicit atomic and ballistic missile work.

How can I find out if that's copyright protected?

I agree, that would make a cool t shirt.

copyrighted? not bloody likely, but i can't give you any proof of that...

anyway the pic really aint that nicely done. you can get a lot better, would take a photoshop addict only 30 minutes to rig you up something a lot nicer. maybe you should ask Bvamp, he says he used in IT (a hacker even) so maybe he can do it or maybe he knows someone who can. (me, i'm just a network rat & a code monkey, so don't ask me any visual stuff because i've got about as much art skills as a roadkilled gerbil)

Just to let you guys know, the waters in question have been disputed between Iraq and Iran since the close of the war back in the 80s. Technically, they are no one's waters, but both parties lay a claim to them.

What is kind of ironic about this, is that Iran is in the middle of a nation holiday and the government officials are all on vacation. Way to have your vacation ruined.

Just to let you guys know, the waters in question have been disputed between Iraq and Iran since the close of the war back in the 80s. Technically, they are no one's waters, but both parties lay a claim to them.

What is kind of ironic about this, is that Iran is in the middle of a nation holiday and the government officials are all on vacation. Way to have your vacation ruined.

gee, i feel for them. :rolleyes:

You know that Ahmadinejad is coming to the US. He is scheduled to land at 1 a.m. this Saturday morning. I guess he is going to whine to the UN about sanctions. Maybe get a couple cute little sweater vests at Banana Republic. I think most Iranians want him out of power. What if there was an "accident" or "terrorist bombing" that killed him? Whould that destabilized that region or bring the possibility of diplomacy?

John

Even if he does get killed or something, he has to many relatives in line that are just as dillusional as him. The iranian's really need to do the job themselves. If they would revolt and hang him in the street like Mussilini, and his family too, the country has a whole would feel a lot better about a new government and easier to except. If we have to go in and remove the goverment for them, a lot will think that we appointed the new leader. There will be hard feelings from some about us having to do it. It would be less accepted. I really think that with the right encouragement though that the people of iran would start a revolution. They are a pretty free people for ones under a dictatorship.. Many, many of iran's people speak out against the government their.

John

Even if he does get killed or something, he has to many relatives in line that are just as dillusional as him. The iranian's really need to do the job themselves. If they would revolt and hang him in the street like Mussilini, and his family too, the country has a whole would feel a lot better about a new government and easier to except. If we have to go in and remove the goverment for them, a lot will think that we appointed the new leader. There will be hard feelings from some about us having to do it. It would be less accepted. I really think that with the right encouragement though that the people of iran would start a revolution. They are a pretty free people for ones under a dictatorship.. Many, many of iran's people speak out against the government their.

It seems to me that offing Ahmadinejad and a few hundred of his friends might just provide the right encouragement. :angel:

gee, i feel for them. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that the Iran gov. planned this and had been looking for an opportunity to kidnap American and British servicemen.