Wrench for removing "stopper"

All this discussion about stoppers got me to thinking. IS there a wrench to remove the stopper? Surly the Russians made a proper wrench to fit and not damage the slots. I have designed one, just haven't taken the time to machine it yet.

Never heard of one. Usually requires a big screwdriver at most.

yea a big screwdriver will work, but I belive it can be improved on.

here is quick drawing of what I am thinking about.

th_96283_saiga_wrench2_122_247lo.jpg

Edited by Banshee
I thought these tools were suppose to be used for removing the plug...? Thats what I use them for. Although I do use a small wooden stick to push down the "button".

Your picture shows the cleaning case, cap, punch, and combination tool. The cap can be used as a bore guide for cleaning. The case and combo tool can be configured with the cleaning rod to make a handle for the rod. The punch use is obvious. The case and combo tool can also be configured to form a screwdriver and front sight adjusting tool. I can scan some pix that show this if you need.

All this discussion about stoppers got me to thinking. IS there a wrench to remove the stopper? Surly the Russians made a proper wrench to fit and not damage the slots. I have designed one, just haven't taken the time to machine it yet.

i found that using the choke wrench across the 2 slots extended a tad past the seccond slot will also depress the button and just turn

now... isn't the punch designed to push through the front sight for adjusting ?

i found that using the choke wrench across the 2 slots extended a tad past the seccond slot will also depress the button and just turn.

+1... I assumed the choke wrench was designed to be used this way. Works perfectly.

is this a Saiga choke wrench?

Edited by Banshee
i found that using the choke wrench across the 2 slots extended a tad past the seccond slot will also depress the button and just turn.

+1... I assumed the choke wrench was designed to be used this way. Works perfectly.

is this a Saiga choke wrench?

it came with mine.. but if you got a non-threaded barrel then you'd not get the wrench

banshee... that is one kick ass quote

Edited by mccumber1916

I had a little free time this week and I made this wrench to remove the stopper from my Saiga,

it works like a charm on my Tromix 8 inch barrel gun.

I made it from some scrap aluminum, heat treaded 17-4 and a piece of .250 drill rod.

th_11324_wrench_122_349lo.jpgth_11328_wrench2_122_416lo.jpgth_11329_wrench_on_gun_122_380lo.jpg

click on the thumbnails for full size pictures

Edited by Banshee
I had a little free time this week and I made this wrench to remove the stopper from my Saiga,

it works like a charm on my Tromix 8 inch barrel gun.

I made it from some scrap aluminum, heat treaded 17-4 and a piece of .250 drill rod.

th_11324_wrench_122_349lo.jpgth_11328_wrench2_122_416lo.jpgth_11329_wrench_on_gun_122_380lo.jpg

click on the thumbnails for full size pictures

can i get one of those

Nice fab job dude.

Any time I need a "wrench" to remove one of someone else's to help them clean it, I use a tool that only costs 25 cents and is probably already in your pocket. Yep a quarter is all it takes, if you have a 50 cent piece it's even better. Depress the detent pin with a thumbnail or wooden golf tee and turn. If it's really gunked up you can use a pair of vice grips on the coin.

Mine doesn't get stuck because I use never sieze on my threads...

Something I have noticed on a few S-12s...This may help some people...

The "stopper" is hard to remove because it binds up every half turn. At first I thought it was a thread problem. I just fixed one that was doing that by grinding the outer edge of the stopper where it was milled "out of round" and hitting against the bbl every half turn. Now it's perfect and screws in by hand with no resistance.

:smoke:

Nice fab job dude.

Any time I need a "wrench" to remove one of someone else's to help them clean it, I use a tool that only costs 25 cents and is probably already in your pocket. Yep a quarter is all it takes, if you have a 50 cent piece it's even better. Depress the detent pin with a thumbnail or wooden golf tee and turn. If it's really gunked up you can use a pair of vice grips on the coin.

Mine doesn't get stuck because I use never sieze on my threads...

Something I have noticed on a few S-12s...This may help some people...

The "stopper" is hard to remove because it binds up every half turn. At first I thought it was a thread problem. I just fixed one that was doing that by grinding the outer edge of the stopper where it was milled "out of round" and hitting against the bbl every half turn. Now it's perfect and screws in by hand with no resistance.

:smoke:

but cobra... the wrench is cool

I use a screwdriver. I push it into the slot so that it depresses the catch, then turn the screwdriver. That torque turns the plug and you can get a half turn out that way. I then move the screwdriver back to the catch and repeat till it no longer clicks.

I use a screwdriver. I push it into the slot so that it depresses the catch, then turn the screwdriver. That torque turns the plug and you can get a half turn out that way. I then move the screwdriver back to the catch and repeat till it no longer clicks.

I didn't have a gunsmithing screwdriver that would fit across the slots on the stopper and I will not use standard screwdrivers on ANY gun screws. They WILL damage screw and spanner slots. I want the proper tools to disassemble all of my firearms, and if I can't buy it I will make it; also I am a licensed gunsmith and I must have the correct tools to work on other peoples firearms.

Edited by Banshee
can i get one of those

what is your barrel length ? The design I come up with is for a 8 inch barrel. It may not work well with one much longer, due to the "tee" handle on the end.

Edited by Banshee

I didn't have a gunsmithing screwdriver that would fit across the slots on the stopper and I will not use standard screwdrivers on ANY gun screws. They WILL damage screw and spanner slots. I want the proper tools to disassemble all of my firearms, and if I can't buy it I will make it; also I am a licensed gunsmith and I must have the correct tools to work on other peoples firearms.

banshee... you never told me how muck for a banshee stopper tool

banshee... you never told me how muck for a banshee stopper tool

I have a couple of extra, and for the shipping fee you can have one free. I don't have the time nor the desire to make a bunch of these. I doubt if I will make any more. Just remember I made these quick and from material out the scrap bin.

PM me your address and I'll drop one in the mail