Man, that thing looks schweet! I wonder what the price might be? Anybody heard?

I've got no bullpups in my accumulation, but I think that may change...

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

• 1 year later...

RFB Review

In a nutshell 99.99% win.

If HK was stamped and plastic shaped a little different you'd never question it was a HK.

Trigger is like an AR's all future bullpups should be like this.

Hitting shotgun shells @ 50 yards with 3X scope no prob even without a rest.

Sheet metal over barrel seemed to warm up during shooting. Possibility of gun getting very hot during an extended session??? Yet to be determined.

Worth MSRP. If found @ MSRP buy two.

If its a typical Kel Tec product, expect two to three years before you see them in any number, and expect the support items like mags to be hard to find for longer.

Don't get me wrong, I love my KT mini pistols, but it took TWO years on a waiting list to get a 380, and I am a dealer!!!!!!!

I have been waiting for this rifle for a while!

I am somewhat concerned about the front dumping brass from a tactical usage standpoint. Having a stream of brass dropped at your feet could be somewhat problematic on a hard surface or in a stairwell. Frankly this would not be an issue for most folks, but still...

I have been waiting for this rifle for a while!

I am somewhat concerned about the front dumping brass from a tactical usage standpoint. Having a stream of brass dropped at your feet could be somewhat problematic on a hard surface or in a stairwell. Frankly this would not be an issue for most folks, but still...

I was questioning the same thing. It would be almost inevitable that you would be stepping on your own brass. I was taught to move and shoot. Sometimes that's forward into your target or a flanking move. Either way the brass it spits out will be an issue IMO.

And I have to wonder about the trigger pull on it.

If its a typical Kel Tec product, expect two to three years before you see them in any number, and expect the support items like mags to be hard to find for longer.

Don't get me wrong, I love my KT mini pistols, but it took TWO years on a waiting list to get a 380, and I am a dealer!!!!!!!

frick: it uses metric FAL mags, much like the SU-16 can use any AR magazine.

edited to add: Here's a link to a thread on the RFB on the GunBroker.com forums, complete with pics from a very happy customer.

Edited by protected static
Great, at least they aren't reinventing the wheel again, as some of the other companies do.

I have an FAL and plenty of mags, so at least thats one bonus.

Any idea on cost of these yet???

That's been their design philosophy w/ their long guns, basing them on existing magazine designs. With the RFB, they wanted to base it around a really common NATO .308 magazine.

Right now, prices are north of $2000 - and in some cases, well north of that. The folks in that GunBroker thread and on KTOG.org expect the street price to stabilize well below that ($1500 - $1800) once production ramps up and the different variants are out there. We'll see...

Great, at least they aren't reinventing the wheel again, as some of the other companies do.

MSRP is $1600

Actual cost has been SCAR'ified by demand.

You can get on a waiting list.

Me?

I'm hoping the market will tank, and once people realize they can't eat an RFB then I'll buy one dirt cheap.

• 10 months later...

MSRP is $1600

Actual cost has been SCAR'ified by demand.

You can get on a waiting list.

Me?

I'm hoping the market will tank, and once people realize they can't eat an RFB then I'll buy one dirt cheap.

Scarified? Racer X?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

Id love to see one, not sure MSRP makes sense to me, but i dont think there is anything out there that really compares, so its probably worth it.

Good plan though.

I don't buy kel tecs, EVER. They absolutely refuse to build any weapon with a metal based receiver. Their PLR rifles are only made to last 8000 rounds....(sez it in the manual) so with low standards like that I'll spend my money elsewhere...I can't imagine the RFB being much different with their building standards.

EDIT: plus for that kinda $$, you can get something much nicer...

Edited by Vultite

I don't buy kel tecs, EVER. They absolutely refuse to build any weapon with a metal based receiver. Their PLR rifles are only made to last 8000 rounds....(sez it in the manual) so with low standards like that I'll spend my money elsewhere...I can't imagine the RFB being much different with their building standards.

EDIT: plus for that kinda $$, you can get something much nicer...

I also had a PLR, fun little toy, great warranty (lifetime) so it really doesn't matter when they were made to last. The concept is pretty cool, but like others said you'd be stepping all over your brass, although it'd be a whole lot better to be shooting next to a team member without getting brass in your face. still like you stated Vultite I'd rather have an extra pound of weight in the working parts area than it be all plastic.

I am the owner of a PLR-22. I went back and read the manuals for the PLR-22 and PLR16 and could not find any mention of the gun(s) lasting for a certain length of time. Kel-Tec's have a lifetime warranty for the original owner and this should not be a concern. I have spoken with numerous dealers around Texas and Oklahoma and they can't keep enough inventory because they sell so quickly. If one has a concern I would give the factory a call before purchasing and get a clarification.

Good luck and happy shooting,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

I am the owner of a PLR-22. I went back and read the manuals for the PLR-22 and PLR16 and count not find any mention of the gun(s) lasting for a certain length of time. Kel-Tec's have a lifetime warranty for the original owner and this should not be a concern. I have spoken with numerous dealers around Texas and Oklahoma and they can't keep enough inventory because they sell so quickly. If one has a concern I would give the factory a call before purchasing and get a clarification.

Good luck and happy shooting,

Yakdung

There was a round count when Kel-Tec first started producing the PLR series because they didn't have a chrome lined barrel. Kel-Tec being the good company they are, heard from enough people (me included) bitch and added a chrome lined barrel.

KT shows 6,000 rounds in their FAQ section. I've owned a few KT...they are ok, but I hear the RFB is the cat's meow. I have one on order for $1300...to me that's a lot of coin for anything with a KT label. I hear someone paying $3k+ on GB, which is nuts. I'll give one a try at $1,300. RFB owners seem to love them and they are the only game in town for a 308 bullpup.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/faqs.htm

Edited by aubie515

Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ. I sent an email to Kel-Tec to see what type of response I would get:

"life is a relative term, it depends on ammo used, proper maintenance of the firearm, etc. at 6000 rds, just expect to need to replace some springs or something simple like than. thanks"

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent:
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:20 PM
Subject:
Contact request from KEL-TEC CNC parts and accessories online store

Hello, Can you please tell me if my gun will go out of warranty if I shoot more than 6000 rounds? I noticed that 6000 rounds is the expected life of my firearm.

Q : What is the expected life of a Kel-Tec firearm

A : All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more.

I'm a proud owner of two of your firearms but this has stumped me.

Thanks,

Y. Dung

Yakdung

:)

Edited by yakdung