Run-in changes lawmaker's stance

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Phillip Morris

Plain Dealer Columnist (Cleveland, Ohio newspaper)

It's funny how a gun can in stantly change your perspec tive on things, make you wish you could rewrite history.

State Rep. Michael DeBose, a southside Cleveland Democrat, discovered this lesson the night of May 1, when he thought he was going to die. That's the night he wished he had that gun vote back.

DeBose, who had just returned from Columbus, where he had spent the day in committee hearings, decided to take a short walk up Holly Hill, the street where he has lived with his wife for the past 27 years.

It was late, but DeBose, 51, was restless. The ordained Baptist minister knew his Lee-Harvard neighborhood was changing, but he wasn't scared. The idle, young men who sometimes hang out on his and adjacent streets didn't threaten him.

He is a big man and, besides, he had run the same streets before he found Jesus - and a wife. That night, he just needed a walk.

The loud muffler on a car that slowly passed as he was finishing the walk caught his attention, though. When the car stopped directly in front of his house - three houses from where he stood - he knew there was going to be a problem.

"There was a tall one and a short one," DeBose said, sipping on a McDonald's milkshake and recounting the experience Friday.

"The tall one reached in his pocket and pulled out a silver gun. And they both started running towards me."

"At first I just backed up, but then I turned around and started running and screaming."

"When I started running, the short boy stopped chasing and went back to the car. But the tall boy with the gun kept following me. I ran to the corner house and started banging on Mrs. Jones' door."

It was at that point that the would-be robbers realized that their prey wasn't worth the trouble. Besides, Cheryl, DeBose's wife, and a daughter had heard his screams and had raced out to investigate. Other porch lights began to flicker on.

The loud muffler sped off, and DeBose started rethinking his gun vote.

DeBose twice voted against a measure to allow Ohioans to carry concealed weapons. It became law in 2004.

DeBose voted his conscience. He feared that CCW permits would lead to a massive influx of new guns in the streets and a jump in gun violence. He feared that Cleveland would become the O.K. Corral, patrolled by legions of freshly minted permit holders.

"I was wrong," he said Friday.

"I'm going to get a permit and so is my wife.

"I've changed my mind. You need a way to protect yourself and your family.

"I don't want to hurt anyone. But I never again want to be in the position where I'm approached by someone with a gun and I don't have one."

DeBose said he knows that a gun doesn't solve Cleveland's violence problem; it's merely a street equalizer.

"There are too many people who are just evil and mean-spirited. They will hurt you for no reason. If more people were packing guns, it might serve as a deterrent.

"But there obviously are far deeper problems that we need to address," he added, as he suddenly seemed to realize he sounded like a gun enthusiast.

They say the definition of a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. DeBose's CCW application will bear some witness to that notion.

Let's hope more dems get mugged. 1911

just because you are a good christian, does not mean that you have to roll over and die.

When most people refer to being Christ like, they are talking about being meek and turning the other cheek. When they hear that I am a Christian they feel that I can be bullied and that they can walk over me and I should smile and take it. They are refering to Jesus before he was crucified and even then he would only take so much before he reached his limits (Mathew 21: 12-13, Mark 11:15, Luke 19:45, John 2:15) these verses refer to Jesus clearing the merchants from the temple.

When I talk about Christians being Christ like, I'm talking about Jesus as he is described in Revelation 19:11-21. Check that out.

Amaizing how a reality check makes these cream puffs realize that we dont live in a Leave it to Beaver society.Bet Mr Debose shat his pants when he thought he was going to die with no one there to come to his rescue or to protect himself.

just because you are a good christian, does not mean that you have to roll over and die.

When most people refer to being Christ like, they are talking about being meek and turning the other cheek. When they hear that I am a Christian they feel that I can be bullied and that they can walk over me and I should smile and take it. They are refering to Jesus before he was crucified and even then he would only take so much before he reached his limits (Mathew 21: 12-13, Mark 11:15, Luke 19:45, John 2:15) these verses refer to Jesus clearing the merchants from the temple.

When I talk about Christians being Christ like, I'm talking about Jesus as he is described in Revelation 19:11-21. Check that out.

lol... turn the other cheek... and when that one is struck...???????

you only got 2 cheeks

madmillo,

I was fortunate enough to have studied world religions in college. I can't say this degree opened the "doors" for me at any companies, but I would not change a thing.

Getting back to the topic,when my wife and I disagree about how a situation should be handled sometimes I refer to acting "peacefully like Christ"

or acting "angry like Christ" (for instance as you said clearing the temple of the money changers).

The God of the Old Testament is also the God of the New Testament and both qualities (peaceful and angry) are shown to be God-like.

To me to be Christ-like is to be human (angry, resentful,etc. ) but to strive (and never stop trying) to be more like the Peaceful, Forgiving and Loving Christ.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

madmillo,

I was fortunate enough to have studied world religions in college. I ended up with a Bachelor's degree in Religious Studies. I can't say this degree opened the "doors" for me at any companies, but I would not change a thing.

When I did graduate work, I decided on a M.A. in Adult Education.

Getting back to the topic,when my wife and I disagree about how a situation should be handled sometimes I refer to acting "peacefully like Christ"

or acting "angry like Christ" (for instance as you said clearing the temple of the money changers).

The God of the Old Testament is also the God of the New Testament and both qualities (peaceful and angry) are shown to be God-like.

To me to be Christ-like is to be human (angry, resentful,etc. ) but to strive (and never stop trying) to be more like the Peaceful, Forgiving and Loving Christ.

louielouie

In Revelation 19:11 I'm refering to the fed up let's take care of business Christ. I'm not saying let's go out and "smite" everyone. I believe in living a forgiving and peaceful life but I will not be taken advantage of. I will not be ashamed of my beliefs. I will not stand by while another religion declares war on me because of my beliefs and do nothing. I agree with what you are saying. I was just pointing out that Being Christlike is not always being meek and humble. Sometimes standing up, fighting back, and not being walked over is the only solution.

whats that, your new self-portrait, Gaddis?

I should do it, but I cant. hahah. you tempt me SO MUCH to make that your new avatar, and see how long it takes your cache to flush so that you see its there LOL. Id make you change it if you did it, so I guess I cant do it.

...but it DID cross my mind.