I've had a thing bothering me for some time and thought I'd toss it out into the open to see just how out of sync I am. It seems that the word "tactical" has become the buzzword for selling crappy unneeded stuff at three times it's value. Yes, I realize that a cut down "M990-B3 SPIFFY SOCOM SCOUT TACTICAL SPEC OPS RIFLE" looks and sounds cool, but how much of that type of thing is tactically relevant and how much is only gee whiz bells and whistles???

Tactics depend on training and mental flexibility, all of the picatinny hung crap in the world is not going to make WHAT you do tactically sound in spite of how much "tactical" stuff you buy. The idea is to apply what you have to what you're doing... but doing it correctly and efficiently. If YOU become "tactically minded", you'll realize that a dependable accurate usable weapons system is vastly more important than much of this crap that's being touted as necessary.

YOU are necessary... your BRAIN is necessary.... your mental and physical health are necessary. I think just about anyone who's had advanced military training will tell you that a good part of the training and indoctrination is mental. One of the primary qualifications for the Army Special Forces and other so called "elite" units is intelligence. You'd be hard pressed to find any dense people in Special Ops. The first thing you learn in training for any of these units IS NOT how to hang crap on a gun. You are first taught to think and trust yourself. Implicitly. You are taught to believe that nearly everything you see can be an effective weapon , that if need be a good stick or rock can get you out of about anything if you REALLY mean it. Special Ops guys tend to be cocky because they KNOW they can typically out-think, out-mean and just plain twist into a knot any situation they need to deal with. THEN, when you simply know you can do what's needed, you consider equipment. It has to be dependable, effective when used correctly and applicable to your situation.

Beyond that, you can put little Harpo Marx squeeze bulb horns (sorry "Tactical Squeeze Bulb...or TSB) all over the thing, paint it hot pink and if YOU are not up to the situation, you're still probably going too lose.

I am not specifically trying to belittle anyone's equipment choices, but before you spend BIG money on junk just because the word "tactical" is in the description, think about whether it actually adds to your effectiveness or merely pads the pocket of the guy selling it. YOU are the vital element, not that Harpo TSB. Trust yourself and use that extra money for food and ammo... you just may need it one day.

"thought I'd toss it out into the open to see just how out of sync I am" I would not presume to tell you how out of sync you are with the general populations thoughts. Regardless, you would still be correct. Thank you for a concise and factual reminder.

If you aren't out of sync for thinking like a utilitarian soldier then the someone who wants his gun to look "tacticool" is not necessarily out of sync either. Anyone can do whatever they want with their own firearms. There are thousands of people every day buying all that "junk" and hanging it off their barrels and rails. Most of these people have never and will never aim their bling bling rifle or shottie at a human being. A lot of these people are also just as capable of taking someone out with a rock or a stick as any green beret. If they want to pay someone to build them a custom gun or want to buy all the unnecessary parts they want and deck their gun out in it then that's their choice and that's what makes the firearm industry grow and prosper.

In the words of a real popular guy here on this forum, who does some of the most excellent work on these Saigas..."I make em cause they look cool and cool sells".

There's nothing wrong with that. If some "valley bitch" wants a rifle or shotgun that weighs twice as much as it used to, has every kind of laser, "tactical" light, muzzle attachment, optics, forward grip, grenade launcher, and friggin infra red satellite guided weapons system clamped to the damned thing let him do it. He just made someone some money that they can spend on their own firearms, food, and ammo.

I see your point, and I'm not saying you are the one out of sync, but to each his own. I can't stand people who turn their noses up at other people for whatever reason just because they think differently. BTW those were some pretty "bold" words..lol. :angel:

Wait a minute, you mean blasting away at water jugs at night with a 12 gauge equipped with a flashlight doesnt qualify me as an expert in CQC?

Youre right XBERET, this tactical craze is a bit ridiculous. I hate how any gun with a black synthetic stock is automatically more expensive than a wood stocked one. You throw police or tactical in a products name and it instantly has more value.

Its just a trend, and perhaps a reflection of our times. Lots of people are uneasy about lots of things nowadays, from Islamofacism to a pourous border to never ending violent crime and a fear of government intrusion. These things cause people to seek out secruity and peace of mind. The gun industry tailors their products to these feelings to some degree. People want guns that are more "tactical" than standard hunting style arms.

In any event, I think youd be hard pressed to find an entry team, police or military that was unequipped with weapons lights and even red dot or reflex sights. If the technology is there and it works, people will use it.

As for me, I just like shooting stuff at night... and I certainly wouldnt want an HD gun without a light.

Even worse are all the FFL company's springing up with tactical names. You can't tell who's who anymore.

Tactical Arms

Tactical Innovations

Tactical Solutions Inc (FL)

Tactical Solutions LLC (ID)

Tactics LLC

Then there's the Super Tactical, Max Tactics, Super ButtFuck Tactical and list goes on and on.

It's time to give that shit a break.

It's like that Honda motorcycle bullshit. First there was the CB series of bikes. Then they figure they will sell more if it's a "RACE" version so it becomes the CBR series. When that's not enough, they add another "R" to the mix like CBR900R. But that's still not enough so we end up with the CBR900RR. By 2015, there will be so many "R's" in the model designator they won't be able to fit the logo across the fucking bike.

Tony

I appreciate the feedback, and I do want to clarify one point.. my attitude towards the "tactical" bling is more a frustration thing about the people who get ripped off and pay 2-3 times the price over that one word. If you want any of that stuff, by all means get it. It's your choice and you are as correct in your choices as I am in mine. There are some really sharp people in this forum, but I'll bet there's a multitude of different positions on this.

Do I have a flashlight on my shotgun??? No....simply because I never sleep so it's never dark in my house. Do I think it's wrong or unnecessary to have one... absolutely NO.... they are a valuable addition and you should get what you want and need. Our realities are different. I have recently added a holographic sight system to one of my rifles.... I actually prefer basic sights because that's what I'm used to and I know they work for me, but I want to try this one to see what they can and can't do. If I don't like it, it in no way implies it's not a perfect choice for you.

I am old school, I admit it, but I have always been taught that what you know is more important than what you have. I also tend to think in military terms when I discuss firearms because that's where my experience lies. But I definitely enjoy other points of view because they make me think. I believe that thinking IS tactical....

BTW, I do the bold print because it's easier on my old eyes... sorry...

I appreciate the feedback, and I do want to clarify one point.. my attitude towards the "tactical" bling is more a frustration thing about the people who get ripped off and pay 2-3 times the price over that one word. If you want any of that stuff, by all means get it. It's your choice and you are as correct in your choices as I am in mine. There are some really sharp people in this forum, but I'll bet there's a multitude of different positions on this.

Do I have a flashlight on my shotgun??? No....simply because I never sleep so it's never dark in my house. Do I think it's wrong or unnecessary to have one... absolutely NO.... they are a valuable addition and you should get what you want and need. Our realities are different. I have recently added a holographic sight system to one of my rifles.... I actually prefer basic sights because that's what I'm used to and I know they work for me, but I want to try this one to see what they can and can't do. If I don't like it, it in no way implies it's not a perfect choice for you.

I am old school, I admit it, but I have always been taught that what you know is more important than what you have. I also tend to think in military terms when I discuss firearms because that's where my experience lies. But I definitely enjoy other points of view because they make me think. I believe that thinking IS tactical....

BTW, I do the bold print because it's easier on my old eyes... sorry...

Speaking of tired old eyes... red dots are great for that and have made shooting fun for me again instead of frustrating plus they really add to the bling-factor of your gun. :super:

:lolol:

You know, xberet is right is the man that makes the gun, not the gun that makes the man,

is a lot of crap call tactical that makes people think that installing it on the gun will make them

take the edge over the opponent, but is just like I say is the man makes the gun

no the gun makes the man.

In real life situations a lot of crap on the gun is just crap, shit that lights on or makes noise

just let the other guy know were you are and were to shoot.

If you think that the sound of a shell been loaded on a shotgun is going to

scare a bad guy you better think again or stop watching to many movies

same with that nice laser you got in the end of the gun, if you know were they

are and have the drop on them, before they have the drop on you

the only thing they going to find is if after life is how it supposed to be.

If you like stuff well is another thing, things make look cool, but hey they are just that

to look cool, before you get a laser or expensive flash light, I will get even the cheapest

night vision will even help a lot more, tritium sights, decent red dot or holographic sight.

But I have to remember that a lot of people in here are not people that are going to

go into any action or military conflict and that is the right for any one to install

anything on there guns as long as they are happy with it, hell if some one

want to install a express coffee makers on the butt stock so be it.

Just my 2 cents worth of nothing.

Edited by vjor
This is true tactical perfection

Do you know where I can get one of those? I think I made the drum for the wrong shotgun, damn. :lolol:

That is a great picture.

You could have given it a really cool name like sidewinder.

See, duct tape fixes everything.

Personally, I don't think all those bells and whistles will impress any of you guys if you broke into my house. But then again, I don't think any of you guys would do that. It's just a bunch of losers doing that shit. Ones that are just impressed by having one. Really here, do you think any one of them want to break into my house and face me? Those bells and whistles can go along ways with someone my size.

Calling something a tactical accessory - ok, no problem.

People posting on forums saying "I want to make my gun tactical" makes me want to bang my head on something.

Let it be known that while I make military length handguards, grooved ergonomic grips, and even installed a rail once, I don't make "tactical" accessories. I make furniture. Folks who use their guns for something besides compensating would benefit from thinking about the specific merits of a flashlight, laser, grips, shell holders, slings, bayonets, and such, vs an idea of a "tactical" gun. Which would be an otherwise useful gun covered with accessories that don't directly affect accuracy, capacity, rate of fire, or other things related to what a gun is supposed to do.

Why I like tactical toys...

Im a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm

Im a runaway son of the nuclear a-bomb

I am a worlds forgotten boy

The one who searches and destroys

Honey gotta help me please

Somebody gotta save my soul

Baby detonate for me

Look out honey, cause Im using technology

Aint got time to make no apology

Soul radiation in the dead of night

Love in the middle of a fire fight

Honey gotta strike me blind

Somebody gotta save my soul

Baby penerate my mind

And Im the worlds forgotten boy

The one whos searchin, searchin to destroy

And honey Im the worlds forgotten boyt

The one whos searchin, searchin to destroy

Forgotten boy, forgotten boy

Forgotten boy said hey forgotten boy ~IGGY

Edited by Cain Marko

.........I like the cheese knife best of all.............. That's just too funny !!!!

Here's a couple for you Racegal.........

post-3950-1183954954_thumb.jpg post-3950-1183955024_thumb.jpg

I mean, it's good to have a bad-ass weapon, but in the end, it's lining it up and pulling that trigger that counts.......regardless of what it looks like.

...oh, and this one...........

post-3950-1183955416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeaux E

Personally, I don't think all those bells and whistles will impress any of you guys if you broke into my house. But then again, I don't think any of you guys would do that. It's just a bunch of losers doing that shit. Ones that are just impressed by having one. Really here, do you think any one of them want to break into my house and face me? Those bells and whistles can go along ways with someone my size.

Racegal20, I'm fairly new here but I get the impression you don't let being "someone my size" stand in your way too much.

.........I like the cheese knife best of all.............. That's just too funny !!!!

Here's a couple for you Racegal.........

post-3950-1183954954_thumb.jpg post-3950-1183955024_thumb.jpg

I mean, it's good to have a bad-ass weapon, but in the end, it's lining it up and pulling that trigger that counts.......regardless of what it looks like.

...oh, and this one...........

post-3950-1183955416_thumb.jpg

I'm working on the aim part. Been practicing with Cobra. I just hope some poor sucker doesn't look at me at make the mistake of thinking I won't pull the trigger. I know I can hit him and I'm pretty sure I can hit him where it counts.

Racegal20, I'm fairly new here but I get the impression you don't let being "someone my size" stand in your way too much.

Not too much I don't. When you're small (5'5" 105 lbs.) you learn to compensate. :)

Speaking of "old school" tactical.. I found this in with a bunch of papers I was digging through. Never did find what I was after but that's normal. I thought these might interest some of you.

I took this picture a l-o-n-g time ago. The 16 is a first edition A1... when they first added the forward assist and with the prong style flash suppressor. It's got a "shoot off" cap on the muzzle as part of a futile attempt to keep the thing working.. The SKS and AK are self explanatory, I still have the import papers someplace from bringing the SKS home.

The carbine is an M2 selective fire. Tucked in on the right (with the flower in the barrel) is another M2 Carbine cut down into a pistol. That is not one of the best ideas I've ever had.. the noise and muzzle walk were horrendous. But it would sure snap off a 15 round magazine in a hurry !!!

I was making some sort of statement with the flower, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.

This is my first pic thing here, hope it workspost-6843-1184006077_thumb.jpg

Speaking of "old school" tactical.. I found this in with a bunch of papers I was digging through. Never did find what I was after but that's normal. I thought these might interest some of you.

I took this picture a l-o-n-g time ago. The 16 is a first edition A1... when they first added the forward assist and with the prong style flash suppressor. It's got a "shoot off" cap on the muzzle as part of a futile attempt to keep the thing working.. The SKS and AK are self explanatory, I still have the import papers someplace from bringing the SKS home.

The carbine is an M2 selective fire. Tucked in on the right (with the flower in the barrel) is another M2 Carbine cut down into a pistol. That is not one of the best ideas I've ever had.. the noise and muzzle walk were horrendous. But it would sure snap off a 15 round magazine in a hurry !!!

I was making some sort of statement with the flower, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.

This is my first pic thing here, hope it workspost-6843-1184006077_thumb.jpg

hey, cool pic, care to elaborate on it? i.e. Were these issued to you, how did you come to turn that m2 into a pistol, were you an armorer? I love the carbines, my old man has one, I shot the hell out of it as a kid, the M2 always intrigued me...

hey, cool pic, care to elaborate on it? i.e. Were these issued to you, how did you come to turn that m2 into a pistol, were you an armorer? I love the carbines, my old man has one, I shot the hell out of it as a kid, the M2 always intrigued me...

The carbines were... borrowed... from the local PF's... Popular Forces. They were intended to be a militia to guard the villages, in actuality they provided a good day job for the local VC. They were issued WW2 armamant.. BAR's , Garands, Thompson's, M1&2 Carbines.... The BARs and Garands they would give you for free, they were too big and bulky for their stature. The Thompson's they sold for BIG money, it's an incredible gun. The Carbines went for a pack or two of cigarettes, which was about 20-30 cents.

The cut down M2 was done by a navy armorer, he had a shop on a Navy barge and since we used the Navy PBRs for transportation, we got to know those guys... The pistol conversion was an attempt to get a high capacity backup piece I could carry in a pocket. I tried having a fatigue pants pocket stitched down the middle so the thing would fit tightly and not flip around but gave up on the carbine idea and got a Browning Hi-power.

I was fortunate in that there were only certain times I was required to carry an M-16. Mainly when we had to keep up the morale of our South Vietnamese allies. The rest of the time I could carry what I wanted and had no restrictions on drawing ammo. AK's work ( but then you all know that ), 16's don't.. it wasn't a hard decision to make.

I'm glad you liked the picture......

The carbines were... borrowed... from the local PF's... Popular Forces. They were intended to be a militia to guard the villages, in actuality they provided a good day job for the local VC. They were issued WW2 armamant.. BAR's , Garands, Thompson's, M1&2 Carbines.... The BARs and Garands they would give you for free, they were too big and bulky for their stature. The Thompson's they sold for BIG money, it's an incredible gun. The Carbines went for a pack or two of cigarettes, which was about 20-30 cents.

The cut down M2 was done by a navy armorer, he had a shop on a Navy barge and since we used the Navy PBRs for transportation, we got to know those guys... The pistol conversion was an attempt to get a high capacity backup piece I could carry in a pocket. I tried having a fatigue pants pocket stitched down the middle so the thing would fit tightly and not flip around but gave up on the carbine idea and got a Browning Hi-power.

I was fortunate in that there were only certain times I was required to carry an M-16. Mainly when we had to keep up the morale of our South Vietnamese allies. The rest of the time I could carry what I wanted and had no restrictions on drawing ammo. AK's work ( but then you all know that ), 16's don't.. it wasn't a hard decision to make.

I'm glad you liked the picture......

Hey thanks for the story. I'm a history buff and a gun collector so I love that stuff...