I will preface this by saying I have 3 Saiga's (plan on more) and I love them. I was at an auction and purchased a Stainless Mini-14 with Green laminate stock with a California Patrol Emblem in the stock for pretty cheap. I've shot it and it shot fine but the distance was only at 25 yards. I have also fired a Select Fire Mini from the same distance. I have not fired an extensive amount of ammo or at any longer distances. Every post I've read seems to bash them, and I've been told by friends that I'll be lucky to hit a paper plate at 100 yards. I do like more of a military pistol grip configuration, but like I said, the price was right, so I thought I'd give it a try. Does anyone care to share their experiences with them, to help me decide whether to keep it or go with another .223.

I had one and sold it. If you want an accurate .223 the mini-14s not it. There was an article on them that I will try and find,that talks about he new "accurate version",they just came out with. Basically the way they mated the barrel with the receiver was inconsistant. Some shot better than others,because of this.

The new version looks pretty nice,and its got a adjustable harmonic dampener,so you can tune it in.

post-1936-1183914251_thumb.jpg

They call it a "ranch rifle" for reason. Its meant to toss in your truck and shoot on the farm. One guy said he shot 1 1/2 groups @ 100 with quality ammo.

Its a fun plinker,so if thats what you want keep it,but if you want an accurate .223 its sitting at the bottom of the list. I liked mine but did'nt have a use for it,and if I want an accurate .223 I'm not going to tune in my harmonic dampener,I'll just by a new Thompson barrel,or by a sweet bull barrel AR.

Google mini-14 accuracy. I've done a little reading and some people claim ok groups ,but some shot 5.5",and 3" groups from a rest with scope and quality ammo@100 yards. Thats not good. One guy said his shoots minute-of-paper-plate. :lolol:

Is it legal to use the terms "Mini-14" and "accuracy" in the same sentence? :devil: (thats a quote from another guy.)

I have had a few over the years. Very reliable and they rarely break parts. Groups with the .223's run about 3" at 100 yards. For many applications, that's good enough, but it's not going to be your long range prairie dog gun. I had a 7.62x39 for awhile as well, and that thing was worthless. Groups were 12"+ at 100 yards with that thing. I have a 13" AC556 now and it's a nice handy package. For a ranch gun I like it much better than an M4 Carbine due to it's compact size specifically the narrowness from top to bottom.

My experience:

I had 13 factory hi caps given to me, borrowed a friends Mini-14 and wasted a 5 gallon bucket with it out at 200'... went bang every time I pulled the trigger, not very extensive experience but it worked for around the farm we shot at.

I have had a few over the years. Very reliable and they rarely break parts. Groups with the .223's run about 3" at 100 yards. For many applications, that's good enough, but it's not going to be your long range prairie dog gun. I had a 7.62x39 for awhile as well, and that thing was worthless. Groups were 12"+ at 100 yards with that thing. I have a 13" AC556 now and it's a nice handy package. For a ranch gun I like it much better than an M4 Carbine due to it's compact size specifically the narrowness from top to bottom.

That vertical giganticness of the M4 is what I've always hated about it. I like the M-1 carbine design.

i've owned 2.

sold the ranch rifle. it was very inaccurate.

kept the actual "mini 14" due to the original design, they quit making them in this setup. they are all ranch rifles now. and it seems to be alot more accurate than the ranch rifle.

with prvi partizan 55gr fmj i was getting about 1 inch groups. the rounds were just about touching. this was from about 45-50 yards open irons.

alot of people told me that the way they torque the gas block screws throws the accuracy off. if you loosen them up, re-torque them to the same poundage, then your groups should be a bit better.

thats another reason why they were hit and miss on the accuracy. some better than others.

don't know about ya'll, but i'm not spending that much money on a rifle that i have to adjust the damn thing so it will shoot more accurately from time to time. i want to be able to slap some rounds in and shoot the balls off a moth............well, since we are talking about mini 14s maybe i should say shoot the balls off a dinosaur.

Edited by TWGLADF

I like the older Mini-14 rifles which are good shooters as long as you use anti seize lubricant on the gas piston to keep it from sticking. Also you have to use either factory or Pro Mag magazines, others may work but these are the the best ones. The polymer Pro Mags worked flawlessly for me and dropped out of the rifle when released. Some other aftermarket mags didn't work so well for me or crapped out after working well and I threw them out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mini 30 in 7.62x39 and it has a Russian 2-5x24mm scope and i can repeatedly hit an aluminum can at 100m with one shot. I am happy with it. The original problem with this caliber is when these first came out the bore ID was .308 and you know 7.62x39 is .311,vis a vis, poor accuracy . They all come now with .310 ID bores i believe, you can check by serial number. I think Ruger had to wait for Bill Ruger to kick off before they changed over.(Ha Ha)

I like the older Mini-14 rifles which are good shooters as long as you use anti seize lubricant on the gas piston to keep it from sticking. Also you have to use either factory or Pro Mag magazines, others may work but these are the the best ones. The polymer Pro Mags worked flawlessly for me and dropped out of the rifle when released. Some other aftermarket mags didn't work so well for me or crapped out after working well and I threw them out.

Actually, most of the heavy Mini-14 users consider Ruger Factory, PMI*, and the original Thermolds as the best magazines (*PMI's also sold as Federal Ordinance). Unfortunately, of the three, only the Ruger factory mags are still made (but a bit hard to get and expensive).

ProMags seem to be a mixed bag. I've had good luck with them, but many have not.

C Products is supposed to be producing a Mini-14 mag soon, and PMI (which still has the dies) is contemplating resuming production.

I will preface this by saying I have 3 Saiga's (plan on more) and I love them. I was at an auction and purchased a Stainless Mini-14 with Green laminate stock with a California Patrol Emblem in the stock for pretty cheap. I've shot it and it shot fine but the distance was only at 25 yards. I have also fired a Select Fire Mini from the same distance. I have not fired an extensive amount of ammo or at any longer distances. Every post I've read seems to bash them, and I've been told by friends that I'll be lucky to hit a paper plate at 100 yards. I do like more of a military pistol grip configuration, but like I said, the price was right, so I thought I'd give it a try. Does anyone care to share their experiences with them, to help me decide whether to keep it or go with another .223.

well... i love the hell outa my rancher... damned fine machine

i retired my steel mags in favor of the pro-mags i recently purchased

clark custom barrels make a graphite barrell shroud that improves accuracy

is that a ranch version... how cheap are they nowadays

i'd love to get another one... in stainless