Scoping your 308

I know this will sound very un-American, but look at the Chinese knockoffs of the Aimpoint, EOTech and Doctor Red Dot scopes. I ordered a $40.00 Aimpoint knock-off a couple days ago off of eBay. It should be here in a couple of weeks (coming from China). I'll let you know about the quality when it gets here.

Remember, you get what you pay for, so don't expect Aimpoint or EOTech quality from a knock-off, but for a cheap trial setup, they shouldn't be that bad. If you like it, then you can start looking for a good, used, real one!

How cheap is cheap? You can get a Kobra with mount for under $200, and they hold up to anything you'll put it thru.

I picked up an Aimpoint clone, but the jury is still out as to how it holds up with the 308 recoil. I have it on my G3, so it won't get beat as bad as a lot of 308's would.

What would be a good red dot type scope for my stock 308. I will be hunting with it but no shoots past 100yds. And I am on a budget.

Thanks,

For this application the russian PK-AS with the off set AK mount is the best for the money. The glass is tip top and it has a range finder AND if your, battery fails it still works with the BLACK dot.

What would be a good red dot type scope for my stock 308. I will be hunting with it but no shoots past 100yds. And I am on a budget.

Thanks,

For this application the russian PK-AS with the off set AK mount is the best for the money. The glass is tip top and it has a range finder AND if your, battery fails it still works with the BLACK dot.

It does not have a range finder. I bought one to give to my brother for Christmas last year, and was disappointed when it arrived, that there was no range finding function. When I asked the place I bought it (Kalinka) how to work the range finder, they told me there wasn't one, and offered to take it back and refund my money when I threw up the bullshit flag, since the description on their site says it has a rangefinder. Ended up giving it to my brother as a gift anyway since it was still a nice sight and worth the money.

Thanks,

It does not have a range finder. I bought one to give to my brother for Christmas last year, and was disappointed when it arrived, that there was no range finding function. When I asked the place I bought it (Kalinka) how to work the range finder, they told me there wasn't one, and offered to take it back and refund my money when I threw up the bullshit flag, since the description on their site says it has a rangefinder. Ended up giving it to my brother as a gift anyway since it was still a nice sight and worth the money.

Hmmm, are you sure you are not thinking about a Kobra red dot? The PK-AS does have a range finder. The dot is a 1 minute dot WITHIN a 75 minute elliptical ring. The ring is your range finder. A 1.7 meter target or something 5'8" tall fits into that ring a 200m and half that at 400m. The width can also be measured but I cannot remember the exact numbers. I can get them if you like. It is not like a scale rangefinder but was devised for quick target acqusition and rangeing.

Hmmm, are you sure you are not thinking about a Kobra red dot? The PK-AS does have a range finder. The dot is a 1 minute dot WITHIN a 75 minute elliptical ring. The ring is your range finder. A 1.7 meter target or something 5'8" tall fits into that ring a 200m and half that at 400m. The width can also be measured but I cannot remember the exact numbers. I can get them if you like. It is not like a scale rangefinder but was devised for quick target acqusition and rangeing.

I think calling a reticle of known size a "range finder" is a bit of an exaggeration. Range estimation aid, maybe. And I didn't even get that much of an explanation when I wrote them to ask.

Mueller scopes are, for the money, the best around. Only $115.00.

http://www.gunkings.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=297

I second Mueller scopes. I've got the new IR Mildot x50 model, but I haven't put it on the .308 yet as I'm afraid the flying brass will bang the crap out of it. Probably going to fashion a deflector just in case.

Mueller scopes are, for the money, the best around. Only $115.00.

http://www.gunkings.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=297

I second Mueller scopes. I've got the new IR Mildot x50 model, but I haven't put it on the .308 yet as I'm afraid the flying brass will bang the crap out of it. Probably going to fashion a deflector just in case.

If you do manage to fashion a deflector, go ahead and make 2 and I'll buy one from you. I'm a lefty.

Small print reads "not suitable for heavy magnum callibers".

Most of us gun monkies need a scope rated "guarenteed ape proof. Use as either a hammer or anvil is not recommended, however unless scope is used as such in a commercial enterprise we generally honor our 100% free replacement poilcy.".

Edited by G O B

Most of us gun monkies need a scope rated "guarenteed ape proof. Use as either a hammer or anvil is not recommended, however unless scope is used as such in a commercial enterprise we generally honor our 100% free replacement poilcy.".

[insert newb disclaimer here]

Is .308 a MAGNUM caliber?

Was that in reference to the Mueller scopes?

Yes it was. Still waiting to hear whether or not a .308 is considered a MAGNUM caliber.

Yes it was. Still waiting to hear whether or not a .308 is considered a MAGNUM caliber.

Don't know about his opinion, but it's not in mine. Heck it's held it's zero on a .308 bolt gun. I think that's more recoil than the S-308 has. I didn't find any fine print on the Mueller website or in my manual that said anything about magnum calibers either.

Don't know about his opinion, but it's not in mine. Heck it's held it's zero on a .308 bolt gun. I think that's more recoil than the S-308 has. I didn't find any fine print on the Mueller website or in my manual that said anything about magnum calibers either.

It says it on the gunkings.com website. But if you say yours holds its zero, that's good enough for me. I'm thinking about pulling mine off my 10/22 Ruger and putting it on the 308.

It says it on the gunkings.com website. But if you say yours holds its zero, that's good enough for me. I'm thinking about pulling mine off my 10/22 Ruger and putting it on the 308.

I'm still not finding the fine print on gunkings. I've got the 4-16x50 ao IR mildot model. They've also tested it on snipercentral against leopolds.