COBRA RAIL is ready...

:smoke:

Started this project months ago, planned it for a couple of years. Finally made the time to finish it. This is an option to allow mounting of forward optics solidly on any Saiga shotgun.

post-1293-1186072462_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072489_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072577_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072643_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072733_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072758_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072780_thumb.jpg

:devil:

Link to for sale ad...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry158614

:eek: Lookin' good man! Bout time somebody made a low-profile rail like that.

Mad Props! Keep up the good work!

Thanks y'all! I'm diggin it!

Actually I have some more rail stock that is about half the thickness. I could use it to make one even lower. I think it's strong enough as is (not to flex) but it might require a couple of small machine screws down thru it and touching the gas tube if it does flex any. I'm going to try to put one of those together tonite and see...

This one is very strong though and would be fine with any optic mounted. Hell the brothers might even be able to put a vert grip on it and some homey sights on the side of the barrel for those extra cool drive-by sessons....lol! :eek::lolol:

Hello, Cobra

Reckon that would work with a Dinzag modified Galil-type grip and his awesome bolt-on adapter? It appears to be pretty much independent of the forearm.

TIA for a reply,

Guido2 in Houston

Hello, Cobra

Reckon that would work with a Dinzag modified Galil-type grip and his awesome bolt-on adapter? It appears to be pretty much independent of the forearm.

TIA for a reply,

Guido2 in Houston

Yes Definitely. I have one on the bench I'm working on now with that kind of HG. I'll see if I can get some pics up for ya.

Is the rail set up to be used with any back up iron sights or optics only?

Actually this one was designed to replace the vent rib sights on the older style guns (and new ones). It could serve as a sight rib all by itself. If you want it to serve this purpose you simply put a spring under the front for elevation adjustment and you have basically the same thing. I can supply an optional front screw to serve as a front bead sight.

With the other rail being thinner and closer to the gun, it should be usable with an elevated front sight like the Krebs or modified AK front sight. I'm still working on that one and hope to make it compatible with the rear ghost ring as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Wouldn't happen to have enough of that rail left to put under my Galil forend whilst you've got my baby would you? :o

Sure man I picked up some more rail at the gun show last weekend. Why don't you bring that baby by and we will see if I can make it work with the Galil HG. How long do you want the rail to be?

Cobra,

Is this made to replace the factory rail set up or will it work on a none rail gun?

Yes John I designed it to replace the rib style sights OR the pistol sights.

Edited by Cobra 76 two
Thunderbear is this kind of like what you had in mind? ;)

post-1293-1187267179_thumb.jpg

I had more of a flush mount between the swells on the forend, going the full length between them, so I can put some MagPul covers on them when the forend isn't on there. Is that as clear as mud?

Cobra, buddy. . .was that set up on a ramped model with the dovetail and front adjuster connection? Or can that be mounted on any S-12? Please advise.

Yes I can make this rail to fit any Saiga shotgun, no matter what kind of sights it had from the factory.

And after reading another one of your current posts about forward top rails and overheating optics, I think mine has yet another advantage over the Ultimak rail...it allows better cooling because the gas tube is not enclosed so much by solid material, therefor optics will not be exposed to the same kind of heat transfer.

Yes I can make this rail to fit any Saiga shotgun, no matter what kind of sights it had from the factory.

Interested in a stock S-12 vent rib for either my new .410 or 20

I just like the stock look.

What did you do with your old one?

Is it for Sale?

Would it even work on any of my new guns?

Thanks for your time

By the way great work on your Rail ... very nice!!!

Is it for Sale?

Thanks for your time

Sory it took so long but i just saw this. Been really busy lately.

It's not an easy task to put a factory adjustable vent rib sight on a gun that came with pistol sights. Maybe on a 410 if you have an ancient one like mine that came with the full un-adjustable rib...

Problem is, the gas block is not thick enough to thread for the stud needed to secure the front and put the adjustment wheel on.

Then if you were to try and weld it on, the stud is very short and you would have to cover some of the threads at the bottom with your weld, greatly limiting adjustment. That's why you don't see people doing that conversion. I wanted to do the same thing with my factory camo S-12 that I'm leaving stock but haven't tried it yet. Only real option I can think of would be to drill a hole in the gasblock just large enough for the threads on the stud to clear and find a metric bolt that size with a flat head on it and grind the head flatterwhere necessary to insert it from the inside and have it still clear the piston. :unsure:

Is it for Sale?

Thanks for your time

Sory it took so long but i just saw this. Been really busy lately.

It's not an easy task to put a factory adjustable vent rib sight on a gun that came with pistol sights. Maybe on a 410 if you have an ancient one like mine that came with the full un-adjustable rib...

Problem is, the gas block is not thick enough to thread for the stud needed to secure the front and put the adjustment wheel on.

Then if you were to try and weld it on, the stud is very short and you would have to cover some of the threads at the bottom with your weld, greatly limiting adjustment. That's why you don't see people doing that conversion. I wanted to do the same thing with my factory camo S-12 that I'm leaving stock but haven't tried it yet. Only real option I can think of would be to drill a hole in the gasblock just large enough for the threads on the stud to clear and find a metric bolt that size with a flat head on it and grind the head flatterwhere necessary to insert it from the inside and have it still clear the piston. :unsure:

Hello Cobra 76

Thanks for getting back to me.

Actually you wrote back quicker that I thought

Hopefully you were very busy shooting.

You stated;

"It's not an easy task to put a factory adjustable vent rib sight

on a gun that came with pistol sights. "

The fact that's its not easy is an attractive challenge to me.

I would love to have a rare yet some what stock looking 410.

Unfortunately my 410 & 20 are the newer ones ... Bummer I think?

But ... I am surgical with a Dremmel! :)

Is there a risk in drilling a hole in the gas block?

When do you think you'll do the same thing with your factory camo S-12

Would love to see the results.

Keep me posted.

Oh yeah, are these Vent Rib adjustable Sights even available?

Thanks again ... Jeff

Jeff you could probably find one if you asked around here on the forum. A lot of people don't like them and took them off to replace with other sight systems or rails.

I'm so swamped with other projects like this rail right now I don't know when I'll be able to go surgical on any of my old S-12s for awhile.... :cryss:

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Lots of people have been requesting a top rail that they could also see there aftermarket iron sights thru. I've got the Russian elevated FSB and custom rear sight on one of my S-12s and wanted the same so if I remove the optic I can still use the other sights without having to remove the rail.

Here's what I came up with...decided to post this here instead of in the Ultimak thread where people were asking about being able to see their irons with it mounted.

I've been working on a new, even lower profile rail that can be used with the Krebs and maybe the Russian elevated S-12 sights that Makc has for sale here on the forum. This one is with the Krebs Custom sights which I have grown quite fond of.

Still not quite finished, I need to mill a slot the length of the rail. This will only be a small slot thru the raised ribs and shouldn't compromise strength. As it is now the front sight pin is already visible. I just want a better view to allow for more elevation adjustment. This will work with either the old style vent rib guns or the pistol sights.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I wanted to go ahead and get this out there. I'll post some better ones when I'm done milling the slot along the top.

post-1293-1190212300_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190212313_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190212324_thumb.jpg

Hello, Cobra

Sure do like that Krebs sight, man! Wish I could get one.....

One thing I found about the Docter red dot is that there is no means of removing it easily. The EoTechs that I am accustomed to have a knurled knob that can be quickly and easily manipulated to remove the sight. The Docter not only requires an Allen wrench, but it's some obscure */64" size that I have trouble locating even in my shop.

I'm going to try to locate a suitable replacement for that. In the meantime, I'm trying (hoping) to be able to make a set up work without having to remove the Docter. It will certainly require a tall front sight.....

Thanks for the pic's and the tips. Would you be able and willing to machine a groove in an Ultimak rail as well? That would be almost mandatory. It would function as a stand-alone sight in a pinch.....At least once you figured the range out.

The best,

guido2 in Houston