Safety lever scratching finish on receiver!

Ok, I am new to the Ak/Saiga guns and just started my first conversion. I am beginning to get a definite mark on the receiver finish from moving the safety lever. It is actually wearing away the paint.

(1) Is this normal?

(2)How can I fix or modify the safety lever to lessen the scratching of the finish?

dscf0348xk2.jpg

(1) Yes, it's quite normal.

(2) It was designed that way. If you attempt to adjust it, you may a) succeed B) break it off c) mangle it so it doesn't work properly

AKs are not meant to be 'pretty'. They are meant to be functional.

Edited by nalioth
Ok, I am new to the Ak/Saiga guns and just started my first conversion. I am beginning to get a definite mark on the receiver finish from moving the safety lever. It is actually wearing away the paint.

(1) Is this normal?

(2)How can I fix or modify the safety lever to lessen the scratching of the finish?

dscf0348xk2.jpg

The front scratch is normal and pretty much unavoidable. BUT, that other rub mark behind the thin scratch is not normal. Your safety lever shouldn't be rubbing in that area. If you try to bend it out be sure to block it up with some wood so you don't distort else. It looks like it would be very simple to knock the rub out. Go from the side rubbing (obviously) and gently try to lightly tap it out with another piece of wood or a brass rod. As long as your not using steel or something with a point you should be able to get it out without every knowing it was ever there at all (right after you refinish that rub).

post-2662-1191359790.jpgThis guy is getting an extra rub. The scratch in the yellow circle shouldn't be worried about as it is unavoidable if you want to use your gun. The rub mark in the red circle is not normal. It might not be a noticable difference in easy of funtion but it is taking extra frition in that area. I don't mind a scratch or mark on my gun from use, but I don't think I would like the rub marked on my gun caused by a part that is off spec.

That one needs a whack. Put a screwdriver in a rag and push it under the part of the lever that rubs. and whack the part that makes the other scratch. Don't force the safty arm verry far , just enough to get a little clearance.

Yup scratches are normal. Everyone one of mine has that telltale scratch on it.

I've even painted them over again with some good old high heat rustoleum BBQ paint and they still come back.

Not a big deal it is supposed to be that way.

Only time it gets funky is when you switch out safety levers and have multiple scratches show up.

I had my original lever, then a Yugo safety lever I cut to make a BHO then I got the Black Jack Buffer BHO, 3 Different scratches on the gun, thats why I ended up repainting it.