I am new to the AK line of weaponry and also the competitions. I'm looking for some advise on how to speed re-load the Saiga (what works, what does not...). When at the range, most people tend to drop the old mag and load the new one with their left hand, and then rack the action with their right hand. Seems like a lot of extra switching around for a competition. I've been playing here in the house trying to get a good left hand, reach under to rack the bolt back. Seems to allow me to keep my rifle pointed in the general direction of the targets and still have my trigger hand in place. What do you guys think?

Here is my secret,

I am right handed but shoot left handed, due to a lack of supervision as a child, my Dad gave me a bb gun and turned me lose.

Never let your gun run dry, I know that is hard to do especially in a target rich enviroment, say you start out with 10 plus 1 like I do, each shot count backwards, 11, 10, 9,8,7 etc that way you know exactly how much ammo is in your gun when you have fired 10 rounds reload on the closed bolt.

Another method is to count the targets, last match I had 5 thru the high barrel then 5 thru the low barrel I knew when I got up to run to the next set of targets I had to reload on my way. If you count your targets and plan your reloads then exicute the plan your way a head, sometimes I miss and that screws things up. Also have alot of magazines with you, if you see an opertunity to reload drop the mag and put a fresh one in.

I keep my mags ammo up in my tactical vest, because I can just grab it and stick it in the gun.

Topmaul.jpg

This picture really illustrates my method of setting up magazines.

hope this helped

Great information. Sheeezzzz that guy is fast. I thought I was doing well until I saw him moving. He has a good idea. Grab the new mag first, then knock the old one out of the way. Forget trying to grab it, just hit the release lever and knock it forward. Then you already have the new mag in your hand. There is no need to redouble your efforts.

BAD:

1. Reach up for emtpy mag.

2. Reach down for new mag.

3. Reach up to insert new mag.

GOOD:

1. Reach down for new mag.

2. Reach up and knock old mag, then insert new mag.

This guy isn't quite as fast, but something about having the GP-25 on there makes it look much cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgH6tHgyvY...ted&search=

I've seen that one too. Anyone know the purpose of that wiggle/dance he does before the mag change :unsure: ?

I assume this is a magazine change/malfunction check. If a trigger pull goes "click" instead of "bang" you either a) have an empty mag or B) have a malfunction. Either way you need to change magazines.

I think he does the second flip to give a visual inspection that the bolt is seated fully forward and/or the jam is clear. It impresses me that he does the entire movement while taking a knee to reduce his profile while reloading.

• 1 year later...

Anyone shooting an s-12, and wishing for an ambidextruous bolt hold open? Or a last round bolt hold open? New mags won't go in until the bolt is clear, so forget about keeping the chamber hot to help with getting the next mag running. I've been shooting lefty just to help with this unfortunate mechanical shortfall, but I'm glad you don't have this encumberance topmaul. Anyone got any ideas / mods for shooting eighty and getting the bolt back w/o removing finger from trigger or eyes from target?

Here's a non-retention reload done for demonstration purposes.I never advocate reloading without cover and yes you should go for a fresh magazine before it runs dry if at all possible but when you are scared or amped up you probably won't remember your round count so you should have a reflex to reload when there is a click instead of a bang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqkgI-wo4k

Here is a guy who has his head on straight,when he bolos one of the mag changes he is reaching for a replacement INSTANTLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exM7mVHpog

Here's a Frontsite guy

Here's another guy even when not hitting the reload quite right still finishes the reload smartly

Edited by SOPMOD
Ha! I'm the one in the blue hoodie!

I'm the guy who complimented your reflexes on grabbing the replacement mag and the guy with the fishing vest covering his body armor in the black and white video

Edited by SOPMOD
  • 4 weeks later...
Here's a non-retention reload done for demonstration purposes.I never advocate reloading without cover and yes you should go for a fresh magazine before it runs dry if at all possible but when you are scared or amped up you probably won't remember your round count so you should have a reflex to reload when there is a click instead of a bang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqkgI-wo4k

Here is a guy who has his head on straight,when he bolos one of the mag changes he is reaching for a replacement INSTANTLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exM7mVHpog

Here's a Frontsite guy

Here's another guy even when not hitting the reload quite right still finishes the reload smartly

Thes are great vids of reload techniques from very skilled shooters and would work real well in most situations. However, for competiton shooting, they all require shooters to cross UNDER the Saiga with Left hand to cycle the bolt, which takes a little extra time.

There are two other options I know of.

One, get a vertical extension on charging handle, so you can sweep the left hand over the TOP of receiver and avoid the reach arround.

Two, a REALLY slick option is what E-TAC does by putting another charging handle on LEFT side of gun. We are only talking fractions of second improvement but in competition every bit really counts.

• 2 months later...