They scare me, I think I'd rather be shot in a non-lethal area with lead-safe ammo.

Without a doubt they're going to find out it causes permanent damage to every part of the nervous system, including brain, spine, and all nerves.

Also, Canada is reviewing the use of tasers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/16/...in3512452.shtml

Edited by Twinsen

Ive been shot with one, which I agreed to beforehand. I will also note that I got up from a chemical pepper spray first, and it was in a training facility, for those nice boys in blue that protect and serve us. The tazer put me on my ass, but I was able to immediately recover and resume an attack posture, and it was directly related to my tolerance of physical pain.

AS FOR TORTURE. you get what you ask for. be glad it isnt a fucking lead bullet. STAY DOWN YOU IDIOT. People must like how that feels, if they get up and attack.

AS FOR WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT. you could very well be killed with over-use of this device, and it could very well be used TO torture someone with. The way and amount of stress your body and system reacts to large amperage, combined with beating you, and you bleeding massively, quickly? YOU SHOULDA STAYED ON THE GROUND.

with that said.

Id still rather be shot with a tazer than a .223, 308, 9mm, .40, 12 gauge, etc. I will also say that if you are in the middle of being tazered, and you are struck, well, im no doctor or anyhting, but its gonna screw you up bad. think about it. THAT might be what needs changing. use a tazer? all other force must be suspended.

This bandwagon that people ride knowingly and unknowingly to attack our police disgusts me. ...and F the UN.

Edited by Bvamp
Why does anyone give a rat's ass what those morons at the UN think??!!

Why would they even care? Aren't they trying to create a one world government? I figured they would say tasers are great! If someone was tasered and become a mindless freak zombie would they fall into the class "zombie" to terminate with extreme predijuce?

Why does anyone give a rat's ass what those morons at the UN think??!!

But it's totally OK for UN officials to repeatedly rape young girls in Africa.

puts a whole new meaning to the UN is pulling out.

Self serving Evil bastards.

"Black leaders held a rally Tuesday calling for the department to ban Tasers, at least until there is a clear policy on how they are used. The NAACP says it appears the sheriff's office is using Tasers routinely, rather than as a weapon of last resort."

The weapon of last resort would have been the gun at which point he would most likely have been killed anyway. Tasers are less than lethal but that doesn't mean they are safe. Just like chokeholds, armbars, and wristlocks are less than lethal but can lead to injury or death. There is no safe way to arrest people that are out of hand. If they will resist arrest there is a strong possibility they will escalate the situation, at which point the police may resort to lethal force. I don't think there is a good LEO alive that would let someone they might have to arrest approach them close enough to physically assault them regardless if that person is armed or not. That's called a standoff distance and you need to keep that in mind if you think you can approach an officer to have a private chat.

If you disagree with an LEO, forget about winning that argument right then and there on the spot (like the guy who tried to walk away from the deputy who told him to turn around and put his hands behind his back). They will assume the worst (like you are ignoring him to return to your vehicle to retrieve a weapon) and act accordingly (taser your ass, tackle you, cuff you, etc.). Do not escalate the situation (shout, become threatening, or worse....run) because things will most likely work out badly for you in the immediate future.

Best advice, don't get involved in situations that would require the police to taser your ass.

"Black leaders held a rally Tuesday calling for the department to ban Tasers, at least until there is a clear policy on how they are used. The NAACP says it appears the sheriff's office is using Tasers routinely, rather than as a weapon of last resort."

The weapon of last resort would have been the gun at which point he would most likely have been killed anyway. Tasers are less than lethal but that doesn't mean they are safe. Just like chokeholds, armbars, and wristlocks are less than lethal but can lead to injury or death. There is no safe way to arrest people that are out of hand. If they will resist arrest there is a strong possibility they will escalate the situation, at which point the police may resort to lethal force. I don't think there is a good LEO alive that would let someone they might have to arrest approach them close enough to physically assault them regardless if that person is armed or not. That's called a standoff distance and you need to keep that in mind if you think you can approach an officer to have a private chat.

If you disagree with an LEO, forget about winning that argument right then and there on the spot (like the guy who tried to walk away from the deputy who told him to turn around and put his hands behind his back). They will assume the worst (like you are ignoring him to return to your vehicle to retrieve a weapon) and act accordingly (taser your ass, tackle you, cuff you, etc.). Do not escalate the situation (shout, become threatening, or worse....run) because things will most likely work out badly for you in the immediate future.

Best advice, don't get involved in situations that would require the police to taser your ass.

true you shouldnt even argue with the cops that is what court is for. they wouldnt be there if there wasnt a problem. i watch some of these videos and boy do some ppl ask for it. this is 1 of the VERY few times i would agree with NAACP. cops shouldnt be put in harms way but ppl shouldnt be tazed over and over for any reason either,some boundaries need to be set on use example:like how many times u can taze a person in a certain time period,if they dont stop then use your night stick i havent researched deaths by nightsticks but i bet its alot less than tasers some ppl just need a good old fashion ass beating.

I will also say that if you are in the middle of being tazered, and you are struck, well, im no doctor or anyhting, but its gonna screw you up bad. think about it. THAT might be what needs changing. use a tazer? all other force must be suspended.

You have my curiosity peeked, what does being hit/struck while being tazered do?

You have my curiosity peeked, what does being hit/struck while being tazered do?

For starters, you can't defend yourself. Your muscles are locked up, you can't curl into a fetal position, and your entire body is exposed. I would also guess that because your muscles are already stiffened up, you can't absorb the blows as well.

to add to gunnyR's response to 22 shooters curiosity, I will give you a picture. take a balloon, blow it up till its the size its supposed to be. tie it off. hit it on some things. it dont pop. well, squeeze the balloon to its max pressure THEN hit it around. it wont always pop, but its a LOT easier to pop. think of this in terms of blood vessles in the human body. also, you can give someone a coranry arrest with one of them things if used improperly. you shouldnt be giving the cops the chance to tazer you in the first place, however, and its your own fault.

the problem with a tazer is its not being used to put the guy down, then they arent tackled and detained in the examples Ive been hearing about. you put the guy on the ground and GRAB HOLD. you shouldnt blast the person, turn it off, then blast them again when they get all mad and start fighting back, then blast em again beat em up etc. the guy is down, do the job at hand and detain the prick. thats just my opinion though.

I'm more afraid of tazers than of guns. Why? Because it seems like people aren't as hesitant to taze as they are to shoot a resisting suspect.

Giving cops tazers is a good idea in say, detention centers where if they are disarmed by the prisoners, then the prisoners only have less-than lethal weapons instead of guns.

Cops with tazers on the street use them too readily. This results in a trigger happiness because they get this idea that everytime they pull that tazer they shoot it and subdue the victim.

Let's say Officer Joe Johnson uses a tazer once a week to subdue a resistant suspect. Every week he pulls it out, pulls the trigger and drops the bad guys.

Now Officer Joe Johnson has this subconscious idea that if the suspect is resisting, use the weapon to subdue.

Now Officer Joe pulls his gun because he left his tazer at the office or in the car. THe suspect isn't violently resisting, isn't threatening, but maybe isn't cooperating. Joe's become dependant on that tazer so without it all that's left is his 9mm. He pulls the trigger to subdue and gets a bang instead of a zap.

That's all I'm saying.

I dunno Noobie...that sounds too simplified.

I'm not disagreeing that there may be LEO's that use them more often that others or even improperly but I don't think they would become dependent on them. It ought to be counter to their mindset to become that dependent on one tool or skill.

There is an entire continuum of force available to them that ranges from deescalation (talking) to less than lethal (physical restraints, taser) to lethal.

Although bvamp does bring up a good point that follow through is essential to avoid prolonged "taserizing".

Look at it this way:

If I was to tie you to a chair and attach electrodes to you, then shock you everytime you answered a question in a manner that I thought was dishonest, that would be torture.

Whats the difference when you use it to gain compliance?

Cops aren't using it to protect their lives, they are abusing it for compliance.

After a certain amount of physical interaction, a LEO can shoot you. Thats the way it should be.

I often say that politicians who have a general distrust of the publics' ability to act as responsible adults should resign their positions. Perhaps the same should be true of LEOs.

to add to gunnyR's response to 22 shooters curiosity, I will give you a picture. take a balloon, blow it up till its the size its supposed to be. tie it off. hit it on some things. it dont pop. well, squeeze the balloon to its max pressure THEN hit it around. it wont always pop, but its a LOT easier to pop. think of this in terms of blood vessles in the human body. also, you can give someone a coranry arrest with one of them things if used improperly. you shouldnt be giving the cops the chance to tazer you in the first place, however, and its your own fault.

the problem with a tazer is its not being used to put the guy down, then they arent tackled and detained in the examples Ive been hearing about. you put the guy on the ground and GRAB HOLD. you shouldnt blast the person, turn it off, then blast them again when they get all mad and start fighting back, then blast em again beat em up etc. the guy is down, do the job at hand and detain the prick. thats just my opinion though.

Gotcha. Note to self: Do not get into a situation where cops will tazer me :D.

Tasers are not the tool that is needed. They do not immobilize harmlessly- the electrocute you so 900# of cops can jump on your chest and beat you. That is the problem, they do not do the job of subduing someone harmlessly.

It is an expensive and overhyped gee-wiz "as seen on TV" tool that does a poor job.

As for the UN__

US out of the UN.--- UN out of the US!

We used to buy up the cheapie tazers at the Jacksonville flea market.

run around the barracks and taze the shit out of each other.

Kinda like tag for sadist... :devil:

It is.

Excruciating pain, THE WORST LEVEL OF PAIN, for compliance. Thats what torture is for.

Is it fun? I'd have to say no. But not torture, IMHO. I've never have dealt with a taser, but I was an electrical helper for quite a few years. My ex was an electrician. And I'm been 'hooked up'. Couldn't move. My son was walking towards me and all I could do is pray that he didn't touch me. Felt like forever. But there were no long term effects.

But my understanding is the tasers are under 1 amp and about 50,000 volts. It was explained to me way back when that amps are like a large flowing river. It may not be moving fast but there's enough water to drown you. Amps are the amount of power. Volts are like a small stream running really fast. It may hit you hard but most people can handle the force. Volts are how fast they are coming at you.

I again say it's not torture. Again, IMHO.

Edit to add: I haven't seen any stories of officers using them against people that haven't done anything wrong. You WILL NOT win an argument with an officer out in the field. Only in the courts can you win one of those. That's why it's 'yes, sir' 'no sir' when I'm pulled. If you think you've been wronged, take it up with your lawyer, not the officer.

Edited by Racegal20
Look at it this way:

If I was to tie you to a chair and attach electrodes to you, then shock you everytime you answered a question in a manner that I thought was dishonest, that would be torture.

Whats the difference when you use it to gain compliance?

Damn, ya got some valid points. But I don't think they apply to LEO's. They do what they do for their own safety. If they tell you to get down on the ground and you keep getting up, what do you want them to do? Harsh language won't work. Don't know about you, but I don't want to have the shit beat out of me. Personally, I'd stay on the ground. Sort out the legalities later. But what do you think their best recourse is? Just curious on your opinion. Should they club them? Use their fists? Tasers? Guns?

Had a bad day. Thank you for getting my mind off of it. :rolleyes:

It is.

Excruciating pain, THE WORST LEVEL OF PAIN, for compliance. Thats what torture is for.

Is it fun? I'd have to say no. But not torture, IMHO. I've never have dealt with a taser, but I was an electrical helper for quite a few years. My ex was an electrician. And I'm been 'hooked up'. Couldn't move. My son was walking towards me and all I could do is pray that he didn't touch me. Felt like forever. But there were no long term effects.

But my understanding is the tasers are under 1 amp and about 50,000 volts. It was explained to me way back when that amps are like a large flowing river. It may not be moving fast but there's enough water to drown you. Amps are the amount of power. Volts are like a small stream running really fast. It may hit you hard but most people can handle the force. Volts are how fast they are coming at you.

I again say it's not torture. Again, IMHO.

The problem is that tasers are engineered for maximum immobilization, which LITERALLY equates to maximum pain.

I was an electricians helper for a while in my youth, and got shocked with a ton of stuff. A taser is much different. It is TUNED for pain. Through that pain, you get compliance.

I can't believe people actually agree with cops being able to use these. As if if you just do as you are told, then you have nothing to worry about.

Give me a fucking break.

Now a cop doesn't have to use judgment. Just taze them if they don't listen. DON'T TELL ME THAT NONE HAVE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE VIDEOS OF PEOPLE BEING TAZED FOR REFUSING TO GET OUT OF THEIR CAR.

Know what the cop is supposed to do in that situation? They are supposed to manhandle the suspect out of the car. PERIOD. That is a cop's job...to be a tough law enforcement machine. If you don't listen to the cop and they are in fear of their life, then the cop should shoot the motherfucker. I don't think the population should suffer being tazed because LEO organizations can't defend their own policy in court.

Tazer the fucking lawyers into compliance. At least they get paid to suffer.

I swear to god, if you guys don't see the LEO use of the tazer as a serious assault on your civil rights, your FREEDOM, you are fucking insane. You are cattle. Go where they want you to go.

'

Does a free man have to fear a tazer because he is smarter and more knowledgeable about his rights than a cop? Shit. How many gun owners defend the tazer? Its use is based on the same premise as gun control.

well the un also took the US off the top ten countries to live, were in the teens now, long time gold belt norway was bumped by iceland for first. (we were num. 8 last year). and the ass crack of the world "the middle east" wasn't even included b/c of lack of data?? well duhh!!

what was i thinking, i forgot, the US is going to revoke ALL finacial aid to the un. the un is trying to come up with a universal gun ban, i.e. No guns.....

b/c it is clearly written that any one messing with the our 2nd amen. rights will not be supported by the US, even al gore is on our side!!

Well the dart gun kind are a lot different than the cheapy contact kind, they're a lot worse.

Also, every video I've seen with a taser is ridiculous. First, the person does something wrong, so the cops tase him and he lands on the ground. Then he gets wicked angry and starts screaming and flipping out because he's now fighting as hard as he can to resist feeling that again. So they tase him over and over because they're sick. Don't bother putting cuffs on him like was standard 5 years ago, just put a knee on him and tase him over and over. There's no way anybody is going to get tasered one time and just lie still and go quietly. What could possibly make you want to fight more than feeling the most intense pain possible throughout your entire body? We're all flesh and bone, and will fight to survive. They count on that so they can tase multiple times for their own enjoyment.

this might help show how tazeing can be used as torture http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AfiKl8EOmBM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Y6DLm9SYQ&...feature=related

this is what is going on http://technology.newscientist.com/channel...vestigated.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-BQ-5yxwE and

i dont know about all tasers but alot of them do have 2 settings high and a low,which setting do you think they use for training :unsure:

Edited by Cryptkeeper