8 Rounders ??

Rusmilitary gets them out of Russia and they get a lot of them for years that was who we used. There has to be a way. it is kind of a mute point because there are plenty of US 10 round mags on the market.

Edited by topmaul

I was actually the one over on Warrior Talk who suggested a staggered 8 rd mag. The reason being is that even though I love my 10 rounders, they are long and bulky. I found myself locating my FVG too far forward just to clear quick mag changes.

From a purely tactical standpoint something more compact that would allow one to go prone easily and keep the weight swinging under the gun down. I have my old 5 rounder, I was thinking if I found another cheap I might be able to do some "surgery" on a prototype. I wasn't thinking about going into biz, it's all I can do to keep my current business flying straight.

Edit to add: 5 rounders just posted for sale 2 min. ago,!! but $30 is kinda steep for one I'm gonna cut up. If anyone comes across one cheaper pm me.

Edited by Paladin
I was actually the one over on Warrior Talk who suggested a staggered 8 rd mag. The reason being is that even though I love my 10 rounders, they are long and bulky. I found myself locating my FVG too far forward just to clear quick mag changes.

From a purely tactical standpoint something more compact that would allow one to go prone easily and keep the weight swinging under the gun down. I have my old 5 rounder, I was thinking if I found another cheap I might be able to do some "surgery" on a prototype. I wasn't thinking about going into biz, it's all I can do to keep my current business flying straight.

Edit to add: 5 rounders just posted for sale 2 min. ago,!! but $30 is kinda steep for one I'm gonna cut up. If anyone comes across one cheaper pm me.

Prototyping ain't cheap!

IMO, 8-rounders are the ideal compromise between capacity and handling. The 5-rounders don't hold enough, and the 10-rounders are a little too ungainly. I thought that AGP planned to eventually develop an external floorplate kit that would allow their mags to be cut off at any of the horizontal ribs, to create a magazine of whatever capacity the user desired. That would be a perfect world, but sadly it hasn't happened yet, and I don't know if it ever will... :(

IMO, 8-rounders are the ideal compromise between capacity and handling. The 5-rounders don't hold enough, and the 10-rounders are a little too ungainly. I thought that AGP planned to eventually develop an external floorplate kit that would allow their mags to be cut off at any of the horizontal ribs, to create a magazine of whatever capacity the user desired. That would be a perfect world, but sadly it hasn't happened yet, and I don't know if it ever will... :(

Ummm....don't look now but Tony just made those. :unsure:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=21225

Edited by Cobra 76 two

ok, i see it wasnt mentioned. Under the small arms importation tax stamps, an 8 round shotgun magazine cannot be imported, where a 5 rounder can. an imported shotgun cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammunition, if it is a semi-automatic. this is NOT in the AWB that sunsetted, but in the TAX STAMPS for importers. Seems uncle sam considers plus 5 rounds to be high cap, but not quite so high cap that they forbid ten round USA mags. now, when a Us made 20 round drum that WORKS in an un-adjusted gun comes out....well.....then we get to go into the DD mode here.....Im keeping my fingers crossed, and figure the part is what makes it a DD, not the gun.....but who knows.......

I hope that unclear and indecisive explanation will give you a start on your answer, morgan.

only time will tell.

I will also note for you latecomers here, that this forum's staff directly BLOCKED mention and discussion of drum magazines for several years. We also took action against the AGP mag guys, until it was decided amongst us all here that a US made ten round mag that did not pass ten rounds with a cut, functioning follower (to hold 11 rounds), would cause a DD ruling of this fine shotgun. To date, we have seen thousands upon thousands more of these shotguns enter the USA, which was our direct goal, and no longer feel that our desire to see this gun proliferate here further (this is the best gun in the world, period, this saiga12) outweighs any american's right to free enterprise, in making a more than 10 cap magazine. a fully functioning drum magazine of more than ten rounds, or a stick mag of 11 or more rounds may very well stop importation of this firearm at any time. We have sent our concerns about the ATF rulings and such to the powers that be along the way, and we here honestly feel that it is the PART that causes the DD, not the gun. If it were the gun, the saiga12 would never have been imported in a sporting configuration to begin with, and we feel that the ATF feels the same way. How that will work out in the end, remains to be seen. We can all hope that logic prevails in this case.

Edited by Bvamp

Yup Bvamp it did..thanks, I knew uncle sugar had to have his lil mits in this someplace. Thanks PAL I knew it was somebody I admire greatly who came up with that wonderful idea :rolleyes: BTW I passed it along to an unnamed person who might just get a chance to look at this post and might be impressed with a overwelmingly positive response to the idea (hint, hint) and might be able to do something about it. :ph34r: So keep those cards and letters commin in kids

PS I see were Tony is planning on making that base plate, but with him being backloged until the rapture it might not be a bad idea for another to look at te idea also (nuthin like a lil good ol American compitition I always say). :super:

Actually I had already been thinking of doing that for some time, I just didn't want Kevin to think I was stepping on his toes... Now it would be stepping on Tony's too. :cryss:

Bvamp until there is proof positive of the sky falling, can we please just keep that kind of talk to a minimum? That horse rotted a long time ago.

I hear ya, but there has yet to be a +10 round mag that functions with a stock gun to come to market, so dont exhale just yet, is all I am saying. not up for discussing it, myself. thought I would pass the info along to someone who asked, however, along with the logic of the situation. it really does make sense if you think about it, but it probably wont be left to sense, as one DD ruling that I can think of specifically would have a potential backpeddal to it, and you all know that aint gonna happen.

and that is that. dead horse reburied.

Yup Bvamp it did..thanks, I knew uncle sugar had to have his lil mits in this someplace. Thanks PAL I knew it was somebody I admire greatly who came up with that wonderful idea :rolleyes: BTW I passed it along to an unnamed person who might just get a chance to look at this post and might be impressed with a overwelmingly positive response to the idea (hint, hint) and might be able to do something about it. :ph34r: So keep those cards and letters commin in kids

PS I see were Tony is planning on making that base plate, but with him being backloged until the rapture it might not be a bad idea for another to look at te idea also (nuthin like a lil good ol American compitition I always say). :super:

Yea I was following along with what Gabe was saying about light and handy, but I'm not comfortable with just 5 rounds. IF they can be staggered 8's then the whole package, with the coming magwells, LRBHO, and bolt release, would meet everyone's criteria.

I hope you do get someone to do it, I've got too many "projects" as it is! If I get something put together you can be my beta tester. :eek:

Edited by Paladin

Ok so if we generate enough HOOPLA (old english slang term for ruckus, not a Klingon swear word) :eek: here on this thread and other threads and perhaps on the Suarez forum (those guys would probably prefer the Klingon swearing), and send a few polite e-mails of interest to the fine folks at AGP maybe they might take a look at domestic production. Couldn't hurt. :rolleyes:

What's so hard about just cutting a regular AGP mag off and installing a new floorplate? If you think AGP is going to go thru all that crap again just to make a mag that holds two less shells, you are dreaming.

If you can't aquire the floorplates you need then just let me know and I will make you some, or better yet just send me your mags and I will convert them.

What's so hard about just cutting a regular AGP mag off and installing a new floorplate? If you think AGP is going to go thru all that crap again just to make a mag that holds two less shells, you are dreaming.

Ya can't please everybody, I mean if you don't like the 10 rders, won't pay for the 8s and think 5 isn't enough...well welcome to America try your luck at making a product that works

Just for S&G's:

The AGP mag is 1.2" wide and 11" long. If you cut off a AGP mag to 8 rds. it still looks to be 8" plus long.

I got some duct tape out of my "Homeland Security" stash, and staggered 8 rds together. Allowing for the same width and depth of the AGP mag, looks like 2" wide and 5" long. A very tidy package.

I thought splicing two five mags together might work, but I'd have to add material anyway so..

I have a small sheetmetal break, I may lop off the top of my 5 rounder and make a body/follower. I've got nothing to lose but some time and a 5 rounder that I don't use anymore.

Would there be that much of a demand for 8 rd mags, especially with the availability of the 10 rd mags?

I prefer the 8 rd over the 10. I bought 4 10 rd mags and sold two of them. If I could get two more 8 rd mags I would sell the last two 10 rd mags I have.

Not to discourage new mag makers, but I've been here for years and seen many people claim they were going to make a new mag. Most have disappeared shortly after and no mags appeared. It's just not as easy as most people think.

Mike Davidson is making a new S-12 mag for his magwell (and some for no magwell too I believe) and I'm gonna do all I can to help him incorporate an easy way to vary the capacity, since there is an obvious desire for multiple sizes

(If he is into that of course).

Yeh, I think it does, you ass kisser! LOL

You can legally import 8 rounders for PERSONAL USE without a tax stamp (which wont be granted for business use in the case of 8 round saiga12 mags) and you have to pay an import tax past 100 dollars wholesale value, but almost noone did that. they brought a few at a time over, and resold them on ebay. This is what drove the price through the roof, really. If the costs mimic price, then the factory 8s, would be about twice what the factory 5's are. Just trying to clarify that for you gmorgan, in case people start coming at you with questions.

This was directly why AGP came out with US mags, and didnt stop at 8 rounds.

Edited by Bvamp

I already have more 8rd mags than I know what to do with. 17 of them... + a WM 20rd drum.

Im waiting for reviews on mikes drum before I order a few of those. These are the last mags im buying for my saiga 12's If there are good reviews.

Edited by mike123456