everything was functional.

This weekend I paced-off about 45-50 yards, put up a 25 yard pistol target

(the larger orange dot is easier to see at that range) and zeroed-in my

old school Armson O.E.G. dot sight. You have to use both eyes with this

sight. If you stop and really try to draw a bead on the target you tend to

loose either the dot or the target as one eye starts to focus harder. It's

designed for getting lead on the target quickly, so you have to shoot as

soon as the dot crosses your target.

Heres the final 5-shot group using Lyman heavy sabot slugs.

I think I can live with that for home defense & deer hunting.

Group001.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 yards for home defense, you must live in a big house :D

How'd the sabots go and what choke do you have on the barrel? I haven't cycled any of those yet, they looked a bit spendier than your "generic" ammo

The choke I use with slugs is a cylinder choke, and I keep one mag of them as back-up at home. The mag in the gun at home is generaly a field load toped off with 1oz. of #4 birdshot and it still seems to be patterning pretty good around the point of aim. The only time I put the full choke on is for hunting birds & rabbits or shooting skeet.

The slugs are called sabots but I dont know why because they don't use a plastic sabot. Perhaps it's because they can be placed in a shot cup which does help greatly to reduce the lead fouling you tend to get from shooting slugs. They are full size lead sulgs shaped like a giant pellet for an air rifle. For now I buy mine pre-cast 100 at a time and then load them myself with a standard crimp instead of a roll crimp. It costs a little less than buying the pre loaded stuff.

No two shotguns will shoot the same slug the same way as we all know by now. I've simply found that this type of slug along with the load data that I'm using is a very accurate combo in my shotty.

I know what your talking about. I started out shooting Winchester rifled slugs and like you I thought I had big scratches in my barrel until some of it flaked off durring cleaning. My local gunsmith gave me an extra stiff bronze brush to help get it out after I told him what a pain it was to get out and that helped a bunch.

Thats when I went on the hunt for a cleaner and more accurate alternative. The shotcup thing really cought my attention and that thin layer of plastic between the slug & barrel has been a life saver.

LOL what the hell..........what pics? i must be stupid or something, cause *I* dont see em.... White golfer guy, are you saying that you dont have any shotguns? I seriously hope so, cause I just dont get it otherwise........

Edited by Bvamp

I haven't refinished it yet, so the layout lines are still visible.

front-latch.jpeg

I used a Bulgarian side-folder set from K-Var. The front latch didn't really fit in the gap between the trunion and receiver, so I had to thin it slightly. There was no way the regular spring would fit in there either, so I welded on an extension to the latch and drilled a blind hole in it to hold a spring. The other end of the spring went into another blind hold I put in the tab on the handguard that goes into the trunion-receiver gap.

It's kind of a hack-job, but it works suprisingly well. I'd really like to see the innards of a real 12C. Here's a drawing of the modified latch:

latch-mod.gif

TapperMan,

That is exactly what I want to build. Did you use rivets or screws on the rear folder block? Can you post close ups of the rear of the weapon for us? I am waiting for my K-Var folder to arrive. Need ideas on how to attach it. I have used screws for AK builds in the past but that wouldn't match the front rivets.

Thanks for the sweet pictures. Does it kick harder with the reduced weight or can you tell?

Did you use rivets or screws on the rear folder block? 

I used rivets. I'll post more pics soon.

Does it kick harder with the reduced weight or can you tell?

I can't tell a difference in recoil. I have the rubber buttpad on it when shooting. As far as the weight goes, it probably weighs slightly more after the conversion after adding the pistol grip and steel buttstock.

Heres mine.Conversion done by Firefly arms.Bayonets still being worked on as i need to find a lug to weld onto the bottom of the barrel for the M16 bayo.

Ace stock

Tapco saw pistol grip

Kobra red dot scope

Laser

Barrel cut to 181/2"

Buffer Tech mag cinches

post-2-1100487471.jpg

Edited by Pointer

Sweeeeet....

Is the flash hider thingie alloy or steel? 

What is the overall length of it?

Are there more available?

Its made out of 4140 pre-heat treat very similar to what they use to make barrels, bolt carriers etc. out of. Overal length is is about 2.125". Im making another one tonight but it will be better than this one. If it sparks interest I'll make some more.