SureFire mag problems

I got Surefires & FMBG's and while their a tight fit I did have to do some work to the inside of the Surefire mags. The follower didn't want to push all the way to the top with so much as a single round in the magazine. If I took out the round and had a completely empty it would go with no problems. Well, a sheet of sandpaper & about 1 hour later all mag's function without fail.

Put some elbow grease on it and I'm sure you can get her to work.

• 4 weeks later...

The magazines are the problem, in my case, not the gun. I was assured by RAA that I had a 1 in 1000 gun that had an anomaly, causing the loaded surefire 25-rd mags to prevent the bolt from moving backwards and denting the top round if they did.

I sent the rifle in to be worked on and it came back in good time. RAA was really good about handling the shipping, etc. Unfortunately, I have the same problem still. RAA assures me that they used a 25-rd Surefire mag in testing, but it's an older magazine that was probably from a different production line than the new ones I've been buying (I've gone through 4 mags now that ALL do the same thing).

I'm trying to get a hold of Surefire right now. I'll keep you all updated once I speak to them.

I got Surefires & FMBG's and while their a tight fit I did have to do some work to the inside of the Surefire mags. The follower didn't want to push all the way to the top with so much as a single round in the magazine. If I took out the round and had a completely empty it would go with no problems. Well, a sheet of sandpaper & about 1 hour later all mag's function without fail.

Put some elbow grease on it and I'm sure you can get her to work.

I just hate spending 50 bucks for something I have to immediately fiddle with. But I guess beggars cant be choosers....

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from the guys at Surefire earlier this week. They assured me that there was one batch (200 mags) that were produced with followers that were not quite to spec. They are very sorry and are sending me followers ASAP.

I'll report back when I get them.

I heard from the guys at Surefire earlier this week. They assured me that there was one batch (200 mags) that were produced with followers that were not quite to spec. They are very sorry and are sending me followers ASAP.

I have 2 Surefire 25ers and have not had one failure of any sort. All in all I've shot about 500 rounds of Barnaul through my self converted Saiga .308.

I have 2 Surefire 25ers and have not had one failure of any sort. All in all I've shot about 500 rounds of Barnaul through my self converted Saiga .308.

When did you purchase your Surefire Mags?

Again, I was told that a lot of 200 mags were produced with this error and it was done fairly recently. I have not claimed, nor would I, that Surefire doesn't regularly produce a superior product. In fact, I know dozens of people who have used Surefire Mags, including these 308 mags, with no issues after several thousands of rounds running through them.

Again, When I get the replacement followers, I will report back here. I feel certain that that will fix the issue.

Thank you all.

Can I have your out-of-spec ones?

The magazines are the problem, in my case, not the gun. I was assured by RAA that I had a 1 in 1000 gun that had an anomaly, causing the loaded surefire 25-rd mags to prevent the bolt from moving backwards and denting the top round if they did.

I sent the rifle in to be worked on and it came back in good time. RAA was really good about handling the shipping, etc. Unfortunately, I have the same problem still. RAA assures me that they used a 25-rd Surefire mag in testing, but it's an older magazine that was probably from a different production line than the new ones I've been buying (I've gone through 4 mags now that ALL do the same thing).

I'm trying to get a hold of Surefire right now. I'll keep you all updated once I speak to them.

The Surefire 25 round mag I got would not function in the gun with a FULL loaded magazine. With a loaded mag placed in the gun (tight!) the bolt could not be retracked fully (jammed after short movement).

I determined the problem was that the FOLLOWER WAS TOO LONG (to feed a full 25 rounds)...

A magazine in these guns needs to be able to have the TOP round be able to be depressed by the bolt, as the mag is locked in place, by about 1/2 the diameter of the round. The 25th round did not have adequate movement to do this.

Removing 1/8-1/4" off the bottom of the follower solves the problem easily. Of course, you could just short load the mag.

I suspect the guy who determined the perimeters for the magazine...did not know or talk to the guy who designed the BHO follower. Otherwise, they might have thought of this.

It's not much of a issue once you understand it. Fortunately, everything else is pretty much okay with these mags...the only other real possible issue seems to be sure the follower is not restricted in it's final upward movement by a pinched mag or excess molding "flash".

All this is pretty much aftermarket magacology.

LG

Edited by lollygagger

The Surefire 25 round mag I got would not function in the gun with a FULL loaded magazine. With a loaded mag placed in the gun (tight!) the bolt could not be retracked fully (jammed after short movement).

I determined the problem was that the FOLLOWER WAS TOO LONG (to feed a full 25 rounds)...

A magazine in these guns needs to be able to have the TOP round be able to be depressed by the bolt, as the mag is locked in place, by about 1/2 the diameter of the round. The 25th round did not have adequate movement to do this.

Removing 1/8-1/4" off the bottom of the follower solves the problem easily. Of course, you could just short load the mag.

I suspect the guy who determined the perimeters for the magazine...did not know or talk to the guy who designed the BHO follower. Otherwise, they might have thought of this.

It's not much of a issue once you understand it. Fortunately, everything else is pretty much okay with these mags...the only other real possible issue seems to be sure the follower is not restricted in it's final upward movement by a pinched mag or excess molding "flash".

All this is pretty much aftermarket magacology.

LG

Point well taken. You must have a different problem than I do. My mags do this when 20+ rounds are loaded. They do not dent the round as much w/ 20 as they do w/ 25. I suspect and have been assured by Surefire that the problem is as you say, followers are too long.

Again, I will report back once I get those new followers.

Stay safe everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Surefire just came out with new followers,apparently there was a problem with one batch of them where they had troubles getting over 20 rounds into the 25 rounders.

I had contacted them a while back too when I found one of mine that did the same as some of yours and they did acknowlege the problem and are sending replacement followers to whoever requsts them for the 25 round mags.

Thing to do is contact them by email and they will take care of you.

Got mine today.

I was considering getting a few of the 25's, but with this info I think I'll pass. I stubled into a deal for 5 more FBMG 20's for $200 and they came with a pouch. All I need is one more and I'll have an even 10. :D

• 3 weeks later...

well, craptastic, I must have one of the bad ones

I was out pig hunting and the pig turned right as I shot, causing me to nick the pig, he got pissed and charged my ass...

I go to shoot again, and click click click.. OMG WTF BBQ, massive adrenaline dump x 3

rack rack rack, WTF rack slap BANG!!

repeat.

dead pig...

almost cost me my ass.

I'm pissed at surefire.. but even more at myself for 1. trusting surefire.. adn 2. for not testing my equipment BEFORE putting my self in a dangerous situation... :unsure:

Upon examining my mag, there are several indentions (left and right) on the feed ramp, in fact, on both sides you can see where I slapped the charging handle so hard that it broke off a little chip of plastic (forming a mini feed ramp on the feed ramp), proof of massive adrenaline dump, and it looks like the bullet noses drop as you load rounds in... anything past 10 and the bullets start to hit the ramp (not enough to jam though), have a 25 rounder... they WILL NOT FEED AT ALL at 20-25 rounds... and jam often at lower round counts..

Edited by santanatwo

as you load rounds into the mag, the top bullet tip gets farther and father down from start possition. I measured it from the feed ramp. after about 10 rounds the bullet tip is at or BELLOW the feed ramp :ded: , unlike the factory mags, which go to max capacity without changing the bullet elevation. at higher loadings (like anything above 15) the bullet tips are well bellow the lip of the feed ramp. :cryss:

seems more like a failure in design to me.

the mag body is to wide in the middle, allowing the rounds to stack lower as more rounds are loaded.

surefire = fail

Edited by santanatwo

Shoot them an email,that was why they came out with a redesign on the followers.

What they told me was that they tried to get them to fit better but it got it all too tight.The new followers work excellent,I've replced mine already and run them through without any problems.

Shoot them an email,that was why they came out with a redesign on the followers.

What they told me was that they tried to get them to fit better but it got it all too tight.The new followers work excellent,I've replced mine already and run them through without any problems.

alrighty then, I'll do that.

Actually, the mag is kind of beat up, after getting wacked by the bullet tips, (in my panic), I am hoping I can send the whole mag in for replacement.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. Do you have their email address?

Thanks for the info. Do you have their email address?

I'll have to see if I have one of the cards around that came with my mags.Their email is on those cards.Have to look tonight unless someone comes up with it before.

Good reply my rear. :unsure: Have 5/25rders, all nose dive the rds. 2 diferrent weapons. E-mailed 5 times over a 30 day period 4 months ago. No replies. :chris: Some weekend will take time to cut down to 20's. Tried other ideas posted. Spent over $200 for (pleeped). Have 12 Funny Bunnies 20rders. 3 factory. :super: Function flawless.

Got my new followers and the problem has improved but is not gone and the bolt still won't go back easily.

Surefire is working with me on this. I will report back when I get new followers, newer mag, et.

To repeat from earlier, Surefire believes the problem only exists in 200 Mags that are out there right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed them this, I hope they respond soon.

Hello Sir,

I have one of the 25 round 308 mags with the "bad follower". It will not feed at all when it is loaded past 15 rounds.

The bigger problem is that I was getting charged by a wild pig when the gun jammed, and the magazine got damaged in the panic. (I had not tested the mag in live fire before I went hunting with it, I had only cycled it by hand.) I had trust in your product, as many people had said it was good to go. That was a mistake, I admit. NEver go into a dangerous situation with an untested weapon.

In live fire the bullets nosed down, jamming the gun.

I had to slap the bolt with my hand, and almost got killed by the pig... but I finaly forced a round home (just in time), and it all worked out.. but the magazine's feed ramp is damaged and I would like to send the magazine in for replacement, as is listed on the warrenty card that came with the mag (I bought it brand new).

Could you please provide an address that I can ship it to, so that you may examine the magazine and determin what the cause is, and also send me a new magazine.

Thank you,

(snip)

P.S. I must admit my confidence in your product has been severely shaken, but I am willing to let you try to make good on this bad situation. Many people (especialy on www.saiga-12.com) have stated that you made a good product, and I am willing to give you a second chance.

• 3 weeks later...