Hey guys, picked up my .308 saiga about a month or so ago. Looking for my optics options, im pretty much convinced the 8x42 posp sidemount scope is what im looking for. I picked up a dust cover weaver mount but ive hard bad things about it moving too much to be acceptable as a scope mount, the one i have has these set screws in it, feels very tight, i cant feel any play. But if its not going to hold a zero i dont even want to f' around with it ya know. Im about to order a posp scope but ive read there calibrated for 7.62x39 or 7.62x54. Would it be ok for our .308's? i know alot of users are using them. I just want to make sure that its going to be accurate. Looking for 100-350yard performance no farther. I dig the tacticalness of it, IE range finder, and the 1000+m marks.

i havent had good luck with the bp-o2 mount similar to posp beacouse of the rail seems to flex side to side in the rivets arent tight or the recever is to thin i am going to the beryl style mount

no real BENEFITS... all just preference really... and the aiming reticle will take a little getting used to... the chevrons are not what you would expect out of a normal scope...

But they do have cool factor and they are good optics... there is nothing WRONG with them...

:smoke:

they are unique...so i like that...it adds to the uniqueness of a saiga.

they are high enough to use the iron sights but fit the saiga really well

durable. hold zero for me even if i remove to clean quite often.

pretty economical given the quality; i don't have much exp. here but i think they are good products.

the chevrons are cool...again unique - not the typical ones you get at Academy or Dicks.

I like how they can light up red...never had to use it but i think they are neat. I must have been checking the door knob of my neighbors at dawn a ton until my wife told me to stop.

I think they are just neat... =)

IMO the zoom posp's get a bit heavy as compared to other options. The 6x fixed ones seem about the best compromise between magnification and weight.

The real big advantage of the POSP is that it includes the mount and is typically more reasonably priced than separately sourcing out a mount, rings, and scope as separate purchases.

I have a Kalinka 8x with the mil dots. It's pretty decent glass for the money, but it makes the whole rifle a bit top heavy. Since it's off center the whole rifle wants to fall off the sandbags and I'm not so sure that the scope could handle a blow to concrete from table height (especially when attached to a rifle). I'd go down to a 6x next time around. You might want to get opinions about the best source for the POSP's since some people (myself included) have had odd dealings with Kalinka.

IMO the zoom posp's get a bit heavy as compared to other options. The 6x fixed ones seem about the best compromise between magnification and weight.

The real big advantage of the POSP is that it includes the mount and is typically more reasonably priced than separately sourcing out a mount, rings, and scope as separate purchases.

I have a Kalinka 8x with the mil dots. It's pretty decent glass for the money, but it makes the whole rifle a bit top heavy. Since it's off center the whole rifle wants to fall off the sandbags and I'm not so sure that the scope could handle a blow to concrete from table height (especially when attached to a rifle). I'd go down to a 6x next time around. You might want to get opinions about the best source for the POSP's since some people (myself included) have had odd dealings with Kalinka.

haha thats the truth the 8x is heavy... it does seem to unbalance the whole rifle.

Well. I could not mount the 8X POSP on the Saiga, but it will mount a 4X LPS TIP2 from a Romak 3 PSL. Since I have a Romak 3 PSL rifle and it will take the 8X POSP, all I did was switch the scopes. Both have the standard Dragunov ranging reticle so once I get them zeroed it should be easy for me to switch between rifles. The Romak 3 PSL should have a longer effective range then my 16" Saiga 308 anyway.

Hey guys, picked up my .308 saiga about a month or so ago. Looking for my optics options, im pretty much convinced the 8x42 posp sidemount scope is what im looking for. I picked up a dust cover weaver mount but ive hard bad things about it moving too much to be acceptable as a scope mount, the one i have has these set screws in it, feels very tight, i cant feel any play. But if its not going to hold a zero i dont even want to f' around with it ya know. Im about to order a posp scope but ive read there calibrated for 7.62x39 or 7.62x54. Would it be ok for our .308's? i know alot of users are using them. I just want to make sure that its going to be accurate. Looking for 100-350yard performance no farther. I dig the tacticalness of it, IE range finder, and the 1000+m marks.

I have POSP 8x42 VD on my Saiga 30-06.Excellent scope easy to use very reliable.Little on the heavy side , but the coolest looking . First time at the range 250 yards.

post-7628-1210307025_thumb.jpg

post-7628-1210307040_thumb.jpg

post-7628-1210307102_thumb.jpg

I think I've been sold on the 8x posp. I was wanting something with variable magnification, but apparently the 8X is very adequate for longer distances. How many rounds total did you shoot at that target?

Good choice if it fits. Fixed mag scopes are a better way to go unless you like to dick around a lot with parallax changes and other effects. Most of serious sniper work down in the past 100 years was done with fixed mag scopes anyway, so it should not be any detriment to the casual shooter at the range. I am happy with my 8X POSP although it wont fit on my Saiga 308. As I posted earlier the POSP is going on my Romak 3 and the LPS from the Romak 3 is going on the Saiga. The problem is that the objective bell is too large to clear the rear sight for the scope to mount on the Saiga. My scopes have SVD type mounts on them, yours may have the AK mount. The SVD mount is from the front while the AK mount is from the rear, they both fit the same rail though.

Edited by Saigaczech

So your .308 has the rail that slides the mount on from the front, and that's why the POSP won't fit on it? I ask because I'm wanting to purchase this scope for my saiga .308, and mine has the rail which the mount slides on from the back.

I think I've been sold on the 8x posp. I was wanting something with variable magnification, but apparently the 8X is very adequate for longer distances. How many rounds total did you shoot at that target?

4 groups 8 shots in each.

So your .308 has the rail that slides the mount on from the front, and that's why the POSP won't fit on it? I ask because I'm wanting to purchase this scope for my saiga .308, and mine has the rail which the mount slides on from the back.

Correct, but only the 8X POSP, the 4X POSL (or in my case LPS) mounts just fine. I just wanted to make sure you knew about this issue when making your decision. Actually all Saigas, have the same rail on them, it is the mount system on the scope that matters. The scope mounts all fit the same rail, just from different directions I find. I think the SVD mount is a bit lower too and gives a closer bore to scope alignment distance, less mechanical offset. Hope this helps.

I'm getting a bit confused now. What's the difference between the POSP and the POSL? If they all have the same mount, why wouldn't the POSP 8X fit on yours?

It depends on objective size. All the 8X scopes have a larger objective. The 4X scopes have a 24mm objective and the 8X scopes have a 42 mm objective. The objective size divided by the magnification determines the size of the exit pupil and how clearly you can see. At larger magnifications you want a larger objective. Larger objectives require larger bell sizes and this is what interferes with mounting the scope in my case. As far as the letters go, my scopes are a 4X LPS (Romanian designation, same as POSP) and a 8x POSP (Russian designation). The POSL designation before was a typo, hit L instead of P. My bad, sorry. Detail of this get a bit technical and hard to explain. The SVD mount system is better suited to the designated marksman/precision rifleman role then the AK mount system. Either mount will work with the rail on the side of the Saiga receiver, but the 42mm scope with the SVD mount will not fit on my Saiga as the objective bell hits the rear sight when mounting it. The SVD mount slides on to the rail from front of the weapon to the back, the AK mount slides on from the back toward the front. Again, there are also height differences in the mounts too. Just my personal experience with my Saiga. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, if you are interested in telescopic weapon optics, the book, "The Ultimate Sniper" by Maj. Plaster, has an excellent section on scope selection criteria and specifications. Hope this helps.

Edited by Saigaczech

Elvis Christ...

If you have a STANDARD SPORTING stock on your Saiga...

It will probably be TOO LONG to get close enough to the POSP for decent use (for most human beings).

You would need a "conversion" to the shorter AK stock, one of the new "Dragunov" stocks, or, to shorten you sporting stock.

It is a good scope...but requires what I've indicated. Here's a POSP (6X) mounted on my .308 "sporter":

saigasurefire-1.jpg

The cheek rest would also be a good idea to add.

Edited by lollygagger

Cool, thanks. I see, it's not a matter of the mount actually fitting on the rail, rather a matter of the larger tube clearing various obstructions. One of the reasons I started looking at these systems was because I couldn't see the iron sight with my tapco mount. I'd like to still be able to use the iron sights with the optics.

I have the skeleton stock with the cheek rest on my 21" .308, I picked it up at the gun show for $50 a couple of months ago. As far as I know it is well suited for use with optics. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cool, thanks. I see, it's not a matter of the mount actually fitting on the rail, rather a matter of the larger tube clearing various obstructions. One of the reasons I started looking at these systems was because I couldn't see the iron sight with my tapco mount. I'd like to still be able to use the iron sights with the optics.

I have the skeleton stock with the cheek rest on my 21" .308, I picked it up at the gun show for $50 a couple of months ago. As far as I know it is well suited for use with optics. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your stock should do fine with use of a POSP.

Edited by lollygagger
Just to clarify (because, while I'm a fairly intelligent person, I sometimes have difficulty processing simple concepts :ded: ), a PSOP 8X will clear the rear site? Or should I opt for something a bit smaller?

Sure.

ANY POSP scope will clear the rear sight...not a issue.

Just to clarify (because, while I'm a fairly intelligent person, I sometimes have difficulty processing simple concepts :ded: ), a PSOP 8X will clear the rear site? Or should I opt for something a bit smaller?

Sure.

ANY POSP scope will clear the rear sight...not a issue.

Lollygagger, this is incorrect. I have empirical evidence the 42mm 8X POSP scope will not fit if it has a SVD type mount. My won't fit, it can not clear the rear sight (not just the sight but the rear sight mounting too). It is impossible for me to mount this scope on my Saiga 308 unless I machine off a part of the rifle. If elvis chirst has an AK type mount it will probably fit, but not with the SVD type mount. I will try to take some of the problem if I get the chance to post to prove my point.

Lollygagger, this is incorrect. I have empirical evidence the 42mm 8X POSP scope will not fit if it has a SVD type mount. My won't fit, it can not clear the rear sight (not just the sight but the rear sight mounting too). It is impossible for me to mount this scope on my Saiga 308 unless I machine off a part of the rifle. If elvis chirst has an AK type mount it will probably fit, but not with the SVD type mount. I will try to take some of the problem if I get the chance to post to prove my point.

And...I thought all Saiga AK firearms used a "universal" AK mounting rail...some have SVD mounting rails??? Yes, I know that the POSP can be had in a SVD mount -but that is not right for a Saiga, huh?

I just checked: My 6X POSP (with the AK mount) has a 42mm front objective that clears the "combat" setting (elevator fully to the rear) on the rear iron sight by well over 1/4" (enough).

Is the meassage here to not use a SVD mount on a AK rail?

:unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

And...I thought all Saiga AK firearms used a "universal" AK mounting rail...some have SVD mounting rails??? Yes, I know that the POSP can be had in a SVD mount -but that is not right for a Saiga, huh?

I just checked: My 6X POSP (with the AK mount) has a 42mm front objective that clears the "combat" setting (elevator fully to the rear) on the rear iron sight by well over 1/4" (enough).

Is the meassage here to not use a SVD mount on a AK rail?

:unsure:

Yeah, I am trying to warn him to buy the proper mount on the scope, namely the AK mount. I have a SVD scope mounts on my two scopes as I also have a Romanian PSL rifle (the 4X came with the rifle). I just wanted to make sure he got the right system. Also, I was not sure that it would fit even with a AK mount as I do not have one.. The SVD mount will fit a on a Saiga rail (the rails are pretty standard) but the scope wont clear the rear sight then. Sorry if I was confusing. I clearly stated several time that my problem came from the SVD mount and that he should get the AK one. I may have been hedging my bets by stating I was not 100% sure it would work with the 8X objective bell. Hopefully we cleared all this up now.