No matter how much you stock up on Gun oil, Hopps 9, cleaning pads etc. At some point the supply is going to run out.

My question is what are some alternatives, I realize our Saigas are made for the abuse and can take it. But what if you own a AR that depends on keeping it as clean as possible??

Gasoline?? Engine Oil??? God forbid you have to use water?? What are some lil known survival techniques for keeping your sensitive AR clean???

Thanx!!!

Edited by Bean.223

im not sure about the ar but i have heard a light mix of gas and diesel will do the trick on the ak. use brake clean on the ar same thing as spray gun cleaners, for oil i would be tempted to try hi temp silicone spray but i dont know if this would work or not may just gunk it up even more in the long run.

I read a story about US soldiers in Iraq placing bets on how long it would take the Iraqi soldiers they were training to set themselves on fire while cleaning their AK's with diesel fuel, while smoking cigarettes.

So I guess diesel works alright.

I read a story about US soldiers in Iraq placing bets on how long it would take the Iraqi soldiers they were training to set themselves on fire while cleaning their AK's with diesel fuel, while smoking cigarettes.

It takes a whole lot more than a cigarette to light up diesel.

My first repsonse was to be a smart ass and say that's why I don't own an AR.

I felt the same way about AR's, Will......... Still today wouldn't own a Colt, Bushy, et al......... Swore I'd never own another AR !! Technically, I still don't own an AR. I do, however own a TR-15, which is a TROMIX AR........

I personally am progressing toward 1,000 rounds through it without even cleaning it..........runs like a clock !!! Bob Ash owns one that he's working toward 4,000 rounds with......never cleaned.

I'm not pushing not having to clean your weapon........... just saying a properly manufactured AR is not the sensitive drama-queen that the overwhelming majority of AR's are.................

My first repsonse was to be a smart ass and say that's why I don't own an AR.

I felt the same way about AR's, Will......... Still today wouldn't own a Colt, Bushy, et al......... Swore I'd never own another AR !! Technically, I still don't own an AR. I do, however own a TR-15, which is a TROMIX AR........

I personally am progressing toward 1,000 rounds through it without even cleaning it..........runs like a clock !!! Bob Ash owns one that he's working toward 4,000 rounds with......never cleaned.

I'm not pushing not having to clean your weapon........... just saying a properly manufactured AR is not the sensitive drama-queen that the overwhelming majority of AR's are.................

Back in USSR, my grandfather used a usual machine oil to clean his 12 gauge side by side. I used the same to clean my single barrel 16 gauger

I'm glad you explained that!

I was starting to wonder of you were bragging on how lazy you and Bob were!

:rolleyes:

It takes a whole lot more than a cigarette to light up diesel.

Yeah man, don't you watch Mythbusters? :D

Lube with synthetic motor oil, can clean with the same, or Mix 1 part windex to 2 parts ATF. Brake cleaner will work, as will dishwasher soap in verry hot water.

tranny fluid,high dollar race engines have the bores wipped down with it,while changing yours put some clean fluid on your hands and rub them together and see what happens/cleans and lubes at the same time