My Custom Saiganov Inspired DMR

The romanian AK "thumbhols" were a common "take off" that you'd see around the shows (cheap!).

They were sort of lame ergonomically on the Rom AK's...but, they were fun to play with and could "trick out" nicely.

Here is one I played with:

Romaadinovstock-R.jpg

Another one, with just the PG recontoured;

RomTHstock-a.jpg

Here's a unmodified one on the left -you can tell the grip profile is wrong:

RomTHstocks-2.jpg

I was always amazed that the METAL butt plates on these is SPRING LOADED for recoil! BTW, these are pretty much what came on the PSL weapons as well. The last versions evidently had improved grip profiles.

Edited by lollygagger

That's really nice! Some cool original mods too! +1 on the Dinzag Arms parts. They helped me out bigtime on mine. :super:

Nice custom work on the stocks too lollygagger! I just bought an extra one for my PSL so I could rework the grip on it. I'll post pics when done. Good to see ya back around brother!

Well I got to the range today.

My best 100 yard group was 2.5 MOA with Yugoslavian surplus, but the average was a little over 3 MOA.

Wolf Military Classic 150 gr. averaged a bit above 4 MOA

The other 2 surplus loads weren't worth mentioning.

I found somewhere on-line that has Lithuanian ammo in boxes of 20 to try. (previously only been able to find packs of 200) so I ordered a box and will try that when it comes in.

I also want to try without the bipod on the barrel and see if that helps my groups at all.

Edited by DTakas

What does the Yugo surplus look like? I've got some corrosive .308/7.62 that my S308 loves. It comes in light blue cardboard boxes that simply say ".308 Winchester" on them. I was given my first batch as part of a trade and later picked up some more at a gun show. I've never really figured out what it is though.

BTW, your groups sound about the same as my own. With that oddball surplus and certain handloads I've gotten the groups down to just under 2 MOA. But 4-5 MOA isn't unusual with South African and Federal GMM shoots pretty consistently at around 3 MOA.

Just curious, what are the small bits that I circled? I can't tell. Looks real nice though!

post-7071-1210819203_thumb.jpg

Acer

Those are my quick release sling swivels of my own design. I had the idea a while ago and decided to try them out on this build. A lot of slings use buckles to detach the sling from a tail that hangs off the gun. This kind of eliminates the tail and directly mounts half the buckle to the gun. The setup is pretty new so I can't say for sure if there will be any drawbacks or if it will be durable enough but so far it's been great.

206h36e.jpg

21jtwg5.jpg

As for the eye relief it's pretty long (3.5 or 4 inches I can't remember). I got this mount partially because of how far forward it extends and even with the scope as far forward as it would go I still had to scrunch my head back just a tad so I put the rubber buttpad on to extend the length of pull a little more and now it's just right. I think with a longer stock it wouldn't be hard to set up a DMS-1 on an AK platform but the dragunov stocks are extremely short which is where most of the problem came from.

Edited by DTakas

can you move the rail on that side mount back? was wondering about those screws. I know it's too far back for you, but i have a scope that i need to pull back toward me so i don;t have to strain my neck to look down it

it might, i got a really cool scope, but my eye needs to be like 2" from it. The side mount i have right now is just the generic one (UTG i think), if that one has a longer rail it may just work. Where did you get it?

Well, I wasn't happy with my groups so I took the bipod off and shot off of a rest under the receiver. My groups improved so I fabricated a mount for the bipod to bolt to the receiver and shortened the legs of the bipod so it wouldn't lift the rifle up too high. All I had on hand was some wolf which last time I measured groups it averaged a little under 4.25" at 100 yards with the new bipod setup my groups averaged 2.375" at 100 yards and one of the groups was a hair under 2" I'm going to re-test some better brands/loads of ammo and I'm pretty confidant that I will be able to get satisfactory groups on a consistent basis now.

Wouldn't be proper not to post pics of the changes

34j21rp.jpg

2ns2jyb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...