Here's a message I just got in my forum mailbox. I think it seems like an odd request. Anyone else get anything like this?

Hi,

I've seen the post about your Saiga 12, and i wonder if you've the time and opportunity to take some pictures of this shotgun for me, please?

In fact, it's to create a full 3D replica call "render" that you see in video games as Call of Duty 4 by instance:

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hk416be8.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/491/usasmdlwip3aa5.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m16a2cr4.jpg

Mostly of the 2d/3d artists who create these renders need good references pics of real firearms under various angles of views.

So, the goal of my site is to share freely the best pics to help them in their work: http://www.pixagogo.com/DeicideNBF

That's why i need pictures in high resolution (~2000x1500) from a strict "orthographic" point of view (as a blueprint) and not blurred, if possible.

I would like these views, plz:

Full sides : Right, left

Close-ups:

-Buttstock: Right, left, top, bottom, rear (buttplate)

-Grip and trigger: Right, rear, bottom

-Receiver: Right, left, top, bottom, rear (top cover opening button)

-Ejection port (open/close) : Right

-Chamber visible as showed here: http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=b...3chamberni7.jpg

+ Another one, same pov with mag loaded (+1 rd)

-Magwell: Bottom

-Forearm and forward grip: Right, top, bottom

-Sights: Rear, right, top, front

-Barrel: Right, front (muzzle)

-Mag: Right, rear, bottom, top (follower full/empty)

You can send me all the pictures directly here: deamon3@hotmail.com

Or upload from this site if you prefer: www.yousendit.com

Of course, all the pics will be stored on my site with the SN hidden.

Thanks in advance for your help, from me and all the 2D/3D community artists: http://www.game-artist.net/forums/

Best regards,

Christophe

It seems like a lot of specific stuff to ask for, and kinda time consuming. But if you do decide to do it, don't leave it up to him to hide the SN's like he says. Blur them out yourself.

Other than that, if you have spare time, and like to take pictures, I don't see the harm.

a friend of mine used to design "worlds" for those shoot em up games... there are a LOT OF PEOPLE that take a lot of time to digitize things so that the game can be as real as possible... I think its on the up and up....

:smoke:

actually, instead of blurring your SN's, just take some electrical tape and cover it, they have some pretty strong imaging programs....i'd physically cover that stuff.....but yea, time consuming project, most people get paid $$ to do this kinda stuff for a legit company...

Somehow I just don't feel this is being done for the fun of it, so I don't think I will take the time to provide high resolution photographs for free so someone else can make money.

Somehow I just don't feel this is being done for the fun of it, so I don't think I will take the time to provide high resolution photographs for free so someone else can make money.

:rolleyes:

What do YOU know about the modelling community? They don't make any money off it. How could they?

Nobody buys renders. They either do it because it's their hobby or for a game modification. No money involved.

Edited by Agias

I don't know a damn thing about it, but I am willing to bet there is money involved in it..

Edited by Banshee

There was a similar post on Uzi talk a few months ago for Galil pics. The guy did it and posted his work. Actually turned out pretty nice. I think he said it was for a school project. If I can find the post, I'll add the link.

Edited by 6500rpm
I don't know a damn thing about it, but I am willing to bet there is money involved in it..

Nope, you're wrong. Serious gamers make these skins and send them off to the production company. Unless he is making his own mod, he ain't making shit. They are just trying to enhance the game. I can't believe you'd be so shitty about this. Hell if he just needs pics for the mechanical aspect, I'll do it.

Nope, you're wrong. Serious gamers make these skins and send them off to the production company. Unless he is making his own mod, he ain't making shit. They are just trying to enhance the game. I can't believe you'd be so shitty about this. Hell if he just needs pics for the mechanical aspect, I'll do it.

You're partially wrong here though, there's not production COMPANY involved in making a mod, just a bunch of guys who sacrifice their free time to get things done (modeling, coding, textures, etc).

If i'd have a saiga 12 i'd do it for him in a heartbeat. Once you get into serious gaming, and then eventually game modification(i'm through several total conversion mods here... mainly scripting and design, but i do a texture and model every now and then), you'll inevitably get to know these guys who make renders/skins/models for guns. They're really passionate about it, and they're working on these for weeks. Well, they would if they'd have a source instead of a bunch of guys with conspiracy theories. No offense.

if its for a game, or other "for profit" enterprise, charge him for the pics...... and get a credit...... hell yeah, if he's makin a buck, why not?

Dude, game developer companies don't buy renders from outsiders. I just said it's non profit, he's more than likely doing it for a game modification or just because.

On the other hand, if this guy would be from a game developement company's art department, you can bet he wouldn't be begging for a source on a forum. They have the budget to go and see the real thing.

I just said it's non profit, he's more than likely doing it for a game modification or just because.

Pure speculation, unless you know the guy personally. If he's making skins for that stupid Second Life game or one like it, then there's money in it if he's good. But, maybe it's just some guy who wants to toy around. Either way, it's Zak's choice.

:deadhorse:

Second Life doesn't need detailed Saiga-12 models, does it? I mean, firearms aren't even incorporated as far as i know. And a game with terrible graphics like that just wouldn't need anything more detailed than a black stick with a smaller black stick on the bottom.

To stay realistic, there's 99% chanse it's a non-profit project.

Zak, how about you ask him what he needs it for? (EDIT: Reading through the post a bit more carefully, he already stated why he needs it. That's reasonable. Go see his site, and if you feel comfortable with having a gallery like that added about your Saiga then go for it.)

Edited by Agias
Second Life doesn't need detailed Saiga-12 models, does it? I mean, firearms aren't even incorporated as far as i know. And a game with terrible graphics like that just wouldn't need anything more detailed than a black stick with a smaller black stick on the bottom.

To stay realistic, there's 99% chanse it's a non-profit project.

Zak, how about you ask him what he needs it for? (EDIT: Reading through the post a bit more carefully, he already stated why he needs it. That's reasonable. Go see his site, and if you feel comfortable with having a gallery like that added about your Saiga then go for it.)

Whether you think players need a Saiga-12 skin in that game is irrelevant. Whether it's a terrible game with terrible graphics is also irrelevant. Players skin everything in that game and make real cash for it. From articles I've read, people have made guns of all kinds. You can't fire them, but they're still popular. Just goes to show, you don't know everything about the gaming industry and every way to make money in it.

From articles I've read, people have made guns of all kinds. You can't fire them, but they're still popular. Just goes to show, you don't know everything about the gaming industry and every way to make money in it.

From the articles you've read, eh? Just for the record, i KNOW second life. I tried it. I didn't say for a second you can't sell model guns in it, i just said a game that's technically so crap does not demand model detail like that, in fact it would draw even more resources from an already badly optimised game. What you fail to see is, the target audience of these photo reference source site things are not second life whores, but honest FPS modders. It's funny that you mention i don't know about gaming industry, when i dedicated half of my life so far to gaming, made several total conversion mods, and i'm on friendly terms with the developer team called Stormregion, and have seen plenty of other companies' way of handling things.

Edited by Agias

Hello all,

First, sorry if i've not done my request on the forum. I think it was more quick if i contact directly some members by PM. Anyways, i'm not a shooter, so i doubt you'll be interested by me.

Next, i want clarify some things. If you take a look to my site, you've access to all the original pics for free. It's not the case of similar reference sites, where you must pay for that. Everyone can grab "my" pics and use them as they wish.

Mostly of the people who need of that kinds of pics aren't professionnals in game industry but moders (FPS mods as BF2:Project Reality by instance, are free). Real pro use their own material, they're payed to take reference pictures, record sounds/videos, even try the firearms at range, etc... Of course, some freelancers artists can use these pics for their work, but i'll never ask for money in return (my nickname in end credits is well enough for my ego). The goal of my site is only to share, and help artists to make weapons in games more realistics finally.

If you want something in compensation for your precious free time spent, i prefer send you a gift instead of money. It's the less i can do for your help indeed. However, don't expect something expensive, i'm not croesus unfortunately.

So, if you're a owner of Saiga 12 (or Tromix mod) and want help, PM me please (if you own another kind of firearm, i'm interested too).

Edited by Deicide
From articles I've read, people have made guns of all kinds. You can't fire them, but they're still popular. Just goes to show, you don't know everything about the gaming industry and every way to make money in it.

From the articles you've read, eh? Just for the record, i KNOW second life. I tried it. I didn't say for a second you can't sell model guns in it, i just said a game that's technically so crap does not demand model detail like that, in fact it would draw even more resources from an already badly optimised game. What you fail to see is, the target audience of these photo reference source site things are not second life whores, but honest FPS modders. It's funny that you mention i don't know about gaming industry, when i dedicated half of my life so far to gaming, made several total conversion mods, and i'm on friendly terms with the developer team called Stormregion, and have seen plenty of other companies' way of handling things.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Give it a rest. Nobody here gives a rats ass about what you claim to have done, who you're "friendly" with, or what you've seen. If you want to help the guy, help him. If you can't, leave others to decide for themselves.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Give it a rest. Nobody here gives a rats ass about what you claim to have done, who you're "friendly" with, or what you've seen. If you want to help the guy, help him. If you can't, leave others to decide for themselves.

Yeah? Why don't YOU leave them to decide instead of making up stupid speculations to scare people away from helping him? If you didn't go and try to sabotage the guy and even dare question me i wouldn't have posted this to begin with.

Edited by Agias

A friend and I were asked to record cockpit radio traffic for the BF2: Project Reality mod. Trouble was, they wanted the real-deal FM radio transmissions, and it's illegal to record them. I think my buddy ended up giving they unsecure radio recordings, not sure if they used them or not. They also wanted just a recording of ambient noise throughout the flight. I didn't really see a reason to charge them for it. Since we both played BF2 PR, we felt we could contribute to making the game better.

Decide, I am a COD4 player, and I own an S-12. Mine is nothing like a Tromix though, just a regular ol' conversion. PM me and I'll get ya' what you need.

Shane

A friend and I were asked to record cockpit radio traffic for the BF2: Project Reality mod. Trouble was, they wanted the real-deal FM radio transmissions, and it's illegal to record them. I think my buddy ended up giving they unsecure radio recordings, not sure if they used them or not. They also wanted just a recording of ambient noise throughout the flight. I didn't really see a reason to charge them for it. Since we both played BF2 PR, we felt we could contribute to making the game better.

Wow, i didn't know the BF2:PR guys went THAT far. That's nothing short of amazing. I might end up pickin up BF2 and givint that a try.

I might just be stupid, but couldn't he just go to the S12 section and download pics from the picture thread, do search for Tromix in general as just about everyone who's ever bought one has posted pictures of it, or last, just click on the Tromix header up above and copy pics from Tonys site. Just thinking about easy options that require no action from anyone other than the person looking for the pics............