If your really interested in a eotech, AND IF you have a Gander Mountain in your area, they know sell the Bushnell version of the eotech for $250. BUT it doesnt have all the bells and whistles as a normal eotech, firstly you dont get the metal shield, second the recticle only comes in red and it is not NV compatable. I think Gander even had them on sell for $199 a couple of weeks ago. You could always check out ebaybanned.com they got alot of eotech/aimpoint etc. replicas, some of which im told arent have bad.

I respectfully disagree with, Nailer007 on the Mojo sight. I had it, and although it functions well, it's to far forward to get the effect a peep style sight was designed for. Still got fuzzy sight picture, although younger eyes won't have that problem I'd wait on it. DPH arms is going to bring to market their new peep sight sometime this Fall. It will mount on the rear tang of the receiver giving you a longer sight radius.

I know you don't want to spend the money on an Eotech, however, if you do you will not be disappointed. The Eotech is a true Hologram that gives the shooter the illusion of the sighting dot protruding several feet in front of the barrel. The Eotech's electric components are encased in epoxy for more rugged environments. I don't know if the Bushnell version is or not. I'm satisfied with mine.

The other alternative is go with the new side low mount weaver rail, and get a russian red dot sight that mounts on the side rail. Figure on about $200 or a little more if you go that route. Contact Tantal for a price request and availability. Beware of cheap Chinese clones. Go with Tantal and you won't be gypped.

Edited by MacMan
If your really interested in a eotech, AND IF you have a Gander Mountain in your area, they know sell the Bushnell version of the eotech for $250. BUT it doesnt have all the bells and whistles as a normal eotech, firstly you dont get the metal shield, second the recticle only comes in red and it is not NV compatable. I think Gander even had them on sell for $199 a couple of weeks ago. You could always check out ebaybanned.com they got alot of eotech/aimpoint etc. replicas, some of which im told arent have bad.

Eotech reticles only come in red anyway, and not all Eotech models are NV capable.

I went with an Eotech 512. I got a great deal on it, so I had to pick it up. It's not NV capable, but that doesn't matter in the least to me.

+1 for the Bushnell though. It's an Eotech 511 (the new Bushnell Holosights are only available in the N battery model, IIRC), minus the protective hood. If you can find an older Bushnell Holosight in AA battery, snatch it up.

BUT it doesnt have all the bells and whistles as a normal eotech, firstly you dont get the metal shield, second the recticle only comes in red and it is not NV compatable.
I keep seeing this come up with this subject.

I just have to ask, how important is it for a civilian to have an NV compatible optic?

I don't know anyone with NVGs. . . .

I will second the motion on the Bushnell optic, as it works just fine.

BUT it doesnt have all the bells and whistles as a normal eotech, firstly you dont get the metal shield, second the recticle only comes in red and it is not NV compatable.
I keep seeing this come up with this subject.

I just have to ask, how important is it for a civilian to have an NV compatible optic?

Theres always those "mall ninjas" lurking about..... :ph34r:

I have to go with the Bushnell as well. I have three, one on a s12 (15000rnd aprox), one one a 7.62x39 Verper (3750rnd aprox) and another on .22 (so many boxs of ammo I have long ago lost count-12g hull must DIE!).

No problems at all.

Here's a bunch:

Click here.

All of these sights except the bushnell and eotechs are reflex red dots just like the kobra. They are advertised as holographic but are not. The bushnell is a true hologram as are the eotech's, everything else is a red dot. Unless you are contemplating a combat situation, just want to drop 4 large or have to have NV capabilities, the bushnell is as good as an eotech. The high end eotechs are made for very intense environs and this is reflected in price. A true holographic laser at present is capable of transmitting only one wavelength, remember this is a laser, and that is RED. The red/green sights are LED optical reflex, you know reflects off a mirrored screen. The only one that will actually work in daylight is the 551 graphic reflex offered by Sunclear/Vector optics. It is an $85 red/green dot and the windage /elevation works. All the others really, really suck. Do not waste your time as you WILL only be sending them back=$$$. I know, I evaluated all the brands available for a retailer and only the Vector worked. The rest are junk made only for airsoft, indoors. I have a Vector with the copy magnifier on an AR15 in 9mm and it works very well. It is not as versatile as the bushnell, optically speaking, but works as good as any red dot sight. The aimpoint replica red dot Vector offers is also very good and you can mount any of the aimpoint 3x magnifier clones behind the bushnell or eotech or any red dot with excellent results. I have seen the magnifiers as cheap as $30. The QD mount needs to be modified with some epoxy for tight lockup and the screws changed to steel hex heads but they work very, very well and do not cost $400. They are only a lens with minimal windage and elevation so there is no electronics or anything that will readily break. Again unless you plan on ragheads shooting at you or using your weapon as a crowbar, these will work just fine. For the higher recoil stuff I went with the bushnell holosight.

Edited by U.S Praetorian

I bought an NVG for hand held usage when I help out the BP down at the border in the PRK. It came with a weapons mount....so when I got my EoTech I made sure it was NV compatable, just in case. Plus I also sell NV gear and other tactical gear at funshows. I also have a Bushnell which is made by EoTech and it works great and I use that on my shotgun.

No Mall Ninja here LOL :ded:

Edited by Berzerker
Here's a bunch:

Click here.

All of these sights except the bushnell and eotechs are reflex red dots just like the kobra. They are advertised as holographic but are not. The bushnell is a true hologram as are the eotech's, everything else is a red dot.

Agreed. I just posted the link based on the fact that the OP didn't want to drop $400, which pretty much knocks Eotech out of the question.

Here's a bunch:

Click here.

All of these sights except the bushnell and eotechs are reflex red dots just like the kobra. They are advertised as holographic but are not. The bushnell is a true hologram as are the eotech's, everything else is a red dot.

Agreed. I just posted the link based on the fact that the OP didn't want to drop $400, which pretty much knocks Eotech out of the question.

I got my Eotech for $375 and my Bushnell for $167 through Sportsmans Guide. After I got it I tried to order another one and they were all sold out.

Snooze you lose I guess. I have bought various red dots in the past and have always been disappointed at how bright sunlight washed out the dot.

It doesn't happen on the Eotech/Bushnell's.

Here's a bunch:

Click here.

I got my Eotech for $375 and my Bushnell for $167 through Sportsmans Guide. After I got it I tried to order another one and they were all sold out.

Snooze you lose I guess. I have bought various red dots in the past and have always been disappointed at how bright sunlight washed out the dot.

It doesn't happen on the Eotech/Bushnell's.

I lucked out with my Eotech. DPMS was trying to get rid of the 512's, to make room for the new 516's (I think that's the model anyway), and sold brand NIB 512's for $328 shipped. Kinda funny how they were getting rid of "old" inventory, when mine had a manufacture date of 2 months before the purchase :D . Great deal.

My red dot stack includes:

C-More

EOTech

Aimpoint

OKO

JPoint

Tasco PDP4

Doctor

Pride-Fowler

I run C-More on most of my competition guns; they are easy to use, stand up to abuse, and the battery life is good. OKO are the same configuration, but are all plastic (including the 1913 "feet") and can be abused to failure easier than the C-More...even though the OKO has a better dot, the battery lasts longer, and it s a lighter and shorter sight.

I've been evaluating the Pride-Fowler (Doctor/Jpoint type sight), and so far am happy with it. Metal with a glass lens (and best of all, it has a top-side battery compartment so you can change the battery without having to remove the sight from the mount and then rezeroing the darn thing).

EOTech are big and heavy, with fuzzy reticles. I didn't like 'em in the Desert, and I don't like them for working guns. For a duty-type weapon, I really like the Aimpoint (I have both M2 and M3, and not the M4 because I am poor)...the dot lasts forever, the sights are tough, they have real adjustments (something all the others do not)...the only downside is that after shooting a C-more/OKO/Doctor type, it feels like you are aiming through a toilet paper tube :)

Doctor sights need to be "bullet proofed" before they will hold up...basically taken apart and having silicone reinforcement "beaded" over the soldering. JPoints are good, with only the battery change issue mentioned above.

If you can find an old PDP4 (not the new crap, an old one) they run well and last forever. Big, though...like mounting a Coke can on your gun.

Anyway, for what little my opinion is worth, I recommend the Aimpoint for serious use with "not-quite-optimal-but-still-pretty-darn-good" utility for competition. A C-more with a flip-to-the-side mounted 3 or 4 power magnifier would be pretty darn cool.

Edited to add: The Burris Fastfire has a bad habit of turning itself off under recoil; not recommended.

Alex

Edited by Wakal
How about the Com Bloc scopes and the Russian Kobra scope? They are a good deal for the money and are military grade so they can take abuse. I have one and it fits on the side rail.

Agreed, This is probably one of the best red dots available, sturdy, accurate and very very reliable. The PK-AS is also an excellent optic. The best I have seen and used for the price.

My red dot stack includes:

C-More

EOTech

Aimpoint

OKO

JPoint

Tasco PDP4

Doctor

Pride-Fowler

I run C-More on most of my competition guns; they are easy to use, stand up to abuse, and the battery life is good. OKO are the same configuration, but are all plastic (including the 1913 "feet") and can be abused to failure easier than the C-More...even though the OKO has a better dot, the battery lasts longer, and it s a lighter and shorter sight.

I've been evaluating the Pride-Fowler (Doctor/Jpoint type sight), and so far am happy with it. Metal with a glass lens (and best of all, it has a top-side battery compartment so you can change the battery without having to remove the sight from the mount and then rezeroing the darn thing).

EOTech are big and heavy, with fuzzy reticles. I didn't like 'em in the Desert, and I don't like them for working guns. For a duty-type weapon, I really like the Aimpoint (I have both M2 and M3, and not the M4 because I am poor)...the dot lasts forever, the sights are tough, they have real adjustments (something all the others do not)...the only downside is that after shooting a C-more/OKO/Doctor type, it feels like you are aiming through a toilet paper tube :)

Doctor sights need to be "bullet proofed" before they will hold up...basically taken apart and having silicone reinforcement "beaded" over the soldering. JPoints are good, with only the battery change issue mentioned above.

If you can find an old PDP4 (not the new crap, an old one) they run well and last forever. Big, though...like mounting a Coke can on your gun.

Anyway, for what little my opinion is worth, I recommend the Aimpoint for serious use with "not-quite-optimal-but-still-pretty-darn-good" utility for competition. A C-more with a flip-to-the-side mounted 3 or 4 power magnifier would be pretty darn cool.

Edited to add: The Burris Fastfire has a bad habit of turning itself off under recoil; not recommended.

Alex

Thanks for the report! I was just a hair away from getting a fastfire.

Burris knows about that feature...there was a fairly steady stream of folks "mentioning" it to them at the SHOT show earlier this year when I was poking around their booth :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention, I have one of the "mini" (about Doctor size) TruGlo sights too...I don't mention it because it is back in the factory box, where it has lived since the week after I got it. Too dim for bright Texas sun, and no way to turn it up. The side/slide battery compartment is pretty cool, as is the size and integral all-metal 1913 mounting system...and I talked to TruGlo's designers about that little "bright" problem at SHOT, too. They say the new ones are better, but I'm not willing to put in a big enough dealer order to establish an account when I want just one at a reasonable cost to find out if they still stink.

I rate optics based on utility...how much "meat" surrounds the glass (and thus covers targets downrange), how bright the dot, how sharp the dot (more important as the engagement range increases), how the battery change works, how long the batteries last, and how reliable/resistant to being beat up/sand encrusted/rained on the unit will be. Most of the Soviet block gear fails the "field of view" section and "clarity" tests. The cheap Asian junk fails the "durability" and "clarity" tests. However, I keep looking because I would love to find a $50 sight that works as well (or better) as the way-expensive sights :haha:

Alex

Burris knows about that feature...there was a fairly steady stream of folks "mentioning" it to them at the SHOT show earlier this year when I was poking around their booth :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention, I have one of the "mini" (about Doctor size) TruGlo sights too...I don't mention it because it is back in the factory box, where it has lived since the week after I got it. Too dim for bright Texas sun, and no way to turn it up. The side/slide battery compartment is pretty cool, as is the size and integral all-metal 1913 mounting system...and I talked to TruGlo's designers about that little "bright" problem at SHOT, too. They say the new ones are better, but I'm not willing to put in a big enough dealer order to establish an account when I want just one at a reasonable cost to find out if they still stink.

I rate optics based on utility...how much "meat" surrounds the glass (and thus covers targets downrange), how bright the dot, how sharp the dot (more important as the engagement range increases), how the battery change works, how long the batteries last, and how reliable/resistant to being beat up/sand encrusted/rained on the unit will be. Most of the Soviet block gear fails the "field of view" section and "clarity" tests. The cheap Asian junk fails the "durability" and "clarity" tests. However, I keep looking because I would love to find a $50 sight that works as well (or better) as the way-expensive sights :haha:

Alex

Well I don't have quite the selection you do, but I have been trying to fight the "right" sight. I know the Bushnells work, but I was hoping to find a fastfire/Doc/JP style because they seem to work better on AK's than the Bushnells that were designed for AR's. Of course the key to finding the "right" one is one that works AND doesn't cost $400.00.

Yep, good optics suck money right out of your wallet. I have an assortment of rifles with big glass, and looking at the rows of guns in the safe with the 30mm and 35mm scopes just sort of makes ya sick. Sure is nice to use, though.

In the "little bitty sight" range, I am quite fond of that Pride-Fowler. www.midwayusa.com has them in stock for around $270-300. Mine fits on all the Doctor bases I had laying around, too. If I had all the money I wanted, I'd strip all the Doctors and Jpoints off everything in the safe and replace them with the P/F series. As it is, I have the P/F on my primary competition guns :dollar:

Alex

If you want a true Halographic sight it's bucks. I didn't go through the entire thread, what is your farthest shot going to be. I have Bushnell Halo. and I need magnification. If you want to engage targets fast get a red dot with magni. ACOG's are WAY to expensive to put on an AK(unless your life depends on that piece) Tru Glo has I think 2 or 3 models and the most expensive is under 150$ Now if you do get a Halo sight aimpoint and EO tech make magnifiers but there like 400-700$ but cheaper than dirt has a 3 power that's 100$ and somewhere on this forum they had the knock offs for 200$

If you want a true Halographic sight it's bucks. I didn't go through the entire thread, what is your farthest shot going to be. I have Bushnell Halo. and I need magnification. Now if you do get a Halo sight aimpoint and EO tech make magnifiers but there like 400-700$ but cheaper than dirt has a 3 power that's 100$ and somewhere on this forum they had the knock offs for 200$

There are aimpoint 3x mags available as cheap as $30.00 that is without shipping. These work as well as the real $400 jobs and look as good. Eye relief with any magnifier is only 2-3 in., might be an issue with higher calibres.