Remembering a high school buddy "Matt Hilton"

I just dropped my kid off at my Ex's house..

The Ex just told me she went to Matt's funeral last Thursday.

(I believe he was killed on july 2nd...)

I was un aware of the news.....

Matt was a good friend, good cop, and a good solder...

It's been well over a decade since I saw him last.

RIP Matt....

the following is from:

http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS10/807030474

Lathrup Village officials and residents paused this weekend to remember Lathrup Police Officer Matthew Hilton, 37, killed Thursday while on duty with his National Guard unit in Afghanistan.

We are heartsick and our hearts go out to his family," Lathrup Mayor Frank Brock said of the Livonia resident.According to military reports, Hilton was among three guardsmen killed by roadside bombs, rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire. Hilton was a sergeant first class in the 425th Infantry Regiment of the Michigan Army National Guard, based at Selfridge Air Base in Macomb County.

It was his second tour of duty in the Middle East since 2005. He previously served in Iraq. His wife Mary also a reservist, has also served in the Middle East.

"Service to their country meant a great deal to both of them," Brock said.

Hilton expressed his thoughts about his military commitment in a 2005 e-mail to the Southfield Eccentric.

"I miss my family," he wrote from Iraq. "But I am happy to be serving my country here. I believe being here is the right thing (for the United States) to do."

The Hiltons met in the reserves. In addition to his wife, Hilton is survived by an adult son and a daughter. His wife returned from active duty in May, Lathrup Police Chief Robert Jones said.

Hilton's military-type dedication extended to his police work, Jones noted.

"He wasn't one to ask many questions. If you gave him an assignment, he'd go out and get it done," Jones said.

Lathrup Detective Scott McKee remembered Hilton as a fitness buff.

"He'd always be the first one to show up for duty because he'd be running in the (department basement)," McKee said.

A native of Holt, just southeast of Lansing, Hilton joined the Lathrup police force in 2001 after previously serving in Detroit.

"He was a great officer," McKee said. "He'd throw himself full scale into everything he tried."

Funeral arrangements are pending. Also killed were Sgt. 1st Class Joseph A. McKay, 51, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Spc. Mark C. Palmateer, 38, of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. According to the military, all died of wounds suffered in the attack.

At home, the couple were active in efforts to support the troops and took part in a 2005 ceremony in which the POW flag was raised outside the Lathrup Village City Hall.

Brock said the city will hold a memorial service for Hilton at an appropriate time.

Matt.jpg

Thanks Gunny... He had no kids (i guess that's a good thing)

but he did leave behind a wife.... I will pass condolences along to her.....

Seldom is the offering so great as the sacrifices placed on the Alter of Freedom... :cryss:

We (you and I and several others here) are (or have been) warriors in the tru sense and understand that this is what sometimes (often) happens when warriors go to war in the name of feedom's line of work. It's not fun. It's not easy. It's not something everyone should/could/would do... But, it's a job that through out history has had to be done, by people like you and I... It is our ethos...

Sempre Fi (Sempre Fidelis) - Always faithful

De Opresso Libre - To Free the Oppressed

So That Others May Live

Those Who Dare, Wins

Pamwe Chete - All (of us) Together!

Follow Me

KAPHAR HUNNU BHANDA MORNU RAMRO CHHAA - [iT IS BETTER TO DIE THAN LIVE A COWARD]

Don't think of this as the loss of someone who had their whole life ahead of them, but rather the forfillemet of a warrior who done his duty and completed his mission...

To be a warrior, you cannot fear death... You just need to carry on the mission...

I am sorry for your (and our) loss. But, tommorow, victory and freedom await.

Macbeau sends...