Drilling into TOUGH Soviet steel.....

I'm in the process of a PG conversion w/ krinkov style stock.

I can drill the rivets out easily with standard drill bits. But what do you all use for the trigger guard weld??? That steel is TOUGH and have gone thru 3 bits already. The trigger plate/guard is all off the rifle receiver right now.

Diamond/carbide tipped drill bits?

Thanks,

The trigger plate is off the rifle, heat it with a torch until red (Focus the heat on the spot weld). When it cools, it will be soft. Don't quench it (dip it in water). Let it cool to room temperature by itself. I use a propane torch.

I'm in the process of a PG conversion w/ krinkov style stock.

I can drill the rivets out easily with standard drill bits. But what do you all use for the trigger guard weld??? That steel is TOUGH and have gone thru 3 bits already. The trigger plate/guard is all off the rifle receiver right now.

Diamond/carbide tipped drill bits?

Thanks,

Cobalt alloy bits work very well.

I used a dremel with a special steel cutting bit, I think I paid like $12.00 for that ONE dremel bit... but it chewed thru that spotweld like a nice steak...

not butter... that would be too sloppy... but it still made quick work of it... :lol: LOL :up:

:smoke:

+1 on the Cobalt bits....go slow and use oil

Yup, what he said. I had put my cordless on the "1" setting and high torque instead of the drill setting, with a small container of used motor oil that I dipped the drill tip in every couple spins. I'll tell ya this though, I purchased the 3 piece center punch set from Home Depot and the durn Ruskie metal blunted all the tips.

I used a dremel with a special steel cutting bit, I think I paid like $12.00 for that ONE dremel bit... but it chewed thru that spotweld like a nice steak...

not butter... that would be too sloppy... but it still made quick work of it... :lol: LOL :up:

+1

The easiest method by far is the glass and tile bit. It's heaps faster than the cobalt bits. No going slow...... just do it.

I center punched it and drilled the bulk of it out in a few seconds and I was through the weld. Used a HSS bit to finish. Here are a few pics.

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

IMG_6489.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG

IMG_6495.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

Edited by schadenfreude

The pics show a spade type carbide inserted tile drill

The #1 problem is heat, and as scoutjoe states spindle speeds

If the drill goes too fast for only a second it can burn the cutting surfaces and work harden the steel

The most pressure, thus more heat and it work hardens more and the drill dulls more

It's hard to control speed with a hand drill, but can be done

In a press run about 200 - 300 rpm and use oil

The oil lubricates and helps with the transfer of heat into the chip

the reason center drills work better is it has a heavy duty flut profile and material behind the cutting surfaces to absorb more heat before the edges burn.

Carbide tools work because they can tolerate more heat and are harder, but much more brittle.

Try the HSS or cobalt tools with proper speeds and if it burns ( stops cutting consistant chip ) then go to carbide

The spot welds are harder than the surrounding material because the heat alters the hardness of the steel.

Edited by skiboatsp