Taran Butler's new Competition Saiga (PICS)

Here's a few pics of Taran Butler's new Saiga-12, sponsored by Tromix.

OAL - 37.6"

Bbl - 16.2" ported, + 2" Permanent Tromix Comp

Rem Chokes buried behind the Comp

12" Tromix Gas System

Weight - 7.8 lb empty with optic

Trigger - 3 lb super short/quick reset

Extended short throw safety

Extended magazine release

Drop free mags

Internally fenced magwell

Tromix adjustable stock

Extended dog leg charging handle

Tromix gas piston

Rivetless slabside receiver

Bolt Carrier guide

Top Cover hood

Tromix hand guard

Low profile Tromix Dr. Optic mount

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Butler5.jpg

Butler7.jpg

Butler6.jpg

Butler2.jpg

Butler3.jpg

Butler4.jpg

I drilled the rivets down below the surface, then welded them up.

Make sure you don't just cover the top of the hole though. You need penetration into the rivet shaft, then draw the weld up from there.

Tony

It came out great. This is really going to get some attention on the competition circuit.

Taran will be at the Tulsa 2008 Pro-Am (handgun only comp) at USSA tomorrow. I will have the gun there for him tomorrow.

Tony

It came out great. This is really going to get some attention on the competition circuit.

Taran will be at the Tulsa 2008 Pro-Am (handgun only comp) at USSA tomorrow. I will have the gun there for him tomorrow.

Tony

That gun looks great!

I like that rear extension on the dogleg, gets your fingers away from the optic.

The smooth side looks really cool too.

I would hate to even guess how many hours you sweated over that sucker to get it right.

I was out there today, very hot but they have the place set up well.

Will he have it on display and are you going to be out there?

Tom

Awesome work, as always.

Can I ask how you got the trigger pull down to #3?

It's beautiful but the one thing I'm interested in is the trigger :)

I got my trigger pull down using only ONE leg of the hammer spring but it didn't have enough UMPH to reset the trigger.... Did you use one leg then polish the hammer/disconnecter area to allow the single leg to reset the trigger?

Thanks!

Laser engraved?

#3 trigger, Super-short reset/throw, deep-internal remchokes, welded smooth rivets, in a sense, a gun-smithing Marvel..... and leave it to drew to focus on the Laser engraving! :haha:

BTW, let's talk shirts Juggs!

Just how many Saiga 12s do you have? I noticed the EAA engraving on the side.

Internally Fenced mag well?

I have been having one of my magazines inadvertently drop during competition. My extended mag release is aluminum. Do you increase the spring tension in the mag release?

Great looking gun. I wonder if Dean Makkos will meet Taran in a three gun. Dean has beat the hell out of the first competition gun you built him practicing reloads.

I am still playing around with the mags. For Dean's gun, I mod'd Gen 1 mags and they all locked up great. On the new gun, I mod'd some Gen 1's and some Gen 2's. The 1's lock up fine, the 2's all want to fall out during firing. I need to figure out why that is, but I just test fired the gun for the first time yesterday. Give a couple of days and I will be able to tell you why.

Tony

I am still playing around with the mags. For Dean's gun, I mod'd Gen 1 mags and they all locked up great. On the new gun, I mod'd some Gen 1's and some Gen 2's. The 1's lock up fine, the 2's all want to fall out during firing. I need to figure out why that is, but I just test fired the gun for the first time yesterday. Give a couple of days and I will be able to tell you why.

Tony

Gun is incredible. How hard was it to modify the mags and what did you do to them?

Thanks,

Greg

The competition guys can never seem to agree on where the optic should be located. Some guys say it's better way up front and others want it back close to their eye.

On the mag modification, I removed the front/top screw and ground the lug off the front. Then plastiwelded the two halves back together. That's about it.

Tony

I have all the confidence in the world on your skills Tony , but I only ask this cause it happened to me. I was a firm believer of carefully grinding away the last of the rec on my first '74 build about 5 years ago , but left the old rivit shanks sticking out to use sorta like you did. Fitted and measured the loc of the new holes then lightly pried apart new rec and slid it over the front trun and let the old rivit shanks fill the new rec holes. I had a friend/ coworker,( who is a cert. master welder) weld up the holes and the top of the rivits. I primed, sanded then reprimed and baked at 180 the rec using PPG's DP 90 Epoxy, which gives it an awesome satin black but corr res. I made a "shaved" look, it look pretty much like yours with only the pins showing. I sanded, stained and clearcoated the wood. It was so nice it became my wife fav and she would tolerate me using it anymore =P. Anyhow and I would beat the drums on the side of "weld ups", till one day.. my wife said " hey babe somethings wrong, it shooting waaay off" I took it from her and checked the camber and started looking it over when I felt the front end kind of move. It was still locking up and would fire the welds still held but what broke was the the edge or "ring" where weld material ended and the rec metal took over. All welds held but the weld/rec area failed. But the Epoxy finish hide most of the issue. The rifle had atleast 10k of rounds before the failure though, but she still failed. I then went and checked my AMD pistol weld build , holy crap the same thing except they hadnt broke free yet. BTW I shoot that thing on every trip and have put well over 8k through it. But anyhow the welds held the old riv shanks but it was the weld to rec that was developing a "ring" or a "crack". After a bunch of brainstorming the best we could come up with was the strength of the hard as hell weld and the material of the rec had diff flexing and work hardness issues. I figure somehow way back in the day the Sov's figured out with the flexing of the rec and the ultra hard trun's that mating the two needed a flex joint like a rivit and not a rigid weld, to my best opinion they work hardened the rec past where the holes where. Any ideas...

Fxds

Edited by Fxds

Oh and forgot to add that after I found the cracking on my second had the AMD rewelding and it started to crack agian just right the edge of the weld nugget. I sighed, tore them apart pressed out the barrels and used new rivits for the OEM look.

Hey Tony I've had the same problem with my Magwell conversion and AGP mags falling out during fire. Otherwise they work fine, but sometimes they just fall out. What ammo are you using to test with? I think the problem might be the mag catch extension. Just that little bit of extra weight, combined with the recoil, is enough to move it just enough to dislodge the mag.

I have had the exact same thing happen before with un altered AGPs and my Warfield Armory extended release, in a regular S-12 conversion without a mag well. Mine's probably heavier since it's attached with screws, but yours is longer so it's possible you're having the same issue.

I'm thinking for mine at least, I'm going to apply a little more mag catch spring pressure by shimming the back of the catch or adding something to the spring.

Jesus, Joseph, Mary and the twelve friggen Apostles....

How incredibly gorgeous is THAT!!!!

Gotta admit though... I'm rather dumbstruck that Tony is delving into making his firearm creations asthetically more appealing, vice being all mechanical about it (if... you know what I mean). I'm referring to grinding down and welding-up the rivets to make the receiver's sides smooth and clean.

Dammit if he just doesn't continue to refine and seek for the outer edge of the envelop with these Competition S-12s!

I gotta go grab a damned spittoon or bucket every damned time he posts photos of these.... just to keep my damned office floor dry from all the involuntary drooling I do.

:super: ......... :super: ......... :super: ......... :super: ......... :super: ......... :super: