Bad News on Mags from EAA

I just got off the phone with EAA. They have no mags for the .308. They are out of the 8 rounders. On the 20 rounders, I was told that the machine used to make these is broken and there is no telling when they can be produced again. This seemed to imply that in the past 20 rounders had actually been produced, although I have never seen any indication of that. On the 7.62 by 39, they have no 30 rounders--we know that these have been available in the past. They have the 10 rounders, but CDNN is selling them for $10 and they have a good stock. So forget EAA for Saiga mags for the two larger calibre rifles. I didn't ask about the .223 since I do not have a Saiga in that calibre. I tried to buy one from CDNN but they were out and didn't know when they would get more.

Monomonk

Someone on ARFCOM's AK board that I frequent said that the Russians are working with a new distributor and it's going to be 8 months before the red tape is cleared and Saigas are once again imported. EAA is no longer dealing with Saigas at all.

Like I said in another post (I think in the 7.62x39 part of this board) Saigas are a goldmine for an importer, and I think everyone would be really stupid not to try to snag this one. And for people like me who LOVE customizing things, that makes Saigas even more attractive. When I get mine on Thursday (hopefully) the first thing I am gonna do is strip the receiver and gunkote it in matte black.

I have a 7.62 and have developed a hankering for a .308.

I emailed EAA and they said they dropped the line for "various reasons."

Damn.

I emailed Izhvesk, hopefully they'll reply. I gave them a link to this board so they could see the level of support.

We have that asswipe in Wisconsin to thank for this...

Edited by Smiley_Guy

Your best bet is not dealing with them, as stated they are not being imported and won't be for some time.

I would look at distributors in the US with existing stocks. Grab one as fast as you can before word gets out though, which is already starting to happen. You might even be able to get one off gunbroker really quick or even have a local dealer order one for you (like I did).

Crappo

I have a 308 Saiga converted to pistol grip configuration, the Saiga 22" rifle, and now am wondering what the h*ll I will do when a main/major part breaks thats not interchangeable with an AK-47 rifle.

EAA's dropping the Saiga line has lead me to consider trading my 308 in on an underpowered AK, at least I will be able to get magazines and spare parts.

Thanks to the members of this forum for keeping us 308 owners out of the dark as to what is going on.

The only things you need worry about are magazine, trunion, and the bolt. On the otherhand, I know all but the trunion can be adapted with a mill (gunsmith). I assume a trunion can be as well, but haven't looked into it.

One of the reasons I bought a Saiga was the reliability of the AK platform. I have 2 Romanian AK's(SAR-1 & 3) that I have put thousands of rounds thru with zero problems and these were put together by Century. The Russian Saiga's are much better. However, if the possibility of having a parts breakage really bothers you, sell the rifle outright(no trades) and you'll probably come close to getting your money back.

jrobb

Oh well, guess I am gonna break down and mod the feedramp.

This is from EAA Website in case anyone cares:

Izhmash:

Due to a business decision on EAA's part, we will no longer carry parts and accessories for Izhmash "Saiga". Please call 321-639-4842 for existing inventory.

Have fun at school...which one?

Edited by Doerdie
You Would think that hunters wouldn't be the safest folks to shoot at!

Those hunters ran into a conflict with no guns??? Go figure?? Dumb asses or what? They should of shot the SOB!!!! :killer: UKP

only one of the hunters was armed. all the other people that were shot were unarmed.

actually i do, i can't believe i still have it. i was getting pms from people on 3 different sites who wanted to buy it, but i decided to wait a lil' while and i'm glad i did. i was actually planning on trying to fabricate some fiberglass stocks with my brothers help, but i don't think i'm gunna do it anymore.

i think i'm gunna sit on it for a few more weeks and see if people get desperate for saigas. maybe i could get more money for it :smoke:

Edited by chips