Some observations

The MD-20 drum is extremely well made and assembled. Out of the box it didn't fit my early (2001) EAA Saiga but we all pretty much knew some fitting would be required. Mike has a well written and illustrated owners guide that tells you exactly what to do and the process involve a very few minutes with a fingernail file.There are two possible adjustments needed so PAY ATTENTION to the instructions. One adjustment sets the magazine depth, the other sets mag release clearance. Once you get the drum to snap in properly load a few rounds and try again. It might not fit as easily so a couple more minutes with the file is all you'll need.

The spring tension is factory preset but you can change it if needed. This is also explained in the manual. Newer style/stonger springs are in the works.

Sadly the drum simply would not function in my NON-Bolt Hold Open gun out of the box. It did become possible after the drum broke in. Unless you have a BHO there is simply no easy (Or Safe!) way to insert the drum with 20 rounds in the drum. My fix will be to modify my Safety/Selector to hold the bolt back while inserting the drum. But I knew this beforehand.

If you have a Saiga-12.com Russian sidefolder it will no longer close as the drum interferes.

Of course Mike has already explained all of this in detail in this Forum but I decided to start a thread to show just what I ran into.

Personally I'm positive I got my monies worth even if I'd paid twice the price. And I now posess the baddest ass firearm on the planet! :devil:

Edited by Etek

If by 'Reliability Service' do you mean 10 minutes with a nail file to get a PERFECT fit?

On another note, the drum WILL insert on a closed bolt with less than 20 rounds in it on MY Saiga. And it gets easier every time I insert it.

Feeding is perfect using every 'Magnum' Federal, Winchester, and Lawman 00, 1 Buck and slug I've run through it with spring set a factory setting. The new style spring that's coming out probably won't be needed on my particular application.

As did many others, I received my drum this past week. Following Mike's excellent instructions I completely disassembled the drum, dusted the inside with graphite, and reassembled it with no problems. I find the design to be ingeniously simple. I am very proud of Mike for coming up with the idea, following through to make it a reality, and persevering when things didn't go as planned. Mike embodies the true American spirit of entrepreneurship.

Back to the drum.

I took it to the range for the first time today. When empty it locked into the gun easily and solidly. Loaded to its max of 20 rounds it would not lock in place. Downloaded to 19 rounds it would lock in without any issues. Except for this particular glitch it functioned smoothly and flawlessly.

I accidentally performed a drop test onto concrete with 20 rounds in the drum. That's when I discovered it didn't lock in place with all twenty rounds loaded. The drop test proved how well the thing is made. No cracks, dents, bumps, or bruises.

As this week begins I will be trying to figure out how to overcome its failure to lock in place with twenty rounds loaded. Shouldn't be a big deal.

- - - - - - - - - - UPDATE - - - - - - - - - -

I spent some hours trying to diagnose why I couldn't get my fully loaded (20 rnds) drum to lock in place (with the bolt open). Finally I discovered that the pin that holds the mag catch to its housing had walked out enough to allow the mag catch to tilt ever so slightly to one side. This caused the engagement surface of the catch to be higher than normal on one side. Once I drifted the pin back into position I was able to get the mag to lock in place.

Further experimentation today revealed that the fully loaded drum was much easier to lock in place when the Tromix shark brake was jammed into the rug on the floor than when the muzzle was elevated toward the ceiling. My theory was that the weight of a fully loaded drum was adversly affecting my ability to keep the forward locking lug of the drum pushed forward while at the same time rotating the drum up.

Assuming my theory was correct, I carefully dressed the top of the rear locking lug with a fine cut file. Voila! I achieved drum nirvana. The drum now locks in place no matter in which direction the barrel is pointed. I'm a happy camper.

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA
As did many others, I received my drum this past week. Following Mike's excellent instructions I completely disassembled the drum, dusted the inside with graphite, and reassembled it with no problems. I find the design to be ingeniously simple. I am very proud of Mike for coming up with the idea, following through to make it a reality, and persevering when things didn't go as planned. Mike embodies the true American spirit of entrepreneurship.

Back to the drum.

I took it to the range for the first time today. When empty it locked into the gun easily and solidly. Loaded to its max of 20 rounds it would not lock in place. Downloaded to 19 rounds it would lock in without any issues. Except for this particular glitch it functioned smoothly and flawlessly.

I accidentally performed a drop test onto concrete with 20 rounds in the drum. That's when I discovered it didn't lock in place with all twenty rounds loaded. The drop test proved how well the thing is made. No cracks, dents, bumps, or bruises.

As this week begins I will be trying to figure out how to overcome its failure to lock in place with twenty rounds loaded. Shouldn't be a big deal.

The drum won't lock in with 20 rds on a closed bolt. You will need to lock or hold the bolt back before locking it in fully loaded.

I put my drum to the test yesterday at a nearby range and with Remington #7 low brass (Wal-Mart bulk pack) not a single problem in 100 rounds. Drum locked in place with a little effort and loading to 19 rounds, I could lock it in with the bolt closed. With my #5 low brass turkey/ pheasant reloads I had a couple misfeeds in 50+ rounds probably due to my MEC jr. press' rough crimping die. Overall, the drum magazine loads and feeds perfectly in my Saiga-12.

Big thanks again Mike!!

The drum won't lock in with 20 rds on a closed bolt. You will need to lock or hold the bolt back before locking it in fully loaded.

Hey Mike! Job well done!

I was not perfectly clear in my post. The fully loaded (20 rnds) drum will not lock into my gun with the bolt open. I haven't fully diagnosed the problem but my initial inspection leads me to believe there is a part of the gun that is contacting the top round. This part is pushing down on the rounds as the drum is inserted.

After dinner tonight I will disassemble the gun and play with it and the drum to further diagnose the problem.