I was at the 'rents house the other day, sitting on the back porch with my mom. Then all of a sudden, we heard LOUD ass coyotes going nuts in the woods behind their house. We looked at eachother like this: :eek: ....literally, lol.

I've never heard anything like it. It's not the "country" where they live, but there's probably a couple acres or more, of wooded area out back. I shined a spot light up there, but couldn't see them. It sounded like 15 of 'em back there.

So I searched YouTube, so my sister could hear what my mom and I heard. I found this video, and it sounds exactly like what we heard. Take a listen. Does anyone know what the hell they're doing? Some kind of mating stuff? Fighting? Do I need to bring the Saiga to the 'rents house, and make sure a coyote doesn't eat their pups?

I too have heard them many times in the woods near my house at night. A few times during the day too. Sometimes a fire engine siren or something like that will set them off, and a whole family group will do this. I think the coyote population by my house is finally in a slump after many years of extreme amounts of them. Goofy ass animals for sure! Keep your pets indoors and small children.

I too have heard them many times in the woods near my house at night. A few times during the day too. Sometimes a fire engine siren or something like that will set them off, and a whole family group will do this. I think the coyote population by my house is finally in a slump after many years of extreme amounts of them. Goofy ass animals for sure! Keep your pets indoors and small children.

There was no other noise that could've set them off. It was in an instant, out of nowhere. It was weird. And to be honest, they sounded real close, but I couldn't see them with the spotlight. Not even any glowing eyes.

But yeah, I already told my parents to make sure the pups are leashed when they take them out. Sometimes, they take them out with no leash, because they don't really go to far. But who knows what they would do if they heard/smelled/saw a coyote.

About a month ago I heard what I thought was a woman screaming in pain... like a death cry though. I took two steps into a run in that direction until they sortof became dog like sounds and I realized they must have been coyotes and walked back into the house. It sounded JUST like a person until they started making more bark like noises. It was pretty creepy.

About a month ago I heard what I thought was a woman screaming in pain... like a death cry though. I took two steps into a run in that direction until they sortof became dog like sounds and I realized they must have been coyotes and walked back into the house. It sounded JUST like a person until they started making more bark like noises. It was pretty creepy.

I think that was my wife, she's a screamer......sorry :devil:

Edited by read_the_wall

Yup. One of the weirdest (creepy is a good word too, because it definitely was) noises I've ever heard. I was like " :horror: , WTF WAS THAT?!?!?!?".

:lol:

We hear them at my parents house all of the time. Always described the sound as "screaming babies". Heard them making that noise while running the cattle at night. Scary when you look off the porch, and see a bunch of eyes staring at you from the tree line at night.

Scary when you look off the porch, and see a bunch of eyes staring at you from the tree line at night.

It is. A friend of mine is good at calling them. I hate when he does, cause they start showing up in large numbers. Only thing spookier is cross country skiing/snow showing in the back country and you come back across your tracks only to find cat prints criss crossing yours. Never saw or heard it. :o

I've yet to come across the actual cougar.

I'd stop using that path. Cougars can be extremely dangerous, and have little fear of a solo human. Knowing you're sharing territory with one of those things, by yourself, with no protection, is a scary thought. I wouldn't even trust a high-caliber pistol.

Scary when you look off the porch, and see a bunch of eyes staring at you from the tree line at night.

It is. A friend of mine is good at calling them. I hate when he does, cause they start showing up in large numbers. Only thing spookier is cross country skiing/snow showing in the back country and you come back across your tracks only to find cat prints criss crossing yours. Never saw or heard it. :o

Now that is some creepy shit!

Reminds me of a buddy from highschool, who swore someone was watching him sleep one night. He woke up the next morning, and there was an indentation in a folded blanket, as if someone was sitting in it all night :o .

City slickers. No offense. This is normal coyote pack verbiage. Here in Texas on our ranch this is commonly heard many time a day, usually at dusk and in the evening. You can hear three or four packs in several different locales. We always compare it to a bunch of frickin' iraqi women doing the "tongue thing" This is their communication for triangulation. You can mimic them and readily be answered. The dogs don't even bother to act interested it is so common. This mind you, is not the only sounds audible. The nights are very busy here. Pigs squealing when they fight, whitetails produce a loud peculiar sound similiar to letting air very rapidly out of a compressed container. Like shaking up a carbonated drink and cracking the lid only 10-20-times louder. They do this when you or something intrudes in their space. Bobcats growling, all kinds of shit and various birds that really make some scary sounds. I always enjoy when some of my city slicker friends want to hunt. They will not get out of the artificial light present around the living quarters because they have seen too much follywood bullshit like Deliverance or Friday the 13th. "They be cryin' for their momma" in the dark and it gets real real dark out here and they know they are at least 20-30 miles from civilization and 911. Most of the time there is no cellular signal. Quite entertaining!!

I'd stop using that path. Cougars can be extremely dangerous, and have little fear of a solo human. Knowing you're sharing territory with one of those things, by yourself, with no protection, is a scary thought. I wouldn't even trust a high-caliber pistol.

Oh no, I have company. Not that my younger 115 lb sisters who can out skii me are any better.

<== cat food

City slickers. No offense. This is normal coyote pack verbiage. Here in Texas on our ranch this is commonly heard many time a day, usually at dusk and in the evening. You can hear three or four packs in several different locales. We always compare it to a bunch of frickin' iraqi women doing the "tongue thing" This is their communication for triangulation. You can mimic them and readily be answered. The dogs don't even bother to act interested it is so common. This mind you, is not the only sounds audible. The nights are very busy here. Pigs squealing when they fight, whitetails produce a loud peculiar sound similiar to letting air very rapidly out of a compressed container. Like shaking up a carbonated drink and cracking the lid only 10-20-times louder. They do this when you or something intrudes in their space. Bobcats growling, all kinds of shit and various birds that really make some scary sounds. I always enjoy when some of my city slicker friends want to hunt. They will not get out of the artificial light present around the living quarters because they have seen too much follywood bullshit like Deliverance or Friday the 13th. "They be cryin' for their momma" in the dark and it gets real real dark out here and they know they are at least 20-30 miles from civilization and 911. Most of the time there is no cellular signal. Quite entertaining!!

<---- Guilty of being somewhat of a "city slicker". :D

I was pretty much born/raised in "city/suburban life". Where the ambient sounds are totally different from the "country life". I'm not sure I could live in the country full-time, but I love it when I can get out there. My girl, my sister and a few friends camped out a couple months ago, and we all made note of how the "silence was deafening". It was weird to literally hear nothing at times.

I'm going to try mimicking them, like you said, if I hear them again. Just to see if I can get a response :D .

I was pretty much born/raised in "city/suburban life". Where the ambient sounds are totally different from the "country life". I'm not sure I could live in the country full-time, but I love it when I can get out there. My girl, my sister and a few friends camped out a couple months ago, and we all made note of how the "silence was deafening". It was weird to literally hear nothing at times.

I'm going to try mimicking them, like you said, if I hear them again. Just to see if I can get a response :D .

Try hooting and yelping, they will answer. Kinda weird but cool. You would grow to love being out in the country if you could spend more time there and yes at times especially in the winter after it snows it is deathly quiet but peaceful. Do not stop going especially if you have kids. Take them every chance you can. My five year old daughter loves swimming in the tanks (ponds, for you yangeezs) and on my lap, drives the big tractor and helps with the wildlife mgmt. She could care less about video games because she knows what real guns are capable of. The dramas that go on out there totally unseen by the rest of the world are simply fascinating. You can go the whole year not seeing people except the eletric meter reader guy. It makes you, or me at least, kind of envy what the early settlers and american indians got to deal with. I work in a large metropolitan area and I am really uncomfortable there and the predators they got are so much worse, so I gotta pack heat.

Yotes everywhere by my house, big population explosion over the last 5 years. See new roadkill every week on the main road. The ones near my house have little fear of humans, just ignore folks and look for housecats, kit foxes, and garbage to rumage through. I hit one in the head with a rock in the oil fields last year. It growled and just slowly walked away - almost like I was anoying to him. Ive seen many mountain lions in the Sierras and they seemed to pretty much ignore folks too. I shot a Mt. lion in Northern Nevada, and if you ever get to see one that close, they are very impressive animals. The mountain lions in the LA/orange county area are considered the most dangerous in the country; They lie around places like Irvine park and wait for parents to leave their kids alone. Critters in California get real desperate after wildfires - lots of missing pets and farm animals.

Try hooting and yelping, they will answer. Kinda weird but cool. You would grow to love being out in the country if you could spend more time there and yes at times especially in the winter after it snows it is deathly quiet but peaceful. Do not stop going especially if you have kids. Take them every chance you can. My five year old daughter loves swimming in the tanks (ponds, for you yangeezs) and on my lap, drives the big tractor and helps with the wildlife mgmt. She could care less about video games because she knows what real guns are capable of. The dramas that go on out there totally unseen by the rest of the world are simply fascinating. You can go the whole year not seeing people except the eletric meter reader guy. It makes you, or me at least, kind of envy what the early settlers and american indians got to deal with. I work in a large metropolitan area and I am really uncomfortable there and the predators they got are so much worse, so I gotta pack heat.

I'll definitely give it a try, if I hear them again.

As far as the "country", I won't stop going any time soon (negative on the kids, I'm only 25 and too immature :D ). My "plan" is, if I ever become financially able to do so (or hit the lottery), is to still live in the 'burbs/city setting, but also have a place, and lots-o-land in the boondocks. For when I want to get away. I know quite a few members here have the land to shoot on right out their back door, but to me, that is a dream. I can't even imagine walking out my back door, and going to my private "range". That would be awesome.

Take them every chance you can. My five year old daughter loves swimming in the tanks (ponds, for you yangeezs)

I haven't heard "tanks" used since my youth spending every weekend out at Hueco Tanks.

I enjoy what the city offers me in.. well.. mostly food. I look forward to coming home to Montana for Thanksgiving. Yay for the boonz.

Take them every chance you can. My five year old daughter loves swimming in the tanks (ponds, for you yangeezs)

I haven't heard "tanks" used since my youth spending every weekend out at Hueco Tanks.

I enjoy what the city offers me in.. well.. mostly food. I look forward to coming home to Montana for Thanksgiving. Yay for the boonz.

Common terminology 'round here. My wife and I take in the food and arts the city has to offer but it sure is nice to get home. 22 shooter, do not give up "dreaming". Alot of that, three college degrees and living in apartments with lawn furniture for 12 years of undergraduate/postgraduate schooling enabled me to get that ranch. You too will get your wish if you stay the course.

Had a similar experience while elk hunting 2 or 3 years back. Working my way up a timbered ridge as snow started falling and accumulating on bare ground. Got radio reception at the top to touch bases with pop on the neighboring ridge, then started back down to the level I wanted to side-hill at. Snow hadn't been falling for more than 15 minutes, and there were cat tracks on top of mine, following for a while before veering off. Grown man, armed to the teeth, and still just about wet myself. I'd always thought having the hair on the back of your neck stand up was just a figure of speech.

Just this summer pop and I walked off the porch of the family cabin at sunrise and stopped short with a huge cat standing 70 yards away looking at us like breakfast. Was big enough I would have felt like toast, too, if I'd been alone and unarmed. That's the only one I've ever seen that didn't look long and lanky. Like it thought its first name was African instead of Mountain. Must have stared at us for 20-30 seconds before trotting off calmly.

Lets just say the kid's don't play unsupervised outside the cabin anymore.

Common terminology 'round here. My wife and I take in the food and arts the city has to offer but it sure is nice to get home. 22 shooter, do not give up "dreaming". Alot of that, three college degrees and living in apartments with lawn furniture for 12 years of undergraduate/postgraduate schooling enabled me to get that ranch. You too will get your wish if you stay the course.

Thanks. It's funny though, having a second home in the sticks wasn't even a thought, until I started shooting/buy guns. I've only been a gun owner/shooter for about 3 years. I got into the game late :ded: . But better late, than never.

If you really want to have some fun, you could download some 'yote sound and play them back.

here

http://www.western-rivers.com/downloads.html

http://www.ewcalls.com/Call-Sounds-Single-Files.htm

That's awesome! I'm thinking of using those to scare the crap out of people too :D .