Saiga 12 "must have" mods

Ok, I know this is strictly a matter of preference, but I'd like to hear from Saiga 12 owners what they feel the utmost essential, must-have mods are. For instance, right now I'd say my must-have mod is a pistol grip and a folding stock. The reason for me is that my Saiga is my home defense, WTSHTF weapon. I need to make tight turns in the hallways, so the folder is essential. The grip is to get a good firm grip on the gun to improve balance and control. I think many owners probably consider the grip a high priority.

But what else? Brakes? LRBHO? Noise reduction? Recoil reduction? Throw them out there. I've never fired a 12 gauge, let alone the Saiga. I intend to take it out to the range a few times each year. :smoke:

.... I've never fired a 12 gauge, let alone the Saiga. I intend to take it out to the range a few times each year. :smoke:

My suggestion. Go shooting and learn about your firearm before trying to figure out what to change.

.... I've never fired a 12 gauge, let alone the Saiga. I intend to take it out to the range a few times each year. :smoke:

My suggestion. Go shooting and learn about your firearm before trying to figure out what to change.

It's good advice, but I'm still willing to hear suggestions. I'm already committed to having the trigger group moved forward and a pistol grip and folding buttstock installed.

I agree with Azrial. Its hard to know what will work for you when nothing works the same for everybody :lol: However, I will tell you what I thought was essential for a SHTF setup....some way to mount a tac light to the handguard. I invested in a TLR2 and, initially a halo handguard (junk but i miss the beefier look) but now a Chaos quadrail.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to look at some of the builds in the picture section and ask questions about them, it might help you move in the right direction as far as your build goes...thats what I did and now I have tons of ideas and very little funding lol.

OOh. I would say that a good sling can be invaluable, one that you can keep your weapon at the ready on front of you, but thats just me.

Edited by Azkamidaka

Critical Items:

PRACTICE

Tapco G-2 FCG

PG

Ace or Tromix Folder (if you want a folder)

AGP 10 rd mags

Good set of iron sights

Luxuries:

Cobra LRBHO (almost ready)

Bolt release (stuck in R&D mode) :rolleyes:

Cobra extended mag release (now available)

MD Arms 20 rd drum

Tromix Shark Brake

Rails on the front for light, VFG, optics maybe

Vented HGs

Bayo

I agree with Azrial. Its hard to know what will work for you when nothing works the same for everybody :lol: However, I will tell you what I thought was essential for a SHTF setup....some way to mount a tac light to the handguard. I invested in a TLR2 and, initially a halo handguard (junk but i miss the beefier look) but now a Chaos quadrail.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to look at some of the builds in the picture section and ask questions about them, it might help you move in the right direction as far as your build goes...thats what I did and now I have tons of ideas and very little funding lol.

OOh. I would say that a good sling can be invaluable, one that you can keep your weapon at the ready on front of you, but thats just me.

Yes, you've identified a couple of things that I'd like there too. I count a sling as essential. If I'm having to hike it somewhere, I don't want carry the gun in my hand the whole way. Very practical.

And yes, I'm eying the Chaos tri- and quad with envy, mostly because it looks ferocious, and that counts for something when you're offering someone some extra incentive to leave you be.

I hadn't given much thought to the tac light, but that's because I hadn't thought much about firing on an intruder in the dark, which is worth considering. Let me ask this, since I'm not much in the know: why a tac light instead of a laser sight? The laser lights up an area doesn't it?

I like the Izhmash picatinny fore end because all I like on my 12 is a light and maybe a laser. That streamlight TLR-2 is what I plan on putting on it. And of course definitely a good sling. And the shark break is a bonus too.

What's the deal with the shark brake? Recoil reduction? Greater accuracy?

For casual use, a few flats of ammo to practice with. Fear the man with only one gun :)

For any type of competition use, choke tubes, pistol grip conversion and fit oversized levers (so you can reach the controls from a firing grip)......decent sights (irons or optics)...mid-barrel brake...and a hell of a lot more of that "practice" stuff :ph34r:

Alex

Yes, you've identified a couple of things that I'd like there too. I count a sling as essential. If I'm having to hike it somewhere, I don't want carry the gun in my hand the whole way. Very practical.

And yes, I'm eying the Chaos tri- and quad with envy, mostly because it looks ferocious, and that counts for something when you're offering someone some extra incentive to leave you be.

I hadn't given much thought to the tac light, but that's because I hadn't thought much about firing on an intruder in the dark, which is worth considering. Let me ask this, since I'm not much in the know: why a tac light instead of a laser sight? The laser lights up an area doesn't it?

It's best that you have a light on it. In dark or low light conditions, are you sure it's an intruder or maybe one of your family members or friends? You should know what you are shooting at. A laser doesn't identify your target, it's just an aid to get you on target. Practice first with your iron sights and know the limits of your shotgun.

I like these handgaurds too, and I have to recommend a poly choke too,..

I like the Izhmash picatinny fore end because all I like on my 12 is a light and maybe a laser. That streamlight TLR-2 is what I plan on putting on it. And of course definitely a good sling. And the shark break is a bonus too.

TNG-S12-TACTICAL-FOREND.jpg

Some real good advice given above....

Here's my two bits. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Shoot your weapon.... and then shoot it some more. Taking it out once a month would be a minimum. Until you are totally comfortable with it and know it in and out, at all ranges.... I'd shoot it once or more a week. I'm not saying to put a hundred rounds through it in one sitting.... 20 rounds would do.

I have to say that out of the shotguns I have... and one is my specific slug gun..... the Saiga is a freakin' mule! My .50 BMG doesn't kick as hard! Mine is still bone stock. I'm putting it through it's paces to see what it's got.... and what it needs. I've run 8 shot, 4 shot, 00 and 000 buck, and saboted slugs as well as the hefty ol' pumpkin balls through it. It eagerly ate 'em up without a hitch.

My first mods will be the basics.... six 10rd mags, and slotted muzzle break w/elevated AK sights. I was going to get a pistol grip with a folder..... but after shooting it with the heavy loads.... I'll go with a pistol grip with a beefy solid butt. Durability trumps everything else in any of my weapons.

I was going to get the BHO mod... but the stock one is working just fine for now. Maybe later I'll add it on.

Try carrying a flashlight and a shotgun at the same time, just doesn't work. And zombie's only come out at night right? At least in some of the movies.

I confess, the zombie apocalypse has been much on my mind. Why a flashlight didn't occur to me before befuddles me. I can only hope that my Saiga 12 will be an Agent of Great Destruction in my hands against the hordes of the animated dead.

On the subject of flashlights, what do I need to look for, and where/how to mount it? This one will probably be down the road for me a bit, but I'd like to take a few notes. Thanks in advance.

Some real good advice given above....

Here's my two bits. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Shoot your weapon.... and then shoot it some more. Taking it out once a month would be a minimum. Until you are totally comfortable with it and know it in and out, at all ranges.... I'd shoot it once or more a week. I'm not saying to put a hundred rounds through it in one sitting.... 20 rounds would do.

I have to say that out of the shotguns I have... and one is my specific slug gun..... the Saiga is a freakin' mule! My .50 BMG doesn't kick as hard! Mine is still bone stock. I'm putting it through it's paces to see what it's got.... and what it needs. I've run 8 shot, 4 shot, 00 and 000 buck, and saboted slugs as well as the hefty ol' pumpkin balls through it. It eagerly ate 'em up without a hitch.

My first mods will be the basics.... six 10rd mags, and slotted muzzle break w/elevated AK sights. I was going to get a pistol grip with a folder..... but after shooting it with the heavy loads.... I'll go with a pistol grip with a beefy solid butt. Durability trumps everything else in any of my weapons.

I was going to get the BHO mod... but the stock one is working just fine for now. Maybe later I'll add it on.

There's a lot of good stuff in there, and I do take the point of needing/wanting to take it out to the range. I live in a metro area, and a first year membership in the local range will set me back $350 or so. This is a bit steep, but I'll get around to it soon. Fortunately renewals will be a fraction of that.

But this also raises the point: in its sporting configuration, what exactly can I use my 19" Saiga for? Trap? Water fowl? Turkey? Small game? I'd really like to know the answer to this as I can take courses in these things through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. I'll take a beginner course in shotgun shooting from the NRA.

On that last point, I've been scouring the Ammo forum for where to get deals on ammo. I'll try many kinds to run through the Saiga, and I'm hesitating to buy anything in bulk before I've tried a box of this or that to see what works. But as a place to start, if anyone can recommend a 00 buck that is cheap, plentiful, and reliable, I'll go buy a box of that first. Any suggestions?

A lot of guys prefer a standard shotgun layout that the Saiga comes setup like from the factory. Try it out before you spend money converting it.

Once Cobra's LRBHO comes out, I'll consider it a MUST HAVE. More must have than even 10 round mags. LRBHO would shave entire seconds out of times.

Edited by Twinsen