26" barrel installed

• 7 months later...

this barrel had to come from somewhere..some gun... must know so i can grab one too...

Still haven't solved that mystery, SOMEONE is bound to stumble into this thread and recognize it.

And yes, it's been an on-going project for way too long, too many irons in the fire, did finally score a no-go gauge for it. Also picked up a 1p21 scope, would that be overkill for .308?

t

I have to admit this is the nicest 308 I've seen yet.... Congrats on your find, can you tell us where you got it? What the twist rate is? Are their any markings on the barrel?

I found the complete frontend on Gunbroker, then decided to build a rifle around it LOL. Somewhere during its life it had a threaded chamber, only marking is a British proof mark on the turned-down section.

Haven't ever checked the twist, good question!

all that effort and the stock trigger pull... at this level how do you justify not converting?

You have no idea what effort has gone into this so loosen your panties a notch or two, I have a RSA set for it.

t

That's one of the best looking rifles I've seen. Great work man!

Thank you, what do you think about using the 1p21 scope?

t

I've not personally used one, but what I've read, it seems to be very easy to for range well beyond 750m. Have you shot yours yet, and if so, what kinds of groups are you getting at what ranges? I can't get over how sinister that gun looks. Love that barrel. :killer:

all that effort and the stock trigger pull... at this level how do you justify not converting?

You have no idea what effort has gone into this so loosen your panties a notch or two, I have a RSA set for it.

t

LMAO, you will love that trigger group, I have it on my 308, you will have to change out that buttstock also. What buttstock do you plan on putting on?

As far as twist rate, do you know how to determine the rate? If not here is what I was thinking, take your cleaning rod with a 308 brush on it, insert it from the muzzle to the chamber, start to pull out, when it starts to turn stop. Mark your rod (at the muzzle) with a dot then continue to pul slowly, once the dot turns 360 degrees and is on top again stop. Mark it at the muzzle with another dot, pull it out and measure the distance between the 2 dots, this will give you a general idea of the twist rate, it is either a 1:10 1:12 or even a 1:14 (I doubt this one)

Let us know.....

Added:

I have to ask, what did you pay for it?? If you do not want to tell I understand, but I am part cat LOL....

Edited by Gunlover_2008

t

I thought it was a valid question. I guess I'm uptight now, :lolol:

You'll love it. I have a RSA on my x39. I thought this was being presented as a completed product and not a work in progress.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

No, due to the buttstock used I left the FCG as is. The headspace "looks" dead-on when viewing the internals, I have a NO-GO gauge but that's it. I have other pics of the barrel assy before I installed it but can't edit the OP so might start a fresh thread, really don't know at the moment.

t

• Like 1

Patience is definitely a virtue that you have!

Is the barrel pinned in place? Did you install the barrel or a gunsmith? Headspace gauges can be bought from alot of the large online vendors, such as Midway and Brownell's.

• 3 months later...
Is that a custom piece?

Who made it?

Nobody knows. Its cross posted on several forums asking for any advise. The barrel is very distinctive of a super vepr but the rear sight base looks like a saiga .308 with the 300 meter leaf. The gas block is something I have never seen before.

Barrel looks like Super Vepr only longer.

post-6703-1226448127_thumb.jpg

Still hopin' to run across somebody that knows the origin.

t