• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobra, I was a stupid kid and traded my baby for an old van. Lol @ seacow! Nice. I love the Cobras, probably my favorite small car. Yours looks great! Hey Reddog, VERY nice. My shop is a pole barn too, your going to be thrilled when its done. I love the fast back, want to sell it? Posably trade for a 429scj long block? My father would kill for a fastback!

Hey if you and cobra 76 two, and anyone else wants to check out a cool website on stangs go to www.carbdford.com. Got lots of good info and parts for sale, including tech articles on "how to do" kind of stuff. Come on spring, the hoists in the basement need to get back to work, they've been laying down on the job for 3+ years now!!! Pistonring8, might know someone in need of that 429, what ya asking for it? Does anyone else got any hot rods/projects?

Not really a hot rod, though it did spit fire when I first bought it:

102_0276.sized.jpg

Car is a 1968 Chevy Corvair 500 with a 110HP (yeah right) Air cooled horizontal 6 cylinder (located in the back of the car), 3 speed tranny, manual everything (Tranny, steering, windows, door locks) 4/55 AC system (4 windows down, 55 MPH), broken heater, etc... Car is currently purring like a kitten after rebuilding both carbs and other misc engine work. The interior is bare metal. She's a long term project and is and will probably only ever be driveable 2 seasons out of the year, but it's fun and really turns heads when I'm driving around town.

Stokstad's Firbird seems to be missing an engine and transmission, but its still a hell of a car!

Love that Corvair! Looks real nice. Thats not a "blue flame" six cylinder back there is it? I know they made a Yenco Corvair with it, but it was also an expensive option to have the Corvette blue flame six in a Corvair. :super: Said to be a super rare valuable car if it was originally ordered with it.

I'm not sure what a "Blue Flame" six is, but the 110HP 6 + 3 Speed manual is surprisingly peppy. I've surprised a number of rice burners off the line (top end sucks, but 1+2 is pretty fun :devil: ) Another gear or maybe the stock turbo setup would be interesting, but not required for the type of driving I do in it.

Yes I had the engine and trans out of it. Was going to rebuild it it. Never got around to it. Sold everything :cryss: I got it from the original owner who bought it off the showroom floor in 68. My parents remember riding in it in high school. I miss that car. Never should have sold it. Even with having a ton of blow by that 400 engine still had nuts.

I'd suppose there is no room for my 91 Honda Civic on this thread. 1.5 big liters, 90 big horses, 195,000 miles and 30 mpg. It all adds up to a not quite white knuckled fuel conservin beast. Beat that muthafucka's!!!

My Buick gets 32+ on the highway, but I digress :haha:

I've seen some info on a 68 Corvair getting ~30MPG on the highway and >22MPG in town :eek: Not bad for mostly 35 year old technology

As the former owner of my Corvair told me: 0-60 in a minute or two :smoke:. He forgot to tell me it depended on the car going down hill with a tail wind

How about a 91 Camry with 266,450 miles and still running, the a/c even works!! Matter of fact I just sold it today to a guy for 1,000.00, hard to believe kelly blue book still had it valued at 1775.00 with 266K on it!!! Guess I'll be going tomarrow to the gun shop to get the 7.62 off layaway, or should I get the 410 out? Would get both out but the ole lady wants most of it to go on the creditcard to pay for mustang parts I bought, imagine that shit!!!

How about a 91 Camry with 266,450 miles and still running, the a/c even works!! Matter of fact I just sold it today to a guy for 1,000.00, hard to believe kelly blue book still had it valued at 1775.00 with 266K on it!!!

Hate to say it but you cant beat those jap cars for longevity, really though I love my car, put a cheap pacesetter exhaust on it (needed replacing anyway) and you wouldnt believe how loud it is. she's my baby, sad as that is.

Guess I'll be going tomarrow to the gun shop to get the 7.62 off layaway, or should I get the 410 out? Would get both out but the ole lady wants most of it to go on the creditcard to pay for mustang parts I bought, imagine that shit!!!

Damn women always get in the way of our guns. The nerve.

Edited by chris410

Here's a real HOT rod for ya. Not much on gas milage but with 500 cubic inches, 500 foot pounds of torque, and 500 horsepower who the hell cares about gas milage? I wish I could say it was mine but at least my brother my brother inlaw lets me drive it sometimes. After takin a spin in this baby EVERYTHING seems slow!

post-9-1106620737.jpg

Auto trivia:

When VWs patents expired GM invented the Corvair engine and Chrysler invented the 'Torsion bar suspension.'

The VW patents expired in 1958/59? Looking at a Corvair and Bug powertrain, about the only similarity is that they are air cooled, rear engine, and rear wheel drive. The cam shaft alone on a 'Vair is probably 3x more complicated than the Bug's :blink: (Don't ask me how I know this...).

Cobra 76 two - Sweet ride man. I'm more of a Chevy nut, but I'm not one to argue with a free ride, much less driving a bad ass car.

I had a '64 Tempest. Amazing car for its time. It used the Corvair (I think) transmission but had a front mounted water cooled 4 (with a 4bbl!). The engine was connected to a "torque tube" that ran in a box to the transmission. Flywheel and starter were at the back. The weight distribution was great. It was way ahead of its time. A little modern material science to lighten it up a bit and stiffen the suspension, a decent transmission and it would have been a BMW killer.