Surefire Saiga 12/13rd Magazine Pics-Early Christmas Present

Santa came a little early.

I received 2 sample Surefire Saiga 12 mags today.

I am really impressed with them. They are very solid and smooth feeding. I inserted them into 6 different Saiga 12's and they fit very tight in 5 of the six. No movement at all. The 6th was extremely tight and after taking it in and out a few times it fit perfect.

They actually hold 13 rds. I had no problem inserting them with 13rds loaded on a closed bolt with my stock guns. Some people may have trouble inserting them fully loaded on a closed bolt and that is why they are still calling them a 12rd magazine.

They are a little long, but can easily be cut down to 10, 8 or 5 rds if desired.

Looks like it will be very easy to modify these to fit a magwell.

Here is a picture next to a 10 rd AGP. I will shoot 200 rds through it tomorrow and give a report.

The regular shipment will start to come in next week. I should be caught up on pre-orders with in a few weeks.

Email notices will be sent the day before your mags are shipping.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Greg

post-9063-1229810566_thumb.jpg

post-9063-1229810576_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really impressed with them. They are very solid and smooth feeding. I inserted them into 6 different Saiga 12's and they fit very tight in 5 of the six. No movement at all. The 6th was extremely tight and after taking it in and out a few times it fit perfect.

They actually hold 13 rds. I had no problem inserting them with 13rds loaded on a closed bolt with my stock guns. Some people may have trouble inserting them fully loaded on a closed bolt and that is why they are still calling them a 12rd magazine.

They are a little long, but can easily be cut down to 10, 8 or 5 rds if desired.

Here is a picture next to a 10 rd AGP. I will shoot 200 rds through it tomorrow and give a report.

The regular shipment will start to come in next week. I should be caught up on pre-orders with in a few weeks.

Cobra, your sample mag is on the way now.

Greg

we need 8 round mags not 10 , 12 or 13

Greg

I have no projected delivery date for the 8's or 10's. I am sure Cobra would be willing to modify as many of these as you would like to an 8rd if you do not want to do it yourself.

Greg

Yeah, no shit. That mag is way too long.

Cut the thing off, right at the top of the CSS logo and it would be fine.

Tony

I think that a ten round drum would be handier and less obtrusive. Maybe Mike can wash one of his MD 20s in hot water then throw it in the drier for a couple of hours to shrink it down to an MD 10.

My Dremel can hardly wait! One is going to be an 8 rounder and I will keep the other one as a 13 rounder for the novelty. As soon as Christmas is over I will be ordering more. :super:

ETA: What ridge do I have to cut under to make it an 8 rounder? The one above your logo or the one below it? Plus do I need to cut off any spring coils? Thanks!

Edited by Tacticool
My Dremel can hardly wait! One is going to be an 8 rounder and I will keep the other one as a 13 rounder for the novelty. As soon as Christmas is over I will be ordering more. :super:

ETA: What ridge do I have to cut under to make it an 8 rounder? The one above your logo or the one below it? Plus do I need to cut off any spring coils? Thanks!

Actually you would want to cut it just below the second rib from the bottom, for an 8 rounder. You gotta leave plenty of room for the spring and follower.

Yeah they're long alright! Not really much different to scale than a x39 with a 40 rdr maybe? Hell I think they're badass! You can cut them back if you want to ( like Greg said, I'll be more than happy to cut them back for you for cheap). That's the beauty of the design.

In loading and hand cycling the mag, at least with this one, it would not load on a closed bolt at all, but was very easy to load with 12 rds.

All the rounds cycled perfectly by hand.

Can't wait to range test this baby tomorrow! Thank you Phil! Looks like a VERY high quality mag here! The follower comes up very strong.

Somebody say pics in a Saiga???? :super:

post-1293-1229817785_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1229817797_thumb.jpg

Actually you would want to cut it just below the second rib from the bottom, for an 8 rounder. You gotta leave plenty of room for the spring and follower.

Yeah they're long alright! Not really much different to scale than a x39 with a 40 rdr maybe? Hell I think they're badass! You can cut them back if you want to ( like Greg said, I'll be more than happy to cut them back for you for cheap). That's the beauty of the design.

In loading and hand cycling the mag, at least with this one, it would not load on a closed bolt at all, but was very easy to load with 12 rds.

All the rounds cycled perfectly by hand.

Can't wait to range test this baby tomorrow! Thank you Phil! Looks like a VERY high quality mag here! The follower comes up very strong.

Somebody say pics in a Saiga???? :super:

post-1293-1229817785_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1229817797_thumb.jpg

Cobra is correct. I cut one to the second from the bottom very easily with a chop saw. I did not alter the spring. Actually holds 9 perfect.

Greg

post-9063-1229822293_thumb.jpg

post-9063-1229822307_thumb.jpg

questions I would like to see answered, for unobvious reasons, but seriously -

how does it handle different shells, under FA use?

how do the mag lips hold up

and how about field loading of mags, when in dirty situations? Is there enough play in the magazine body with 3" loadings to cycle on high-speed guns, so to speak, if crap gets in there?

We here at CGW most likely will stick to less than ten rounds for FA and entry gun use sales, but I am indeed curious about how these mags works under heavy abuse, temperatures, and loadings in a full auto. I know that surefire offers a solid product, and am interested heavily in how tests work out.

As unique as it is, i cant see swinging a loaded 12-13 rounder under a lightweight LEO only FA gun, but they can indeed be cut back, like all surefire magazines, which is what I am most interested in hearing about, with the springs, and adjusted shorter lengths and all.....

I also would like to hear about failure temperatures on the polymers.

I eagerly await test results, in whatever fashion they may be released.....so far, most consumer level products have not met specifications for military and law enforcement use, that were not factory parts.

Surefire has a solid product and line, and we will be selling MGs that take this magazine, and have a current prototype that accepts them. I really would like to know everyones findings on this mag. Further, I would VERY much be interested in doing some environmental testing of my own on this, for my company.

-Ben Vampatella

questions I would like to see answered, for unobvious reasons, but seriously -

how does it handle different shells, under FA use?

how do the mag lips hold up

and how about field loading of mags, when in dirty situations? Is there enough play in the magazine body with 3" loadings to cycle on high-speed guns, so to speak, if crap gets in there?

We here at CGW most likely will stick to less than ten rounds for FA and entry gun use sales, but I am indeed curious about how these mags works under heavy abuse, temperatures, and loadings in a full auto. I know that surefire offers a solid product, and am interested heavily in how tests work out.

As unique as it is, i cant see swinging a loaded 12-13 rounder under a lightweight LEO only FA gun, but they can indeed be cut back, like all surefire magazines, which is what I am most interested in hearing about, with the springs, and adjusted shorter lengths and all.....

I also would like to hear about failure temperatures on the polymers.

I eagerly await test results, in whatever fashion they may be released.....so far, most consumer level products have not met specifications for military and law enforcement use.

Surefire has a solid product and line, and we will be selling MGs that take this magazine, and have a current prototype that accepts them. I really would like to know everyones findings on this mag. Further, I would VERY much be interested in doing some environmental testing of my own on this, for my company.

-Ben Vampatella

Ben I will be in your neck of the woods on Tuesday we need to talk

Cobra is correct. I cut one to the second from the bottom very easily with a chop saw. I did not alter the spring. Actually holds 9 perfect.

Greg

Thanks for that. The side by side view of the three mags really puts the size difference in perspective. I guess my last question would be; Do these hold the bolt open after the last round like the rifle mags? I'm going to guess 'no' because it's a single stack...?

Greg

8rds and made of better plastic than the 308 mags

Can i get a close up Pic's of the front and rear of the mag thanks Mark would like to see if it will work with my Mag well.

Not sure which mag well you have, looks like any easy mod to make it fit the factory one. After I finsh shooting them tomorrow I am going to modify one for my mag well.

Greg

post-9063-1229830814_thumb.jpg

post-9063-1229830837_thumb.jpg

Well no one has seen them till now,

I was secretly hoping they would be side staggered andthat they would be shorter than and AGP 10 rounder

but they are a long stick mag. The good news is they look like they will fit a mag well pretty sweet!

and may come in different capacities,..2, 5, 8-9, and 12

very nice!

I have identified only one problem, and perhaps it is not a problem. Does anyone else see an issue with the lack of replaceable feed lips? I actually think this is one of the strong points of the original factory design and I would have liked to see it carried over to these magazines. On a rebated-rim cartridge I don't see it being as big of a deal, but given the direct pressure the rim of the shotgun rounds place on the feed lips, it seems to me that the polymer would start to show signs of significant wear after a few hundred rounds.

what online retailers would have these first..

just picked up a s12 yesterday and am very interested in some mags for christmas...

is this the best thread to sub to, for release date?

thx.. cant wait to shoot this..

what online retailers would have these first..

just picked up a s12 yesterday and am very interested in some mags for christmas...

is this the best thread to sub to, for release date?

thx.. cant wait to shoot this..

We will start receiving them later in the week. It will take a few weeks to catch up on the pre-orders. The best way to get them is to pre-order from our website.

Greg