Anyone else going in the hole buying gun stuff lately?

Man, I've been trying to be smart about what I buy, and not get raped on my purchases. Leading up to the election, about a year and a half or so, I started buying guns and saving ammo. I've been doing alright since I graduated school about a year and a half ago, and started an actual career, but I kinda missed out on the lower prices around 05-06, since I didn't have a lot of disposable income. Anyway, now that gun prices have gotten unreasonable (for the most part), and ammo prices are pretty unreasonable, when you can find the stuff, I'm sitting here looking at the debt I've run up, coupled with the money I actually had that I spent.

It's not that much in the grand scheme of things, only $1500 debt right now, which I will be able to pay off relatively quickly. But it was all pretty much on gun stuff, aside from a plane ticket. I guess what I'm getting at is when do you say enough is enough? I know this is totally dependent upon the individual, and their means and obligations, as far as buying stuff that you don't really "need," but may actually need at some point.

I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I should continue throwing all my disposable income at gun stuff, right now I'm converting, building, and accessorizing everything I can, since ammo and guns are unreasonable in my book.

I guess my question is what should I prioritize? I feel like accessories are the way to go currently, as they probably won't be on the radar as much as actual guns and ammunition. I can't really bring myself to buy guns and ammo right now, unless I find a good deal on either.

I really want a fixed stock AK, and a couple thousand more rounds of ammo, but I'm going to wait and see what happens, maybe all this will fade away shortly after Jan 20th.

If my wife only knew, she would be poppin a cap in my a$$.

Well, I made my wife a deal when we got married, deal was I'll get you the ring of your dreams if I get the first 3 years our married life free of questions on how I spend our disposable income. For the women here don't worry, she stills gets gifts, dinners and special items now and then too. She also know I had to sell my 2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 to get her what she wanted, however selling the bike opened up money that otherwise would have been spent on maintenance, repairs, tires and speeding tickets....but she saw the sacrifice I made for her and now I can spend however I please.

I have 2.5 years to enjoy.....hmm, I need another combat tour to rake in some more of that TAX FREE :dollar: !! :devil:

Get this though........

NOW SHE WANTS A HOUSE!!! :cryss:

You probably haven't reached the age where you've acquired a bunch of irrelevant shit.

Believe me, you'll turn around 30 years from now and you will be BURIED IN IT.

My wife and I lost EVERYTHING in Hurricane Andrew. Every material possession we had was destroyed.

As strange as it might sound, it was one of the best fucking things that has ever happened to me.

I have no problem unloading CRAP.

So, here's how you hit a financial "double play."

If you are old enough to have acquired a bunch of SHIT... Sell it and use the proceeds to pay off your "guns and ammo" debt.

Since you're single, you won't have a bunch of arguments about tossing all your old lady's shit. That's a good thing. However, I'd suggest you analyze your own "crap" situation and get the fuck rid of it. Use that money to pay off your debt.

It's a financial double play. It's not a homer, but it is a solid base hit.

So what's up? What would your priorities be? Right now I'm sitting on ~3000 rounds of 7.62x39, ~1000 rounds .308, ~500 rounds 12 gauge, and a few boxes of .22 that I actually take and shoot. I have 1 gun per caliber, and am currently building another 7.62x39 gun. I have 5 AK drums, 10 AK mags, 2 .308 mags, 3 agp s12 mags, 1 MD20, and an eagle mag for the 10/22.

I'm about to convert the .308, add a foregrip with a rail so I can throw a bipod on it. Other than that, I can't really think of anything other than guns and ammo that I want.

What should I be looking at, or should I just lay low for the next few months and see what happens? Maybe I'll actually start reloading, instead of just talking about it.

You probably haven't reached the age where you've acquired a bunch of irrelevant shit.

Believe me, you'll turn around 30 years from now and you will be BURIED IN IT.

My wife and I lost EVERYTHING in Hurricane Andrew. Every material possession we had was destroyed.

As strange as it might sound, it was one of the best fucking things that has ever happened to me.

I have no problem unloading CRAP.

So, here's how you hit a financial "double play."

If you are old enough to have acquired a bunch of SHIT... Sell it and use the proceeds to pay off your "guns and ammo" debt.

Since you're single, you won't have a bunch of arguments about tossing all your old lady's shit. That's a good thing. However, I'd suggest you analyze your own "crap" situation and get the fuck rid of it. Use that money to pay off your debt.

It's a financial double play. It's not a homer, but it is a solid base hit.

This appears to be sound advice. I have a project car that's going nowhere fast, maybe I should part it out, or pull the hotrod turbo motor (which I can't make run right) out, and put a regular motor in it, and sell it.

When it comes time to clean out our belongings, I normally want to throw out all my old lady's "SHIT" and keep my "STUFF."

After all, my STUFF is important and her SHIT just clutters the place up.

That inevitably leads to trouble.

If you're single, you don't have that problem.

However, the big danger is becoming EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to your "STUFF."

Believe me, your "STUFF" is crap!

How do I tell the difference between my "stuff" and my "CRAP?"

I use the two-year rule. If I haven't touched something within TWO YEARS of putting it down (wherever it is), it's SHIT and needs to be turned into cash NOW.

My whole point with the old lady's shit vs. my stuff story is to point out how we get EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to what really amounts to SHIT.

Your emotional ties to junk will hurt you every time.

Break the chain!

The only thing you're allowed to get emotionally attached to is semi-auto weaponry. The reason that is OK to fall in love with is because it WILL GET MORE VALUABLE OVER TIME.

That's the rule you must live by.

Look around you. I guarantee you there's shit in view right now that you have some emotional attachment to.

Fuck it! Turn it into cash and then use that cash to pay down debt.

There's no time to waste!

Prices are nuts right now. If you can get yourself some more mags for the 10/22. Then If you can I would buy some more mags for the 308. But they need to be at the prices they were before all this panic buying. If you hold out there maybe some cheap stuff for sale in a year if all goes good. But you are taking chances.

I was wanting to build another AR but in 9mm. So I looked around and found in my town a pawn shop that had some Stag lowers at $125 and bought 2 of them. Now I'm just waiting to buy a upper, wow did I get the urge a couple of months to late. :shocked: They cost way to much now with a couple month wait.

Called Botach and asked if they had any Pmags in stock they said yes. I ordered 12 and 5-18 rd Mec-Gar beretta mags and a light. Still waiting for the Pmags. 2 months or more now. That has been the extent of my buying.

A does anyone know of any inch Fal mags for sale at a good price? :shame:

Edited by Racer 27
Prices are nuts right now. If you can get yourself some more mags for the 10/22. Then If you can I would buy some more mags for the 308. But they need to be at the prices they were before all this panic buying. If you hold out there maybe some cheap stuff for sale in a year if all goes good. But you are taking chances.

I was wanting to build another AR but in 9mm. So I looked around and found in my town a pawn shop that had some Stag lowers at $125 and bought 2 of them. Now I'm just waiting to buy a upper, wow did I get the urge a couple of months to late. :shocked: They cost way to much now with a couple month wait.

Called Botach and asked if they had any Pmags in stock they said yes. I ordered 12 and 5-18 rd Mec ger beretta mags and a light. Still waiting for the Pmags. 2 months or more now. That has been the extent of my buying.

A does anyone know of any inch Fal mags for sale at a good price? :shame:

This is what I'm afraid of. If I don't buy everything RIGHT NOW then I may not be able to get it, or prices may go up even further. Hell, look at steel case 7.62, it's gotten so scarce in the past couple of months.

But then again, I don't want to buy all this shit at inflated prices, only to have it be available cheaper if nothing of significance happens, as far as guns are concerned.

I feel like a lot of the atmosphere may be related to merchants creating a panic situation. Shit, just go listen to the guys at the gun show.

I think maybe I'll chill out and get caught up.

I understand all the concern for prices and for paying too much for hardware.

Believe me, I get it.

However, you need to understand the bigger picture.

Right now, the TRILLIONS of dollars of pork that is being handed out WILL START TO CIRCULATE in the economy.

The bailout money doesn't even exist. They're going to have to print it.

That will lead to BIG INFLATION over time.

It will happen. When the money they're printing for all these bailouts and spending programs starts to circulate, prices will go WTF up.

It's not that the shit you buy is worth more, it's that the value of the dollar is worth LESS.

What I am getting at is the prices you think are inflated right now will seem like chicken feed in a couple of years.

The problem is, the hardware won't be available in a couple of years.

So, any hardware you buy TODAY that eventually becomes banned will go up DOUBLY in price as time goes on. Some of the increase will be do to the dollar being worth LESS and the rest will be because of supply limitations due to future bans.

Buying assault weapons and high cap mags, even at THESE PRICES, is not foolish. It's not a mistake.

And another thing...

My advice will work no matter what happens.

It's sound no matter what.

EVEN IF (and I don't believe this for a second) there is NO BAN on assault weaponry and associated hardware, buying it now will protect the value of today's dollar when inflation hits.

Every dollar you spend on high cap mags, bayonet lugs, assault weapons and the like, will secure the value of your net worth - AS LONG AS YOU DON'T FUCK UP AND GO SHOOT IT!

That's the deal. You need to make some purchases that are simply for retaining the value of your money. If you go shoot the shit up, you just screwed yourself.

This is NOT to say that you can't shoot anything. Just save some of the stuff you buy as NIB. Consider it a hedge against the inflation that's sure to come.

I understand the deal with the dollar being worth less. I always make this comparison: in 2002 I bought my first rifle, a MAK90 with a bunch of good mags, aftermarket stock, original furniture included for $400. This was during the AWB, but gas was ~$1.75 a gallon, IIRC. Even though gas is down right now, I still gauge the price of the dollar on the price of gas. I think gas will be back to $3 a gallon soon enough, demonstrating that the dollar is only worth about 1/2 of what it was 6-8 years ago. I hope that makes sense.

I'm going to bed, I'll think more in the morning. I'm going to have to pay this off, preferably sooner than later.

I wouldn't say going into the hole, but could definitely be spending money on other things. My immediate friends and family think I'm crazy/nuts/retarded for wanting to spend so much on guns and ammo ASAP.

I'm not deterred tho. I just don't get how people can't understand the logic with what's going on in Washington. I also don't know of anyone with land to shoot on but am working on that. I only wish I had opened my eyes sooner last year. I knew four years ago Obongo was going to be the next President, but as it drew closer I was in a state of denial thinking people weren't dumb enough to elect him. But alas we got to choose between the giant douche and the turd sandwich again. And I was too caught up in it to worry about meaningless things like the Constitution. Now that it's happened tho I've got two Saiga's and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Love em.

Sorry I waited longer than I should have but even the higher prices of a few months ago were acceptable to me. And plan on investing what I can in my new hobby over the next 4-5 months or so or until a new AWB whichever happens first.

And if nothing does happen as far as libtard gun legislation, so what I have a couple reliable rifles and shotguns I'll have the rest of my life and always be able to sell if need be. And besides if anything does happen SOMEONE in my family will be able to protect them. Not to mention the zombies.

Edited by Wotan1105

Wish I could spend more on guns and such, but money's tight, and my wife just found out her job is going away at the end of February. And there's a good chance my own job will be going the same way in the not-too-distant future. :( We're looking at relocating to West Texas to see what we can find out there...

Wish I could spend more on guns and such, but money's tight, and my wife just found out her job is going away at the end of February. And there's a good chance my own job will be going the same way in the not-too-distant future. :( We're looking at relocating to West Texas to see what we can find out there...

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you both.

Believe me, I get it.

Right now, the TRILLIONS of dollars of pork that is being handed out WILL START TO CIRCULATE in the economy.

It will happen. When the money they're printing for all these bailouts and spending programs starts to circulate, prices will go WTF up.

It's not that the shit you buy is worth more, it's that the value of the dollar is worth LESS.

What I am getting at is the prices you think are inflated right now will seem like chicken feed in a couple of years.

So, any hardware you buy TODAY that eventually becomes banned will go up DOUBLY in price as time goes on. Some of the increase will be do to the dollar being worth LESS and the rest will be because of supply limitations due to future bans.

Buying assault weapons and high cap mags, even at THESE PRICES, is not foolish. It's not a mistake.

Glad to see that someone besides me is paying attention. It seems that 99% of the country is goddamn clueless.

My worst fear here is that Obama will try so hard to postpone the inevitable systemic meltdown that it actually won't happen. Then we'll be left with a permanently stagnant economy, mind-numbing debt, and no important social changes. LET IT ALL CRASH, DAMMIT! :angry:

What should I be looking at, or should I just lay low for the next few months and see what happens?

Ammo is still cheap (relatively) if you search high and low for it on the net, you will find it. The firearms market is already settling back down now that buyers have figured out that AK's and AR's are not exactly going to dissapear in the wink of an eye...Still too pricy but I have a feeling the situation will level out soon (already is on gunbroker) unless obongo says or does something that starts the panic all over again. My biggest fear right now is an executive order banning all imports of "weapons and ammunition" suitable for a "military purpose". He has expressed a desire for such a ban when in the Illinois legislature; and I have a feeling he may try it...Sooner or later, I think it will happen.

A buddy of mine who is in the business of building AK's and does Century sub-contracts told me Century still has around 60,000 AK kits; I.O. has around 20 (thousand) and that there is a lot of hoarding of kit's going on. Mossberg is now building chrome lined AK barrels (just started) along w/ another barrel maker he told me about who's name I cant' remember offhand and Green Mountain is still building their non-chrome lined AK barrels; Elk River Tool & Die and DCI are cranking out thousands of receivers; so I really don't see any shortage of AK pattern rifles (AR also) in the near and not so near future; unless a ban comes slamming down on us all unexpectedly (who knows; dicey business to be in right now, considering the soon-to-be current politics).

Whats funny is this buying craze all but overlooked the .308 MBR pattern rifles: FAL's, Cetme's and HK pattern rifles haven't really hit the ceiling and been all bought up like the AK's and AR's have.

I'm pretty well set on weapons, but it seems that you can never have enough ammo when you do a lot of shooting of military pattern rifles; so I have been buying up mil surp ammo wherever I can find it at what I feel is a good price- SG had Brown Bear 7.62x39 on sale for $105 for a 500 rnd. brick (early Dec.); so I bought 16 bricks; thought about it for a couple days and figured I better buy more; went back and it was all fucking gone! There is still Yugo mil surp 7.62x39 out there so I bought around 6000 rnds. of that instead...

J&G want's $300 per. 1000 of Brown Bear now; what gougers. :booo:

I'm definitely not "in the hole" from firearm related purchases, in recent months. I don't even have a credit card. All of my online firearm related purchases come out of my checking account, by way of using my debit card as a CC. So I can't really go in the hole.

I've been trying to get the things I wanted, but have put off. If I didn't want it before Obama was elected, I still don't want it now. I'm not buying stuff in "panic mode" that I don't even want/need, just due to the political climate. That's just me though.

I was going to buy an XBOX 360 last week................but started to think of what gun stuff I could buy with that money, and decided against the purchase :ph34r: .

That's my view on it.

Believe me, I get it.

Glad to see that someone besides me is paying attention. It seems that 99% of the country is goddamn clueless.

My worst fear here is that Obama will try so hard to postpone the inevitable systemic meltdown that it actually won't happen. Then we'll be left with a permanently stagnant economy, mind-numbing debt, and no important social changes. LET IT ALL CRASH, DAMMIT! :angry:

Fuck an "A!" You nailed it.

When capitalism is corrupted and people are NOT ALLOWED TO FAIL - the entire system fails.

I need to clarify one thing.....

You need to GET OUT of debt.

Don't go into the hole and start paying credit card interest for this stuff.

Put it on fucking layaway or something, but don't rack up credit card debt.

You need to turn your trash into cash and then use that cash on stuff that will RETAIN VALUE over the long haul.

Prices will fluctuate. The prices of the AK and the AR and the Saiga may go down if Obama doesn't ban them immediately. Fine, use that as another buying opportunity.

As long as you turn your trash into cash and then use that cash to either pay down existing debt or buy stuff that's about to be banned - you're good. You cannot go wrong by doing that.

Don't get me wrong; I'm paying off my credit card as soon as I get the bill... The wife would have fits if I were using 'our' income for my gun purchases. I have to use my side business cash to pay for my habit. :rolleyes: I don't mind, because it's all investment the way that I see it.

Honestly, I'm not worried about going into the hole anymore. If we're bailing everybody out and are ready to spend trillions, who's going to care about the few bills I don't pay. Of course it's not like that but I'm betting plenty of people out there are thinking like that. Why worry about debt now when the whole economy is going to tank in a couple years. Rush had a good exercise today. How long is a trillion in seconds.

If you counted the seconds it would take 31,000 YEARS to reach one trillion.

Hehehe,I am "going into the hole" but not just on guns.Filling 50gallon drums with fuel while our currency still has value,buying 2300lbs of grains and legumes and a thousand feet of bags for my vacuums sealer,reloading components/supplies,I'm about to run out of attic space for all of the toilet paper,soap,toothpaste,shampoo,bandaids,grain alcohol,cans of cigarette tobacco I am shoving up there,LOL

I only want a few more guns but I figure if I wait this out I will be able to trade for them once things get really stupid,LOL

I want a couple more Glock 17s,another Saiga 7.26,a couple of Ruger 10-22s,a Savage 110FP in 300WSM and an Uzi pistol and I will have my lifetime collection where I want it so $3200 would finish me off on my gun wish list and I think I will be getting a tax refund big enough to handle that but I won't pay these rapist prices for them and as huge companies lay off thousands of workers per day all over the country I am sure plenty of them will end up for sale vary shortly and I will be there cash in hand ready to buy ;)

Filling 50gallon drums with fuel while our currency still has value

Probably the smartest thing I've read all day. That's one investment you'll get your moneys worth out of right now. Someone actually proposed Bush use this time to overflow the US Fuel Reserves and in a year or two sell it off at a major profit. But alas we can't do that it actually makes sense.

Don't see how all these people keep talking about the economy turning around, after printing trillions in new bills and flooding them into the economy.... inflation anybody, c'mon. I'd be sitting here eating popcorn getting a huge laugh out of watching the news every day now. But it's not funny that people this stupid are killing this Country. Literally killing it, in every facet.

Edited by Wotan1105
Filling 50gallon drums with fuel while our currency still has value

Probably the smartest thing I've read all day. That's one investment you'll get your moneys worth out of right now. Someone actually proposed Bush use this time to overflow the US Fuel Reserves and in a year or two sell it off at a major profit. But alas we can't do that it actually makes sense.

Our currency is about to go "Peso" and a gallon of gas will be $10 not because of scarcity but because our money will be worthless so having 500 Gallons of gasoline with some Sta-Bil in it is an insurance plan but if big companies keep closing shop you won't be able to buy the gas even at $10 per gallon because there won't be any place left to sell it to you.

Hell a bar of soap will probably be worth $10 in another 4 years if we don't incarcerate these banker scum and take our country back.

Edited by SOPMOD