Best mags to buy?

I have my 19" Saiga on the way to my FFL.

I've been searching for what mags I should get all over.

I'm looking for some head to head lineup information. I've been over the AGP thread and it seem there customer service is great, so if I get a bummer, they'll take care of it...

What about Surefire and promag? I've read about issues with them as well.

I want to buy some 5 rounders... which ones?

I want to buy some 10 and/or 12 rounders as well... which ones?

I appreciate any info I can get, THANKS!

I have my 19" Saiga on the way to my FFL.

I've been searching for what mags I should get all over.

I'm looking for some head to head lineup information. I've been over the AGP thread and it seem there customer service is great, so if I get a bummer, they'll take care of it...

What about Surefire and promag? I've read about issues with them as well.

I want to buy some 5 rounders... which ones?

I want to buy some 10 and/or 12 rounders as well... which ones?

I appreciate any info I can get, THANKS!

Welcome, is this the Prometheus from GIM? If so welcome to the Saiga 12 club, if not also welcome to the club. :smoke:

The russian factory 5 rders are the only ones I like in 5 rds. AGPs are great, and I would take a Surefire over a Promag all day long, love the 2 Surefires I received today. They worked flawlessly once I got them fitted.

Also pick up a MD-Arms 20 round drum, this is what defines a Saiga 12 IMO.

Edited by gangsta99

I like the 2nd gen AGP 10 rnd and the russian 5 rnd and I'll let you know about the drum when it arrives.

But remember

I think this is correct from what I've read, I know it's posted all over, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

if you do nothing to your S-12 then the russian 5 mags are A-OK to have and use but only those 5 mags.

If you get a 10 rnd + mag/drum then you now need to comply with 922r. Adding one of these, a gas piston, fore grip, buttstock or muzzle attachment, will bring you into compliance but you can't use the 5 rnd russian anymore.

If you want to use the 10/12/13/20 rnd US mag and the russian 5 rndr whenever you want then you have to get as many parts that'll bring you down to 7 with USmag or 10 with russian mag.

14 fresh from box (threaded barrel), - 3 for 10 rnd US made mag (but now you must comply with 922r and be 10 or less) so you need, -1 US gaspiston and -3 US mag = 10 but use russian mag you're back to 13. So you'd need additional US muzzle attachment -1, US buttstock -1, US fore grip -1 to go back to 10. This way with US 10 rnd mag you are at 7count and with russian mag you are at 10count, good to go.

There are other combinations of parts but I think these are the cheapest and easiest to do.

Edited by jacknast76
Welcome, is this the Prometheus from GIM? If so welcome to the Saiga 12 club, if not also welcome to the club. :smoke:

The one and only! :ph34r:

The russian factory 5 rders are the only ones I like in 5 rds. AGPs are great, and I would take a Surefire over a Promag all day long, love the 2 Surefires I received today. They worked flawlessly once I got them fitted.

Also pick up a MD-Arms 20 round drum, this is what defines a Saiga 12 IMO.

Thanks for the advice, since the AGP's and surefires seem to be so close in price (5 buck difference here) I'll probably just get AGP's then. I don't like promags in other magazines , although I do have a 20 round XD9 mag that works fine.

just remember

I think this is correct from what I've read, I know it's posted all over, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

if you do nothing to your S-12 then the russian 5 mags are A-OK to have and use but only those 5 mags.

If you get a 10 rnd + mag/drum then you need now need to comply with 922r. Adding a gas piston, fore grip, buttstock or muzzle attachment will bring you into compliance but you can't use the 5 rnd russian anymore.

If you want to use the 10/12/13/20 rnd US mag and the russian 5 rndr whenever you want then you have to get as many parts that'll bring you down to 7 with USmag or 10 with russian mag.

14 fresh from box (threaded barrel), - 3 for 10 rnd US made mag (but now you must comply with 922r and be 10 or less) so you need, -1 US gaspiston and -3 US mag = 10 but use russian mag you're back to 13. So you'd need additional US muzzle attachment -1, US buttstock -1, US fore grip -1 to go back to 10. This way with US 10 rnd mag you are at 7count and with russian mag you are at 10count, good to go.

There are other combinations of parts but I think these are the cheapest and easiest to do.

Where is the dizzy icon? lol.

I am familiar with 922r, going to have to look into the stock sets first as thats the quickest way to get below 10 and still use hicaps. I can sit on the 5 rounders until I get around to swapping out the gas piston or whatever.

Thanks for bringing that up, since I was ordering US made mags, I'd completely forgotten about that, lol. Going to get my stock and foregrip inbound ASAP, a muzzle attachment as well. tks

:wacko: LOL I got dizzy writing that.

Had I never came to this board I would have never been in compliance. Oh well, atleast the money is going back into the USA. Yes the gas "puck" is the cheapest and quickest way to get into complaince. I also wouldn't have gotten into my S-12 this much, it's kind of fun. Hopefully you'll be able to get an MD20.

I never intended on becoming a 2nd amendment touting, gun law quoting, gun toteing nerd, I just wanted a cool shotgun. Thanks 922r and Saiga 12 forum and RAAC.

I don't have a vested interest in promoting Promags... As a matter of fact maybe I should just say they are crap so nobody would buy them, and then those of us who 'know' will be able to continue to get them for $30.

I have never bought a Promag for anything but my Saiga 12, so I did not have a negative bias going in. I bought one to 'test'. I was skeptical due to the cost being HALF of the competition.

I had a single minor, and easily fixable, issue with the follower. NO other issues. I own 10+ AGP mags. I have not even shot them all, but I have had two that broke on the first shot. This is not an attack on AGP mags, just illustrating that any/all mags could have issues.

The construction of the Promag is MUCH beefier than either AGP or surefire and the Promag is SPECIFICALLY designed to be cut down to a 5-round capacity if desired.

Myself and another member here on this forum have shot nearly 1000 rounds of various ammo using Promag magazines without ANY issues. My opinion is based on FACTS and TESTING not hearsay.

Go ahead and spend double the money on the other manufactures mags...

The $30.00 range Pro Mags ain't happening anywhere I've looked either.

I've had excellent results with my AGP mags. The mags work great no problems.

I have also tried Surefire mags with no problems. It might be me, but I think the Surefire mags cycle just a bit faster than AGP mags in my S-12.

Can't go wrong with AGP or Surefire mags IMHO.

I don't think Promags are available for $30 anywhere in stock. Everyplace people report them to be for $30 they end up being $50. I would definitely buy a few at $30 but for $50 it's AGP all the way.
I don't think Promags are available for $30 anywhere in stock. Everyplace people report them to be for $30 they end up being $50. I would definitely buy a few at $30 but for $50 it's AGP all the way.

Pro-mags can still be purchased at $30. Even if they are back ordered at $30, it is still a better buy than a back ordered $50 mag. I have to agree with JeffD. I don't have a vested interest either in talking up or down any magazine due to the fact that I don't sell magazines or any other saiga parts for that matter. I was stating in a related post, I have 6 of the Pro-mags, and all of them are rock solid and perform very well. I have performed a number of tests on them and am quite happy. Actually, I wonder, how many of you out there is this community, who are jumping on the pro-mags suck bandwagon, actually own one or more and have actually used them? I am not attempting to start shit, nor do I really care if anyone else uses the pro-mags or not, I was only stating that at $30, the pro-mag is a solid magazine. Every magazine, I mean every different manufacturers type, including the MD20, sorry Mike, has had problems that had to be looked at and corrected. Still to this day AGP's snap on the first shot fired out of the saiga. Does that mean all AGP's are a piece of shit? No it does not. Surefire mags have had their share of user complaints and problems as well. If I were selling surefire and AGP mags to the public, I would want to steer my customers away from a product that has half the cost of mine. Its business folks. If there is anyone out there who honestly believes that the pro-mags are complete shit, then I recommend that you do not buy them. Only purchase what you will be happy with using in your set up. It is your gun, your money, your future investment. You and only you must be satisfied with what your end result is, no one else. I like pro-mags and will continue to purchase and use them. I would just like to see all of our saiga friends, happy and satisfied with their setups.

DT

I just bought two Promags for 68 shipped. Hopefully they work fine for me. But I won't know for a while since I don't have the saiga yet.

I just bought 3, Figured it was $33.33 delivered that way. Same boat as you since I won't have my Saiga till next week.

It's February in the midwest here, while this weekend will be in the 40's (if youc an believe that) the saiga is in the mail. Following weekend will probably be 10 degrees, so who knows when I'll be able to get out and shoot it, lol.

Probably going to order a pair of surefires and AGP's from saiga-12.com since they are on sale.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have a vested interest in promoting Promags... As a matter of fact maybe I should just say they are crap so nobody would buy them, and then those of us who 'know' will be able to continue to get them for $30.

I have never bought a Promag for anything but my Saiga 12, so I did not have a negative bias going in. I bought one to 'test'. I was skeptical due to the cost being HALF of the competition.

I had a single minor, and easily fixable, issue with the follower. NO other issues. I own 10+ AGP mags. I have not even shot them all, but I have had two that broke on the first shot. This is not an attack on AGP mags, just illustrating that any/all mags could have issues.

The construction of the Promag is MUCH beefier than either AGP or surefire and the Promag is SPECIFICALLY designed to be cut down to a 5-round capacity if desired.

Myself and another member here on this forum have shot nearly 1000 rounds of various ammo using Promag magazines without ANY issues. My opinion is based on FACTS and TESTING not hearsay.

Go ahead and spend double the money on the other manufactures mags...

Your promag follower fix is nothing short of genious. Have you been able to fire 3in magnum shells out of them and if not what was your fix?

The online places seem to be gouging for all they can get. I bought a couple this weekend for $35 each at a shop here in Missouri.

The online places seem to be gouging for all they can get. I bought a couple this weekend for $35 each at a shop here in Missouri.

The market is beginning to slow down, it is a slow economy and most people bought what they needed before the Obamaination, or slightly afterward. If there is serious anti-gun legislation, but this market is not sustainable with out some stimulus.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two AGP's, two ProMags, one Surefire 12, three Taiwan 5's, and two factory 5's. All my aftermarket mags have required some fitting, but not really much. All my mags have been 100% reliable.

Personally, I like the ProMags the best. They do seem beefier and they are the best looking of the bunch.

AGP's come in second for looks.

My Surefire, although it has been reliable, seems the lightest duty. It does have the interesting feature of being able to be cut down to several different capacities. It also lacks the steel feed lips found on ALL the other mags. And it's the least good looking.

The Taiwan 5's are nice because they are cheap. And still manage to have steel feed lips.

I've got two AGP's, two ProMags, one Surefire 12, three Taiwan 5's, and two factory 5's. All my aftermarket mags have required some fitting, but not really much. All my mags have been 100% reliable.

Personally, I like the ProMags the best. They do seem beefier and they are the best looking of the bunch.

AGP's come in second for looks.

My Surefire, although it has been reliable, seems the lightest duty. It does have the interesting feature of being able to be cut down to several different capacities. It also lacks the steel feed lips found on ALL the other mags. And it's the least good looking.

The Taiwan 5's are nice because they are cheap. And still manage to have steel feed lips.

I actually like the fact that the surefire does not have steel lips. I don't see any advantage in steel plus the surefire shells move more smoothly from the plastic lips than the steel lips that tend to scratch the rim. I just think that surefire needs slightly stronger springs to overcome the friction of 12x 3in shells, then they would be perfect. I also have 10x promags and love the way they look and spring tension, but they don't feel as smooth as the surefire. I have fired 12rd mags with magnum loads and none have broke. I believe that a stove pile that would break a surefire will break any plastic mag which happens to be all of them. For me the verdict is still out on which one is the best.

Most of my experience has been with the Surefire mags. I've fired upwards of 200 rounds through a 12 rounder and an 8 rounder (with temperatures in the teens) and I like them. Carolina Shooters Supply has a video of me shooting them here. As it says in the video, the 12 rounder was shooting 1 oz slugs and the 8 rounder had #4 buck.

I'm thinking of cutting my 12 rounder down to an 8 shot though. The 12 rounder is just so darn long. :rolleyes: Plus, if you don't cut the springs down, you get a stronger push on the follower. Not sure if that's good or bad yet though.

I've got a clear AGP mag coming, but I'm not sure if I'll shoot it much or just pack it away as an investment, since they don't make them anymore.

Speaking of AGPs, I've talked with (and shot with) folks that have put 100s and 100s of rounds through their AGPs with no problem. I had tried one of Juggernaut's brand new AGPs and it broke the front tab off on the first shot. I felt really bad, but he said not to worry about it since they're covered under warranty, as I guess most S-12 mags are now.

I've got an MD-20 drum coming soon, so I suspect that will be my new favorite. I really need to start reloading ammo. LOL

Corbin

just remember

If you get a 10 rnd + mag/drum then you need now need to comply with 922r. Adding a gas piston, fore grip, buttstock or muzzle attachment will bring you into compliance but you can't use the 5 rnd russian anymore.

Where is the dizzy icon? lol.

I am familiar with 922r, going to have to look into the stock sets first as thats the quickest way to get below 10 and still use hicaps. I can sit on the 5 rounders until I get around to swapping out the gas piston or whatever.

Thanks for bringing that up, since I was ordering US made mags, I'd completely forgotten about that, lol. Going to get my stock and foregrip inbound ASAP, a muzzle attachment as well. tks

ADDING a muzzle attachment doesn't subtract any foreign parts to get you 922r compliant, it can only hurt you if you add another foreign part. You need to replace parts that are already on the gun...unless you guys are counting the thread protector which would be a first.

AGP's have metal reinforcements; but Surefires do not?

Surefires come in 8 round capacity, which is nice...anyone try the 8 rounders yet?

Yep............

Tried out a Surefire 8-rounder about a week ago.........Ran about 100 rounds of 00 buck & #7 game loads through it, and it performed like a champ !! Ran as well as my Factory 8-rounders !!

I picked it up from Greg at CSS......who is about $5 cheaper for them than anyone else, and one of our excellent Forum vendors, as well !!!!

I intend to buy several more of the Surefire 8's !!! Can't have too many mags !!!