Bersa - Worst firearm I've ever touched

It looked like a well made firearm. The fit and finish were quite reasonable, and the trigger felt decent.

I should have known better.

20-25% failures to fire right out of the box and this continued for 100 rounds of various factory loads while I tried a "break in". I took it home and flushed out the firing pin channel with a spray solvent and was rewarded with a ton of metal shavings.

Obviously this requires a trip to the warranty service center. So I took it back to the local gun shop who shipped it to Colorado Gun Works, a factory certified service center.

It came back worse than it left with the magazine release flopping around and unable to lock in the magazine.

How in the world you can repair a failure to fire with a defective magazine lock is beyond me, but somehow they determined it was "good to go" and shipped it back unable to even hold the mag in. It fell out of the pistol when we removed it from the box.

I thought it was a possibility for my petite wife to carry. I discovered that it's utter garbage and the warranty service is a joke.

Most of you already know, but for those who don't, Bersa is trash...avoid at all costs.

A costly lesson for me. I won't sell it because I an not that dishonest and I won't risk someone elses life on a POS. I'm thinking a trip to the band saw and toss the pieces in the garbage can.

This has been a public service announcement. :ded:

I have a factory "massaged" (by the "best'" factory recomended smith Colorado Gun Works) Bersa Thunder .380 DLX that I'll let go for my purchase price...no charge for the 'custom' smithing.

It won't fire a quarter of the time and you can't lock the magazine in after Colorado Gun Works broke it, but hell, for $295 it's yours. It IS a new pistol except for the 100 round of "recommended break in". SO you won't need to break it in. ;)

Absolute worst piece ot trash I've ever fired...and I've shot some worn out ex-armory garbage in my life.

Do NOT buy a Bersa. You'd be better off carrying a sharp stick.

Don't waste your money. I had one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Lots of good .380s on the market. Pay a little more and get a pistol you can count on!

Sound advice. I carry Glocks and Colts. This was to be a small pistol for my wife to carry, but it's complete trash. I love her too much to risk her life with such unreliable garbage.

Thanks for you comments,

Steve

OK, is it just me or does it seem kinda funny that 2 of the negative posts mention Colorado Gun Works? Could that be part of the problem?

Every time we go to Jim's, I look at the handguns and the Bersa's are the ones that feel most comfortable in my hand. Maybe I should start a poll. Buy it, it's a good gun. Buy it, it's OK if that's what you like. It's OK if that's all you can afford or Buy it if you want to die! :eek:

Racegal, for another $100 you can buy a used/recertified Glock that will fire every time and never fail you. My new Bersa failed to fire 20-25% of the time, new out of the box. Do NOT bet your life on a Bersa. You are worth more than that. Read every Glock review you can find, or a S&W M&P, or any other first tier manufacturer.

A small pistol has only one use, to defend your life...don't ever trust a Bersa to do that, you may not get a second chance.

The gun store I worked at for a short while stocked a lot of Bersas, Kel Tecs, and a lot of Charter Arms revolvers. I took that as a hint and put them in the same class in my mind.

One day I'll get a PPK, the first centerfire I ever fired. The first gun I ever fired in competition too. It was good enough. At least it didn't Glock out on me.

Racegal, for another $100 you can buy a used/recertified Glock that will fire every time and never fail you. My new Bersa failed to fire 20-25% of the time, new out of the box. Do NOT bet your life on a Bersa. You are worth more than that. Read every Glock review you can find, or a S&W M&P, or any other first tier manufacturer.

A small pistol has only one use, to defend your life...don't ever trust a Bersa to do that, you may not get a second chance.

I don't have the money right now to get a Bersa let alone $100 more but with all the guns in this house, I'm not overly concerned at the moment. If needs be, I could use Cobra's Glock. But it's not really all that comfortable in my hand. I have small hands and a gun that size seems a little much to control for me in an emergency situation. I'll take my time. Whatever gun I get I will be sure to be comfortable with.

OK, is it just me or does it seem kinda funny that 2 of the negative posts mention Colorado Gun Works? Could that be part of the problem?

Every time we go to Jim's, I look at the handguns and the Bersa's are the ones that feel most comfortable in my hand. Maybe I should start a poll. Buy it, it's a good gun. Buy it, it's OK if that's what you like. It's OK if that's all you can afford or Buy it if you want to die! :eek:

Racegal someones selling one in the for sale section right now. No its not me.

Nope. Not if it's the one Cobra told me about and I looked at. It said 'sold pending funds'. Like I said, I can't afford one now. Ex lost his job so I'm not getting child support at the moment and funds are tight. But I like the idea of having some more time to think about what I want. I still like the Bersa but I think now I may want to take it out and run a few rounds through it before I buy.

Last I looked it was still for sale.

That low life started paying support finally?

I've been paying for 7 years now without any complaints. Filing for custody, finally, for him from the bitch that never has a job. She got kicked out of 2 apartments in 4 months time and had to move 1 1/2 hours away to her parents house. I used to see him at least 2 to 3 times per week and at least (min) every other weekend. Theirs a big hole in my heart I miss him.

Last I looked it was still for sale.

That low life started paying support finally?

I've been paying for 7 years now without any complaints. Filing for custody, finally, for him from the bitch that never has a job. She got kicked out of 2 apartments in 4 months time and had to move 1 1/2 hours away to her parents house. I used to see him at least 2 to 3 times per week and at least (min) every other weekend. Theirs a big hole in my heart I miss him.

Yeah, he paid for a whole year. What kills me is he thinks if he's unemployed, he can pay me whatever he thinks he can afford. What he said he's going to send me is in direct proportion from what he was making and what he was paying to what he's making now. UE. But that makes money tight. I'm still raising my last food compactor! This boy eats 4 sandwiches as a 'snack'!!! That gives me time to wait. What will happen is I will actually have a few bucks set aside then there my gun will be, been waiting on me. Yeah, I know. I'm a dreamer. :haha:

You need stick it to him for all the years of back support. Don't feel ashamed it is his duty to help support the life that he started. At least (I think) he hasn't been around to much to mess up all of your sons if that is what he thinks.

But I like the idea of having some more time to think about what I want.

I am really interested in getting a hold of one of these Micro Eagles in .380 to see how they feel in the hand. I hear good things about them.

I am really interested in getting a hold of one of these Micro Eagles in .380 to see how they feel in the hand. I hear good things about them.

Have to see that one up close and personal. Grip seems like it might be a bit too big. I know this much. I'm not buying a gun that I can't at least hold to see how it fits me.

You need stick it to him for all the years of back support. Don't feel ashamed it is his duty to help support the life that he started. At least (I think) he hasn't been around to much to mess up all of your sons if that is what he thinks.

There's only one year he didn't pay. My best bet is to have whatever he owes me added to the end.

At my initial CCW class a lady had a Bersa thunder that she was going to carry in a purse. The slide broke (yes BROKE, as in piece broke off) after a couple hundred rounds. Most pocket guns do not hold up to repeated use. I would just get a small 9mm like a G26 or xd9 sub instead and put 10,000+ trouble free round through them. If you realy need something small, the Karr will hold up better than the Bersa, but again, Karrs have been known to fail with heavy use too.

Well, in the interest of fairness, I'd like to say that it is possible that Michael T, the administrator at Bersa Talk may try to intervene and get this situation resolved. I am awaiting his reply to see if his offer still applies. But it is something positive out of a completely negative situation.

The Bersa .380's aren't meant to be range pistols that can be fired thousands of rounds like the Glocks, etc. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you!!!

The Bersa's I've ran across tend to be reliable accurate little guns, it's the slide bite I can't handle with them.

Hopefully, when mine comes back from repair for the second time, it will fire more than 5 rounds without a malf. It's never done that before.

But hey, I'm hopeful. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Micro Eagle, the local shooting range somehow got ahold of one, and I got to check it out before it flew out the door. Very comfortable, very nice fit and finish, very high price tag. They were asking $540, if I recall correctly. From what I could tell just looking at it, it was a full steel frame, steel slide with a nice titanium finish. Felt great in my hand, just couldn't justify the pricetag to myself. If anyone gets ahold of one, a range report would not be amiss.

Shame to hear about your Bersa. Sounds like it's an exception, rather than the rule. The one I've had a chance to fire was, as one would expect, pretty inaccurate, but it was perfectly reliabe; no malfunctions in 100 rounds. Have you contacted Bersa to see if they will try again to make things right? Is it possible that the weapon was damaged in transit? Hope they will do what they can to make things right for you.

• 1 month later...
I have a factory "massaged" (by the "best'" factory recomended smith Colorado Gun Works) Bersa Thunder .380 DLX that I'll let go for my purchase price...no charge for the 'custom' smithing.

It won't fire a quarter of the time and you can't lock the magazine in after Colorado Gun Works broke it, but hell, for $295 it's yours. It IS a new pistol except for the 100 round of "recommended break in". SO you won't need to break it in. ;)

Absolute worst piece ot trash I've ever fired...and I've shot some worn out ex-armory garbage in my life.

Do NOT buy a Bersa. You'd be better off carrying a sharp stick.

I bought a Bersa Thunder CC in .380acp, and I am glad that I did. I can shoot sub 4" groups at 10 yards and never had any type of malfunction. I was sceptical at first because Bersa isn't well known in the USA, but I spend $310 and would say its my best conceal carry pistol that I own, my other being a S&W 5 round .38 special.

I wonder if the ones coming out from Colorado Gun Works are remanufactured and that is to blame because mine is imported from R.S.A in New Jersey. There are now 3 Bersa Thunder cc .380 in the family, and they all work flawlessly.

I am sorry for your experience, but you can usually salvage half of what you paid by going to Gander Mountain and letting them buy your P.O.S.

The Bersa .380's aren't meant to be range pistols that can be fired thousands of rounds like the Glocks, etc. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you!!!

The Bersa's I've ran across tend to be reliable accurate little guns, it's the slide bite I can't handle with them.

Hopefully, when mine comes back from repair for the second time, it will fire more than 5 rounds without a malf. It's never done that before.

But hey, I'm hopeful. :)

This may help with your malfunctions, try CCI Blazer Brass they are loaded a bit hot. My Bersa loves them the best, even though it never malfunction on any kind of ammo.