IMO

You want cheap and reliable service pistol - get a ruger P95

You want a higher end service sized gun - get a sig 229 or 226

You want a reliable 9mm compact - get a glock 19

You want a hi cap 45 - get an XD

You want an everyday easy to use carry sized gun - get a rossi 357 mag 6 round snub

You want to tromp through bear country on a regular basis - get a S&W mountain gun in 44mag

You want to look like Austin Powers - get a KT P3AT

You want to compensate for size issues effecting other parts of your life - get a desert eagle 50

Again just my opinion based on years of fiddling, ownership, and observation.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so i've been contemplating picking up a glock lately and was wondering if anyone here had any helpful input they would like to share. i've had my eyes on a 17 but dont really know much about all the v

outstanding info DesertDog! thx much for such a clear right up. i totally agree with the points you presented about the simplicity of glocks. your time is much appreciated.   on another note i saw

thx to all the info this thread has gotten, good or bad. exactly what i'm looking to hear.

Posted Images

IMO

You want cheap and reliable service pistol - get a ruger P95

You want a higher end service sized gun - get a sig 229 or 226

You want a reliable 9mm compact - get a glock 19

You want a hi cap 45 - get an XD

You want an everyday easy to use carry sized gun - get a rossi 357 mag 6 round snub

You want to tromp through bear country on a regular basis - get a S&W mountain gun in 44mag

You want to look like Austin Powers - get a KT P3AT

You want to compensate for size issues effecting other parts of your lifeYou know little about guns but a lot about videogames - get a desert eagle 50

Again just my opinion based on years of fiddling, ownership, and observation.

LOVE my Glock! I have a Glock 357 SIG with a 40 S&W barrel and its awesome. You really cant beat a Glock for the price. The gun has PROVEN reliability and will function in damn near any environment, watch the Glock torture tests on youtube. People bitch about the boxiness and general "ugliness" of the Glock but if that is seriously what you care the most about you dont need to be buying guns, you need to be in the antique market. That said I LOVE LOVE LOVE SIG SAUERs more, but it also comes with a much higher price tag, not to mention all the accessories and magazines are twice as much. So if you want a great gun that wont set you too far back in the pocket and will last you as long as you live with very little problems that is accurate and has tons and tons of cheaper accessories than DO NOT hesitate to buy a GLOCK! There is definitely a reason nearly every law enforcement agency in the US carries them.

Plus, Glock's advanced manufacturing techniques allow them to identify the duds as they arrive in the shipping department. These defective guns are then routed to Connecticut where they are sold to Twinsen's friends, acquaintances, acquaintances of his friends and friends of his acquaintances. By doing this, Glock accomplishes three things;

1) They keep all the duds corralled in one area, which assures Glock buyers in any other part of the world that the gun they buy will function perfectly

2) They keep factory scrap and rework levels low which is, in turn, reflected in the price

3) They lull to sleep their U.S. competitors in the Connecticut Valley. As a result of all these dud Glocks appearing in their neighborhood; Ruger and S&W both firmly believe that Glocks "ain't nothin' special" and make little effort to improve their products.

An effective if diabolical plan.

Sorry Twinsen, I couldn't resist :devil:

Edited by 555JM

The polymer used to create the Glock frame is significantly weaker than steel. That's why it is reinforced with steel. That's why the frames break where they aren't reinforced. Nobody has made a polymer that is stronger than steel, fuck that noise. I get that you said it as a joke. However, in the last 20 years, we've found that for most use, the polymer is good enough. They should probably put in more steel though.

Also Springfield Armory Inc. is NOT "The Springfield Armory", they just used the name to sell their M-1A's to people that don't check up on that stuff and think they are getting a milspec rifle. They aren't. They opened in 1974. That's 35 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory,_Inc.

And again, yeah, I really have seen them all jam like nutsassballs. But I do like hearing gun guys talk like car guys. I sold my Viper because I was tired of being slow, I bought this Civic. I put a new bumper cover on it and won a NASCAR race and a Formula 1 race in the same day. Yeah, I do reverse wheelies all day.

yeah im well aware, i just reposted something i saw on a forum, that was intended to be amusing, as well as point out that most glock owners think they have something special, and not just another tupperware pistol. Also, has anyone seen the newest glock, its super rough on the hands, (worse than grip tape) and has fish gill curved cocking serrations. I guess thats why they call it "Glock Perfection" right? they cant improve it without making it look even worse.

I would like to note, however, than i cant think of a popular handgun that doesnt have a torture test done for it. The glock 1000 round test is nothing, especially if it jams.

This is one of the cheaper, economy plain jane production version of a nearly 100 year old gun on the market today, right out of the box:

Then, it was done again with an even cheaper, poorer fit version of the same gun. (seriously, its still a 1911, but the tolerances are not made in the same planet as most 1911s, ive worked on a couple, one took a BFhammer to break down)

But of course, the space age plastic in a glock makes it much more reliable, right? or, it melts, one of the two. ;)

and last but not least, the XD was pretty impressive with its 20,000 round test, as well.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Edited by ReverendFranz

Hold on, I'm 2 minutes in and I already see a table covered with magazines full of JHP ammo that 1911's "can't" cycle with. Mine never heard that either, nobody tell it.

Hey I found a Glock one on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI...feature=related Don't worry, you don't even have to watch a full minute of shooting before it fails the test. I mean uh uh uh uh uh uh uh I think my mom is calling me, gotta go! Limpwrist!

Edited by Twinsen

I'll just be another datapoint here. I'm a Sig fan, always have been and always will be. But I like the Glock 17 a lot actually.

My carry gun is a Sig 220 Compact. I like how slim they are compared with Glocks, which I find to be bulky. That said there are some definite advantages to being able to accept ginormous capacity mags. I don't really know why you would cary 33 round mags, but the ridiculousness of it is attractive to me. If I were in a prolonged firefight and could afford the space on my chest rig to devote to three or four 33 rounders, I'd do it and carry a Glock 17.

Glocks in general I find point well, but something about the action is disconcerting to me. I think it's the way the slides sqweek when you rack them. I also don't like external safe levers of ANY kind, one of the main reasons I absolutely REFUSE to pick up a Springfield XD or even a 1911 (Para's excluded... I just love the whole "14 rounds of .45 ACP" thing...), yes I blaspheme I know. My Sigs don't have safeties and I've never shot myself, nor have millions of officers who carry Sigs everyday. Glocks are marketed as "safe action" pistols and have their stupid trigger safety that just annoys me. I'm also not a fan of the trigger pull, tho it's better than some.

I like how they point and I find the sights generally excellent. Glocks seem to have a lot of recoil when compared with other pistols in the same calibers tho; that might be due to the low weight of the gun. I own a 92Fs for example and it recoils much less than a Glock 17, making followup shots much easier. That said, I don't think anyone would have trouble shooting the Glock 17 with double taps. It's a fairly brainless gun to shoot and generally the rounds go where you put them.

So my opinion on Glocks is fairly neutral. Accurate, yes. Light, yes. Cheap, kinda. Concealable... the subcompacts yeah. I don't feel a strong urge to pick one up tho... I think the Sig 226 is at least as good and you get what you pay for...

Any safety thats can be turned on, can be turned off, I know plenty of competitors who have pinned grip safetys, or carry with the thumb safety on a 1911 in the off position. (in a holster, of course, like a glock should always be.) Id rather train to use a safety without thinking, but if i cant do that, id much rather have a safety that i have the option of not using instead of having no option to make the gun safe. Ive seen the aftermarket pin safety for a glock, and that has to be, by far, the worst idea ive ever seen, putting a safety on the trigger itself.

Im guessing you carry your sig decocked right? Thats a big difference between no safety on a glock and no safety on a sig. The Sig is a fine gun, i looked at one for a while before i bought my Beretta.

Also, ginormous mags are definately a boon, which is why i have a couple 20 round (steel) magazines with 4 round extensions for my .45acp Springfield 1911. They will also fit my 3in barreled para, but that just looks silly. :smoke: