What to do when your gunsmith won't call you back?

I know this forum has beat the subject of "When am I gonna get my shit?" to death many times over, but I've got a legitimate question here:

If I send a gun in for warranty-covered repair work, and the guy tells me he's gonna look at it this weekend (which was one month ago), how long should I reasonably have to wait before I start getting impatient?

I gave the company 3+ weeks of silence to fix my gun. Three days ago, I started calling and e-mailing, asking what was going on and why I haven't heard anything back. I can't get a single email or phone call answered.

What's the best way to approach this problem, without becoming overbearing to the gunsmith?

Advice from seasoned business members would be expecially appreciated.

p.s. This problem involves no member of this forum, and the gunsmith is a privately-run operation with relatively few employees.

Thanks in advance!

hmm, interesting....if they folded, your fucked, but thats just me thinking of the worst of course ;) i'd get a cert. letter sent over to know if anyone is there to receive it, then start playing hardball....2 or 3 months go by with no reply, i'd get a lawyer friend to type up a semi threatening letter like "Please comply before further legal action is necessary"

what gun did you send?

It was an AK kit build, by a reputable company, but I don't want to say their name yet, in the event that there is a miscommunication or other legitimate reason for the delay. If I learn that the delay is for no good reason, I'll be sharing the company name at that time.

Have your attorney send a certified letter explaining that his client (you) has mandated him to inquire about the status of his work order because he (you) has not received response to his phone calls and emails.

Have him state that his client (you) is looking to resolve this matter quickly but asked him (your attorney) to prepare for legal and civil action if needed.

Well... You get the picture... Best course of action is to leave a door open but involve an attorney and file a suit with D.A. as soon as possible if it smell fishy.

Another recourse is to file a claim with his local BBB and chamber of commerce.

a kit build, well that excludes my company.

I do apologize for the bullshit. I dont think any of the business members here like hearing about this, let alone a warranty service company.

-Ben Vamp.

I am presently in a similar situation. An out of town gunsmith assembeld and finished a polish underfolder of mine.

Front rivets were terrible so I sent it back. I was initialy told no more then a week so. it has been 4 + weeks now. I have emailed a couple of times with each reply was some reason why it was not presently done.

I ended up giving him a specific date to have it back to me. No threats or anything.

But if I do not have it on my date indicated, I am going to the attorney general in his state as well as a possible call to the his. local BATF.

Just some things that have occured have caused some red flags for me.

I would think a firearm not being returned would raise some red flags with those 2 agencies.

How many of you remember what happened with Gary from Solstice Arms. That is not going to happen to me. One needs to take control of the situation before you become a victim.

Edited by red_cedar
a kit build, well that excludes my company.

I do apologize for the bullshit. I dont think any of the business members here like hearing about this, let alone a warranty service company.

-Ben Vamp.

Don't worry Ben, you and Tom at CGW have been great so far. You've given me a fair build-time estimate on my S-308, and I'm patiently anxious for it's completion. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

I am a new SAIGA 12 owner and have been hopeful to find a Gunsmith that would do my conversion for 3 gun. I have been waiting for a gunsmith to do some work for me but he told me up front 2 months before he could get to it.

Did your problem get resolved? I don't know how to find a gunsmith in Northern Illinois that would do my Saiga 12 conversion. I know some guys that think they can do it but are not gunsmiths nor have they worked on the S12, but thinking and doing are 2 differnt things.

Just curious, did this get resolved?

Hell FIre Times are Tuff!

Sent my Arsenal Krinkov to Las Vegas just over 2 months ago and it was supposed to be on the bench just this past Wed.I got the answering machine during business hours about 5 times but no biggy because I eventually got ahold of them and made my specific intentions known to them in advance of them sending it back to me without fully addressing my problem.

2 months seems like a long time to wait for a replacement front sight base but it seems to be about standard these days

Start a log the instant you have problems with a merchant/vendor ect. log all attempts at communication. Use registered mail as your last attempt. If that fails have your lawyer contact him and give a short but reasonable time to receive communication, state that at the end of this time period the firearm will be reported as stolen, and any and all legal action will be pursued. Busy is busy, and those who pester the hell out of a businessman contribute to the communication problem, but after several unsuccessful attempts at communication (give them a reasonable time to respond) you must consider the chance of deliberate fraud.

One of my favorite phrases to use with people like this is "Your cavalier attitude in this matter has long passed the question of competence, and I can only assume it is in reality criminal conspiracy".