Half Baked Idea: Making AGP Mags "Drop Resistant"

AGP mags are a bit fragile when dropped (especially when fully loaded), and at 45-50 bucks a pop, you can't afford to drop too many before your wallet gets thinner. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQzvptfy1M8

I'm thinking if you can coat a cinderblock with it and drop it from a 2 story building without it breaking...maybe if you sprayed a nice thick coat on the AGP mags (taping off the top, so as not to interfere with normal insertion), that you would have one tough mag. It would make disassembly all but impossible...but would it make them nearly indestructable?!?

Thoughts?

:haha:

Where do they break? If it's at the bottom, a .308 Magpul would probably fix that pretty quick and easy (sold in 3 packs).

Oddly enough, I had one "explode" (2 halves, spring went downrange with follower), but I just screwed it back together and all was good. The magpul is a good idea though. Thanks man!

That block wall that collapsed was just hollow and stacked block. If it had rebar and concrete in it, it wouldn't have budged. On the drop test, the spray-on truck bed liner keeps the block from breaking the same way that the skin of paper on drywall makes it strong, even though most of the board is made out of brittle gypsum.

On the mags, the Magpul is a good idea, or you can wrap the whole thing with rubber tape. Not the shiny PVC electrical tape, but the thicker and stretchier rubber tape. Or spray it with truck bed liner, I guess.

Where do they break? If it's at the bottom, a .308 Magpul would probably fix that pretty quick and easy (sold in 3 packs).

Yep, that is the way to do it. I have been trying to get my hands on some for a while, The .223 models are much more common.

Yep, that is the way to do it. I have been trying to get my hands on some for a while, The .223 models are much more common.

I have a bunch .308 magpuls and I think they are too small for AGP mags especially with the way they flair at the ends. They just barely fit on an M14 mag. Have people got .308 Magpuls to fit? I bet you would need to soften them pretty good with a heat gun.

Edited by lipadj46

Now here is another half baked idea - make a "form" using a mag coated with cooking spray as a "release agent", and use this stuff to make your own version of a Magpul (without the loop).

http://www.dipmolding.com/pages/dipmoldingapps.html

Same stuff used to coat tools!

:devil:

Now here is another half baked idea - make a "form" using a mag coated with cooking spray as a "release agent", and use this stuff to make your own version of a Magpul (without the loop).

http://www.dipmolding.com/pages/dipmoldingapps.html

Same stuff used to coat tools!

:devil:

personally I have been cutting 3/8 " inch thick truck mud flaps up and glueing bumpers to the floor plates of my AGP mags then bevelling the edges at 45 degrees, and using a 1/2" diameter conduit section ground to a sharp edge , cutting /punching a hole to allow access to the floorplate retaining plunger(before attachment to the floor plates of course, but the bed liner is intriging ... wally world sells it in spray cans...hhhmmm? :devil:
...I have a bunch .308 magpuls and I think they are too small for AGP mags especially with the way they flair at the ends. They just barely fit on an M14 mag. Have people got .308 Magpuls to fit? I bet you would need to soften them pretty good with a heat gun.

Well admittedly I have not done it, but I have seen pictures of it done. Are you saying for sure that they won't fit?

...I have a bunch .308 magpuls and I think they are too small for AGP mags especially with the way they flair at the ends. They just barely fit on an M14 mag. Have people got .308 Magpuls to fit? I bet you would need to soften them pretty good with a heat gun.

Well admittedly I have not done it, but I have seen pictures of it done. Are you saying for sure that they won't fit?

they fit it just takes a few minutes to heat and stretch them a little bit to fit over the flared edge. once theyre on they take alot to come off. i used a mini blow torch i had

No it just seems like you would need to melt and stretch them pretty good with a heat gun or torch as the poster above has confirmed. I may try to put one on this week if I get bored.

Edited by lipadj46
Plasti-Dip anyone?

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Get Crazy!!!

That's what I was talking about in my post! Cover the mag with cooking spray and it will act as a release agent to prevent it from sticking, and be removable. I have used this product to build-up the diameter, and give a non-slip coating to bolt handles on match rifles. The link I posted was to show how you can "dip mold" parts. But PlastiDip is the same kind of product that the other company offers.

Those look sweet... but that braided cable looks like it might be rough... will your coating cover that also and make it a little more grip friendly?

Do you have a price on these yet?

I assume you machined those out of alumninum?

Is the floorplate the main issue with the agp mags breaking?

The body themselves are pretty tough?

Braided cable is polished smooth as a babies behind

Yes 6061-511

Cable adds to cushining effect for the whole mag assembly

I am not a business member therefore I cannot sell on this forum

I'm just posting ideas I like for my guns

Those look sweet... but that braided cable looks like it might be rough... will your coating cover that also and make it a little more grip friendly?

Do you have a price on these yet?

I assume you machined those out of alumninum?

Is the floorplate the main issue with the agp mags breaking?

The body themselves are pretty tough?

For $50 a mag, AGP should be doing all of this for us.

They really do seem like plastic that will shatter if dropped compared to a Pmag.

Why wouldnt they use a stronger polymer? And just a single casing instead of two halves?

I think you are exaggerating a bit there. The AGP mags seem just as tough as the other mags. I could ask many questions about pmags like why do they make some of the most unreliable crap mags for many firearms for years without redesign.

For $50 a mag, AGP should be doing all of this for us.

They really do seem like plastic that will shatter if dropped compared to a Pmag.

Why wouldnt they use a stronger polymer? And just a single casing instead of two halves?

I think you are exaggerating a bit there. The AGP mags seem just as tough as the other mags. I could ask many questions about pmags like why do they make some of the most unreliable crap mags for many firearms for years without redesign.

when you say AGP & "other mags" are you comparing them to Pmags? Or the other Saiga 12 mags like the surefires etc?

Why do you feel that Pmags are unreliable?

I'm new to them, so even though I'm a bit biased to them, I'd like to hear all thoughts and angles on them.