Has anyone but me noticed the influx of newbies to quite a few of the gun forums lately? Most talkin' trash about what everyone's gonna do, what they have, who's forming a "militia" type group, etc?

They've GOT to be smarter than this!

Wanna bet their email ends in .gov?

Edited by patriot

Yeah, but it's got to be great for the guys selling mall ninja gear . . . :lol:

But seriously, you know some people have never had a gun, never handled a gun, and damn sure never shot a gun, but suddenly feel the need for one now. That's scary to me . . . When they get one, their balls swell to twice their normal size and they start pounding their chest feeling like a big man now because now, they've got a gun. It goes to their (some of 'em, not all) head. They get "drunk and high" on having a firearm. That's what I've seen a lot around me and that's the gist of my opinion.

Every time I go have a chat with the local gun store owners, I'm amazed and befuddled at the people I see coming in wanting to buy a gun but have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what they want. Why the fuck would you want something you know absolutely nothing about? That's like getting a car before you learn to drive, IMO. I've been shooting pellet guns and .22's since I was about 7yrs. old (I know, a late start for some of you) so the whole mystique of firearms was dispelled for me at a younger age than most. I'm teaching the same to my young son . . .

I'll be the first to admit I've not shot a gun much, and hardly consider myself trained to do so. But people are just freaking stupid. When I first thought of purchasing a firearm (a glock .40) the first thing I did was start researching it. I signed up for the pistol training course at the local range. I took that and got my conceal carry permit. I'm like most younger people. Everyone in this Country grows up thinking guns are cool. We're a gun culture, especially if you're lucky enough to NOT grow up in a large city.

I might be giddy as a school boy around guns, and who doesn't love em. But first and foremost is safety. The simplest concept in the world, keep your finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire at what you're pointing at seems to elude many people. It might be a hobby, might be lots of fun, but I take it very seriously. I did grow up in Virginia, so have been around guns my whole life. So I inherently respect them. That seems lost on all the idiots out there.

When I give advice to those who don't own guns, my advice is always sign up for the safety class first, better yet buy a gun and take it too the class with you. Just hope everyone follows that advice and get familiar with whatever they get. Haven't had anyone go out and buy one yet but if they do I will do my best to show them how it works and how to be safe with it.

Edited by Wotan1105
There's no time like the present to learn, though, right?

Bring 'em in and teach them!

Hopefully they won't be without a clue when the LEAVE the gun store.

Whoa Bounce! Bring in the optimism brother! I must be rubbing off on ya. :haha:

Oh yeah, for SOME of them. That's true. But I live just out of the SW side of Houston, so you can imagine what most of the people I was referring pessimistically to would be like. We do have gang and "wanna-be" gang problems all over, as most large cities do, and some of the people I see in the stores don't appear to be on the "up and up." That's all I meant.

I believe all good, honest citizens should be armed.

It's true that there are thousands of people out there who have never even touched a firearm, who were never exposed to them when they were growing up, and who have really been opposed to others around them carrying guns. Thy are afraid of them. It's pathetic. I had a good friend of mine over last week who happens to be a liberal type...a musician and middle aged guy who grew up in the 60s and all that went with that. He's a very intelligent man, just never got exposed to firearms in the right way. It's sad how many fathers there are who don't teach their kids firearm safety. Anyway, even this guy, who I have had many serious discussions with regarding military type weapons and why I "need something like that"...even he told me this past visit that he is considering getting a gun to keep in his home and have to protect his family, should he ever need it. I think now that nobama is here with his new policy of "change"...there are a whole lot of people like this that are realizing they had better shit or get off the pot if they ever want to have a gun.

Oh yeah, for SOME of them. That's true. But I live just out of the SW side of Houston, so you can imagine what most of the people I was referring pessimistically to would be like. We do have gang and "wanna-be" gang problems all over, as most large cities do, and some of the people I see in the stores don't appear to be on the "up and up." That's all I meant.

I believe all good, honest citizens should be armed.

I asked a gun shop owner if he had any gang-bangers show up to buy ammo and accessories like laser sights and stuff like that.

He said that he didn't - at least not very often.

He said he wouldn't sell to the criminal element, but that it hadn't been much of a problem.

Now in SW Houston.... that could be an entirely different story.

Has anyone but me noticed the influx of newbies to quite a few of the gun forums lately? Most talkin' trash about what everyone's gonna do, what they have, who's forming a "militia" type group, etc?

They've GOT to be smarter than this!

Wanna bet their email ends in .gov?

But, I stared my Militia YEARS ago!!!! :haha:

Yeah, SuperA, I will admit... I am having a VERY difficult time figuring you out.

Do you have multiple-personality disorder?

How many of you are there in there?

:haha:

Yeah, SuperA, I will admit... I am having a VERY difficult time figuring you out.

What would you do if he responds "we are not sure" ?

Eeeeeewwwww... Clean your leg off, Bounce.....

What would you do if he responds "we are not sure" ?

Let's all seven of us get together and figure it out.

The membership on the local MD gun forum has increased by about 40% since December. I welcome it as long as they are sincere to the "sport". They will weed themselves out soon enuf if not..

Edited by crfakm4
The membership on the local MD gun forum has increased by about 40% since December. I welcome it as long as they are sincere to the "sport". They will weed themselves out soon enuf if not..

Sport????????? :checkered_flag::boxing:

I've noticed it too.

Joining gun forums is a great way to get some info that one would normally not have access to.

Like me for instance. I didn't grow up with guns in the house at all. Never hunted. Never shot a gun. No one in my immediate family had owned a gun before. Really, the only 2 people in my whole family (well, except maybe some distant relatives who are technically strangers to me) that owned guns before, were my uncle and Grandfather. Neither of which I'm all that close with.

I've since grown to love firearms and shooting, and everything that goes along with it. And I've only been in the game for 3 years or so. Honestly, forums like this have given me TONS of info, and I've learned a crap-ton from all you guys here.

So when I see noobs around forums, I think about when I was doing the same thing. So as long as they seem like they really want to learn, I assume they're genuine regular noobs, as opposed to big brother government checking up on us.

Of course, I've seen a few posts here and elsewhere that have made me think the latter.

Unfortunately with the decrease in rural living, the increase in involving kids in every imaginable extra-curricular activity, the push to earn and spend, and sordid other reasons the sport of hunting and shooting has decreased markedly since I grew up. In fact, the number of "sportsmen" has diminished so much in the last 40 years that they are tetering on the brink of extinction in just a few generations.

With this in mind, I think it is an excellent idea to use the current increase in interest to further our cause. Namely to educate and encourage as many people as possible to responsibly take advantage of their second amendment right. In the last month I have taken 10 people to the range who have never owned/fired a gun. Five of them have already taken and passed their CCL test. The remainder are getting there but are taking their time due to financial considerations. Prior to going to the range we cover range etiquette, safety, proper handling and so on. I forego my shooting time to train them in safety, trigger control, proper stance, sight picture, focus, ad infinitem. It is quite rewarding and IMO one of the best ways to protect my rights. More educated folks on our side that see the advantage of fighting for our rights has to be a good thing. Everyone is a newbie at some time, I was fifty years ago...take time to educate and pass on your love of weapons and there use. Patience and empathy as they learn goes a long way and IMO everyone profits by the exercise and time spent.

Unfortunately with the decrease in rural living, the increase in involving kids in every imaginable extra-curricular activity, the push to earn and spend, and sordid other reasons the sport of hunting and shooting has decreased markedly since I grew up. In fact, the number of "sportsmen" has diminished so much in the last 40 years that they are tetering on the brink of extinction in just a few generations.

With this in mind, I think it is an excellent idea to use the current increase in interest to further our cause. Namely to educate and encourage as many people as possible to responsibly take advantage of their second amendment right. In the last month I have taken 10 people to the range who have never owned/fired a gun. Five of them have already taken and passed their CCL test. The remainder are getting there but are taking their time due to financial considerations. Prior to going to the range we cover range etiquette, safety, proper handling and so on. I forego my shooting time to train them in safety, trigger control, proper stance, sight picture, focus, ad infinitem. It is quite rewarding and IMO one of the best ways to protect my rights. More educated folks on our side that see the advantage of fighting for our rights has to be a good thing. Everyone is a newbie at some time, I was fifty years ago...take time to educate and pass on your love of weapons and there use. Patience and empathy as they learn goes a long way and IMO everyone profits by the exercise and time spent.

Excellent point.

I have arranged to take a single mom and her daughter to the range with us as well.

The only thing they know about guns is what they've learned by watching TV.

I am very happy to do it.

It's really true that more and more people have suddenly decided they need to learn about and own guns.

Rural middle America, really don't know of any house hold that doesn't have at least a .22 or shotgun. :angel: Military service, human retrieval, and LE at times. Heck, the freshmen P.E. class had .22 target and trap shooting class, every freshmen participated, until 98". :super: Did have a M1A for competition shooting. Yet, never felt a need for a hi capacity firearm until our government didn't want us to have one in the early 90's. :devil: On morning walk, couldn't count the number of pickups with a shotgun or rifle in window rack. :wub: Yes, most vehicles are unlocked and am sure firearms are loaded. County has had 1 murder in the 44yrs I have been alive. :ded: And that was committed by a robber break in by a long time felon who resided 180 miles away. :zorro: Taking advantage of the rural help a person attitude. :cryss: Like I said before, widow neighbor lady has husbands hunting weapons and a couple pistols, new the basics as most out here do, yet had me take her out to get reafirmed. Open classes at range are always full now. Most, by first time purchasers. Been around, shot, or family members have weapons. Just want to have their own. Like, I did, before last ban went into effect. THIS TIME. It's all weapons though. Mostly handguns and defense shotguns.

Rural middle America, really don't know of any house hold that doesn't have at least a .22 or shotgun. :angel: Military service, human retrieval, and LE at times. Heck, the freshmen P.E. class had .22 target and trap shooting class, every freshmen participated, until 98". :super: Did have a M1A for competition shooting. Yet, never felt a need for a hi capacity firearm until our government didn't want us to have one in the early 90's. :devil: On morning walk, couldn't count the number of pickups with a shotgun or rifle in window rack. :wub: Yes, most vehicles are unlocked and am sure firearms are loaded. County has had 1 murder in the 44yrs I have been alive. :ded: And that was committed by a robber break in by a long time felon who resided 180 miles away. :zorro: Taking advantage of the rural help a person attitude. :cryss: Like I said before, widow neighbor lady has husbands hunting weapons and a couple pistols, new the basics as most out here do, yet had me take her out to get reafirmed. Open classes at range are always full now. Most, by first time purchasers. Been around, shot, or family members have weapons. Just want to have their own. Like, I did, before last ban went into effect. THIS TIME. It's all weapons though. Mostly handguns and defense shotguns.

+1

:super: