the LaRue AK Irondot

I'm currently in the process of deciding which mini red dot to go with and I'm just about sold on one of these: LaRue AK Irondot. I love the idea of mounting the MRD in place of the standard rear sight, instead of replacing the top handguard with one that provides a mounting rail and having to mount the MRD so far forward on the weapon. I'd like to keep my plum handguards and still have a quality MRD installed. I also really like the fact that it allows you to easily use iron sights while it's installed.

So, I'm wondering if this LaRue product is in fact as excellent and well built as it looks. Does anyone have personal experience with the AK Irondot?

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

glad i invested in Aimpoint..   thanks for the review...

I used several different optics in the past and when it comes to red dots they are not all made exactly the same. The cheap chinese walmart specials might as well have elmers glue holding the internal

Not to mention that because the government uses it, everyone else HAS to have one, which raises demand, which raises the price. I'm not saying they don't make a quality optic, but my cheap Bushnell h

I'm currently in the process of deciding which mini red dot to go with and I'm just about sold on one of these: LaRue AK Irondot. I love the idea of mounting the MRD in place of the standard rear sight, instead of replacing the top handguard with one that provides a mounting rail and having to mount the MRD so far forward on the weapon. I'd like to keep my plum handguards and still have a quality MRD installed. I also really like the fact that it allows you to easily use iron sights while it's installed.

So, I'm wondering if this LaRue product is in fact as excellent and well built as it looks. Does anyone have personal experience with the AK Irondot?

The mount is fantastic, the optic (Burris) is the only drawback. LaRue's site claimed they were trying to fit the smaller aimpoint units to the mount at one time. Take that with a grain of salt however because Ive only seen one, and didn't get a chance to try to break it.....

There very nice... I have all ready put them on a couple of my customers Micro AKs.. its a real nice product with a real nice fit.

Excellent.. so they're as good as they look. One more question.. in your opinion, is it worth the extra $250.95 to go with the Docter MRD option rather than the standard Burris FastFire MRD? Is the Docter MRD really that much better or are they pretty comparable for most shooters' purposes?

i looked at that... but it looks like you lose the functionality of the rear leaf sights?

Nope.. a replacement rear sight is built into it and is usable at all times. That feature, along with the compact size, excellent protection for the optic, and of course the fact that it installs on the rear sight block, (which makes the replacement of the top handguard unnecessary and keeps the optic closer to the shooter's eye), are really what sold me on the Irondot.

i looked at that... but it looks like you lose the functionality of the rear leaf sights?

Nope.. a replacement rear sight is built into it and is usable at all times. That feature, along with the compact size, excellent protection for the optic, and of course the fact that it installs on the rear sight block, (which makes the replacement of the top handguard unnecessary and keeps the optic closer to the shooter's eye), are really what sold me on the Irondot.

i mean the adjustments due to range that you have with the stock rear iron sights....

I use a Burris Fast Fire on my Ultimak rail and have had no problems with it during competitions and training days.

So you're saying that the FastFire is a decent MRD and paying an additional ~$251 for a Docter MRD is a waste of money? I'd love to hear that.. as I really could use that $250 for more 7.62x39 ammo or S-12 conversion parts, (plan to convert it myself, looks like fun).

I use a Burris Fast Fire on my Ultimak rail and have had no problems with it during competitions and training days.

So you're saying that the FastFire is a decent MRD and paying an additional ~$251 for a Docter MRD is a waste of money? I'd love to hear that.. as I really could use that $250 for more 7.62x39 ammo or S-12 conversion parts, (plan to convert it myself, looks like fun).

I've never owned a Doc so I can't say ones better than the other. I can say that if you search for reiveiws of the Doc you find there's some that have problems with them. Some probably have had problems with a Fast Fire too for that matter.

I know they were designed to be mounted on the slides of semi-auto handguns. If they can take that kind of pounding they should be able to handle an intermediate round rifle. So far my has worked great.

Is this crap really worth $500??

That's subjective. What's a good MRD worth to ya? I should point out that it's the Docter MRD AK Irondot option that's $535.95. The Burris FastFire MRD AK Irondot is $285. Personally I think I'll go with the Burris. I'm sure it's more than accurate/dependable enough for my purposes... and I really could use the difference in price for Saiga 12 conversion parts.

Keep in mind that even the Docter Irondot is both more compact and less expensive than Aimpoint MRDs.... and those still need a rail to mount to. The AK Irondot does not.

Heh.. while checking out what Aimpoints are going for to verify what I posted, I found what looks like a great price on an Aimpoint Micro H-1. Only $522 including shipping. :blink:

Of course those are still not as well protected as the LaRue mount and not as compact. They do look like damn good sights though.

That's subjective. What's a good MRD worth to ya? I should point out that it's the Docter MRD AK Irondot option that's $535.95. The Burris FastFire MRD AK Irondot is $285. Personally I think I'll go with the Burris. I'm sure it's more than accurate/dependable enough for my purposes... and I really could use the difference in price for Saiga 12 conversion parts.

Keep in mind that even the Docter Irondot is both more compact and less expensive than Aimpoint MRDs.... and those still need a rail to mount to. The AK Irondot does not.

Heh.. while checking out what Aimpoints are going for to verify what I posted, I found what looks like a great price on an Aimpoint Micro H-1. Only $522 including shipping. :blink:

Of course those are still not as well protected as the LaRue mount and not as compact. They do look like damn good sights though.

If I was going to spend the money on something like that, it would be this.

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/cobra.html

Or this

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp...&ProdID=611

Edited by Shellshock1918

Or this

Damn, just when I think I have shit figured out there's another great option to consider... so, do you know if the Cobra with the side mount in the first link sits high enough that the irons are usable while it's in place?

Or this

Damn, just when I think I have shit figured out there's another great option to consider... so, do you know if the Cobra with the side mount in the first link sits high enough that the irons are usable while it's in place?

i asked before if there was a rail that sat high enough and got no response.. so im guessing no..

Or this

I would imagine so.

I'm sure the mount makes the red dot sit high enough so that the line of sight is over both the front and rear sights. Therefore, the iron sights would be visible.

Edited by Shellshock1918

I wouldn't bet on that. The consensus is that the only way to co-witness a red dot with AK irons is with an Ultimak rail with a MRD like the Burris/Doc or the H-1/T-1's.

The Russian red dots work well, but my Fast Fire weighs 2oz. ounces and the Ultimak adds virtually no weight either as it is a gas tube integrated with a pic rail. The Russian units with side mounts weigh a lot more.

The Ultimak/MRD or the LaRue IronDot is the only way to co-witness a red dot with irons that I know of.

I spent $175. on the FF and $100 on the Ultimak. That's only $275.00 for a true co-witnessed, fast target acquisition AK set up. That's not bad at all.

If the FF fails me (I've had it on for four 3gun competitions, a 500 rd training day, and numerous trips to the range) I may spring for the Aimpoint with their five year battery life and super tough build quality. It's alot to pay for a red dot, but my guns are fighting guns that I'm willing to bet my life on. And I'm worth it.

If your gun is for plinking, put a knock on it for $39.95 and go have fun.

I wouldn't bet on that. The consensus is that the only way to co-witness a red dot with AK irons is with an Ultimak rail with a MRD like the Burris/Doc or the H-1/T-1's.

The Russian red dots work well, but my Fast Fire weighs 2oz. ounces and the Ultimak adds virtually no weight either as it is a gas tube integrated with a pic rail. The Russian units with side mounts weigh a lot more.

The Ultimak/MRD or the LaRue IronDot is the only way to co-witness a red dot with irons that I know of.

I spent $175. on the FF and $100 on the Ultimak. That's only $275.00 for a true co-witnessed, fast target acquisition AK set up. That's not bad at all.

If the FF fails me (I've had it on for four 3gun competitions, a 500 rd training day, and numerous trips to the range) I may spring for the Aimpoint with their five year battery life and super tough build quality. It's alot to pay for a red dot, but my guns are fighting guns that I'm willing to bet my life on. And I'm worth it.

The Russian military uses the Kobra red dots on their AK-74Ms. It must be good enough for them, right?

The Russian military uses the Kobra red dots on their AK-74Ms. It must be good enough for them, right?

im willing to bet he was NOT replying to you... = )

im willing to bet he was NOT replying to you... = )

whoops

• 1 month later...

It looks fragile,it's overpriced and those mini dots are full of fail.It might be ok for a GayR15 but an AK deserves something more robust don't you think?

Ultimak and a high quality dot sight,buy the right stuff the first time and save yourself disappointment in the future

It looks fragile,it's overpriced and those mini dots are full of fail.It might be ok for a GayR15 but an AK deserves something more robust don't you think?

Ultimak and a high quality dot sight, buy the right stuff the first time and save yourself disappointment in the future

SOPMOD, Exactly what I was thinking...

SO I ordered one of these AK Irondots just now. They say it's a 4mo lead time for them. Sooo I'll tell you in August or Sept how they work! :)

~SN