EMP effect on EOtech, Aimpoint & Trijicon??

Been thinking about buying a high-end optic recently.

Dispite Barry's Caravan of Love tour, Many of us are concerned about the real likelyhood of an EMP attack in this country after the pot bellied pig fired off his science project over Japan's airspace this weekend. Anyone care to guess which optic would still function after an EMP hit? I'd think the Trijicon would most likely be to one to keep going because its fiberoptics, tritum dot and no batteries needed.

Co-witness iron sites are always a must on a Saiga, but this topic might be something good to think about before forking out big$$ for one of these scopes. Heck, they may all not work in the end.

Been thinking about buying a high-end optic recently.

Dispite Barry's Caravan of Love tour, Many of us are concerned about the real likelyhood of an EMP attack in this country after the pot bellied pig fired off his science project over Japan's airspace this weekend. Anyone care to guess which optic would still function after an EMP hit? I'd think the Trijicon would most likely be to one to keep going because its fiberoptics, tritum dot and no batteries needed.

Co-witness iron sites are always a must on a Saiga, but this topic might be something good to think about before forking out big$$ for one of these scopes. Heck, they may all not work in the end.

I own the saiga-12 and saiga 7.62x 39. I agree the fiberoptics would be an excellent choice given the fact it doesn't fail and is good for us older folks who's eyesight needs help. Also, do you know if it is possible to put a muzzle brake on the older saigas?

I think the actual effect of an EMP on small, battery powered devices is greatly exaggerated by the media. My understanding is that it would basically just create a big surge of current through most of the power grid. Nearer to the center of the pulse, some charge could move through the air and short out devices that weren't plugged in, but I don't think it's very likely.

Fuses would mitigate a lot more of the damage then we're led to believe, and most devices that were unplugged would be pretty safe after a short distance from the center of the pulse.

Cobra45! Disengage Disengage! This is not a secure channel! :ph34r:

Now that is some funny shit......

One thing anyone needs to remember when they are dealing with Shotgun Optics..............

IT'S A SHOTGUN!!!!! :haha::haha:

Edited by hallboss

Now that is some funny shit......

One thing anyone needs to remember when they are dealing with Shotgun Optics..............

IT'S A SHOTGUN!!!!! :haha::haha:

Yep. So You don't need crosshairs....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...&pid=343106

Co witness is a MUST. I will not have non-cowitness optics on my shotgun!

I myself am not to worried about an EMP plus all my guns have back up iron sights anyway. If an EMP were to happen and destroyed some of my guns electronic sighting systems. I would just take the useless sights off or just grab my guns whitch have for example my Trijicon ACOG installed and be good to go. If an attack went down I dont think I would even consider grabing an S12. I would grab my sniper rifle, springfield XDM, and maybe my AR and head to the hills. Where I live (Montana) a shot gun is pretty much pointless if we were under attack.

Yer kiddin me right? :unsure: If you're close enough to a nuclear detonation to worry about EMP effects I would think the functioning of your weapon optics would be the least of your worries! :rolleyes:

But since we're discussing it, yes the unpowered tritium optics would be unaffected.

:lolol: +1 Funny shit for sure! :lolol:

Yer kiddin me right? :unsure: If you're close enough to a nuclear detonation to worry about EMP effects I would think the functioning of your weapon optics would be the least of your worries! :rolleyes:

But since we're discussing it, yes the unpowered tritium optics would be unaffected.

:lolol: +1 Funny shit for sure! :lolol:

LOL

Im laughing here at work and people think im crazy....

Thanks

Just FYI.

EMP attack does not destroy anything on the ground. A nuclear device is detonated Very high in the atmosphere or in space. The blast has no affect whatsoever on the ground. BUT. The EMP spreads over a very large area affecting electrical grids and electronics.

In 1962 we detonated a 1.5 MT test approx 250 miles up over the South Pacific. It knocked out streetlights. burglar alarms, Microwave transmitters in Hawaii 800 miles away from the test.

Even a few nuclear bombs detonated high over the US could wipe out our communications, Computers,(even the ones in your car)and fry electrical grids all over our country.

So build a faraday cage and put on your tinfoil hat!

Edited by tommygunner

Just FYI.

EMP attack does not destroy anything on the ground. A nuclear device is detonated Very high in the atmosphere or in space. The blast has no affect whatsoever on the ground. BUT. The EMP spreads over a very large area affecting electrical grids and electronics.

In 1962 we detonated a 1.5 MT test approx 250 miles up over the South Pacific. It knocked out streetlights. burglar alarms, Microwave transmitters in Hawaii 800 miles away from the test.

Even a few nuclear bombs detonated high over the US could wipe out our communications, Computers,(even the ones in your car)and fry electrical grids all over our country.

So build a faraday cage and put on your tinfoil hat!

I was thinking more of fallout than blast effects.

When the zombies start coming, I don't care what I've got for a sight or even if I got a sight. I'm just gonna point the barrel and shoot, simple as that. Its a shotgun. Anything downrange from my barrel doesn't matter as long as I can keep pulling the trigger and throw as much lead downrange as possible. I know for sure that I will hit something. If anything I need to worry is making sure that I have plenty of fully loaded mags.

Besides, if you are a true survivalist, you'd stay in the bunker until you get the all clear signal. No sense in popping your head out to do any shooting.

I still say that all the reliable sources I've ever consulted on the issue indicate that small, battery powered devices would likely be pretty safe. It's stuff connected to the power grid that would short out.

Unless you were very near the epicenter of the pulse, a battery powered optical sight would probably be alright.

God bless Gecko45, :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Take chicken wire and create a sphere around you and your super ninja 15 lb High Voltage AR 15 and all electronics will be protected. :donatello:

Edited by nib

A trick I was told(dont know if this works) is to have your wife buy you a used, maybe non working microwave oven next time she is out garage shopping. And this will act as a farday cage. So if ya get a big enough one you can cram quit a few things in there.

Edited by Bean.223

A friend once told me how to safegaurd electronics from any EMP,.... similar to the cage idea.

. you use braided silver wire to make a mesh/net around your electronics and ground it, and store them in a metal cabinet, grounded,.. that will protect them from massive EMP. 200 something units is like the biggest expected, but smaller ones could be generated from non-nuclear devices as well taking out ALL computers and all kinds of other devices.

the tighter and thicker wire used the mesh,... the more protection. He said that's what they use on fighter planes, FWIW

Grabbing my tin foil hat now... Thanks. Lol~

On a serious note, I think I remember reading that Trijicon and Eotech are shielded... Not sure about Aimpoint... Of course, ya can't beat a good iron sight or tritium sight.

Edited by gothchick

This is a high traffic area and I know some folks here have EOtechs on their S12's which was why the questions was posed. Most of us here have more than a shotty in their collection as an option. A good AR/AK would be better suited for an Aimpoint or Trijicon. My line of thinking in throwing this out was geared more towards a high alt. detonation EMP attack, that in theory would knock out grids, computers and cars with electronic ignitions. If any of the popular EMP theories are true, then only older vehicles in the area with points would likely still operate(until you ran out of gas, or were carjacked).

You'd think that someone who tests and evaluates gear for our armed forces has taken the EMP issue into consideration at somepoint. I've never broke any of these unit open to see how they tick. Out of all 3, the Trijicon would seem the least complicated.

Certainly, I wouldn't worry about any of this, or whether the wife left the curling iron on if we're within a few miles of ground zero.

Even if you think the topic is moonbat crazy(yes, I should have mentioned a zombie plague somewhere in the first post to give this discussion more legitimacy), it's always fun seeing you guys stirred up and reading the posts!

Grabbing my tin foil hat now... Thanks. Lol~

On a serious note, I think I remember reading that Trijicon and Eotech are shielded... Not sure about Aimpoint... Of course, ya can't beat a good iron sight or tritium sight.

Even if you think the topic is moonbat crazy(yes, I should have mentioned a zombie plague somewhere in the first post to give this discussion more legitimacy)

No need to worry there, this has been covered!

All in good fun...that is unless you own a highly secret mall security company....well then we'll really start in.

Noobie, I hope you know I was kidding and I love your setup, I just can't afford that midbarrel break....