Review and Pics of new UTG Saiga Quadrails

I just finished installing these new rails from UTG (model no: MNT-HGSG39) and I gotta say for $70 they are very nice. Installation was a breeze and consisted of just putting the two pieces over the barrel and gas tube and securing them together with four screws. Installation is very similar to the UTG rails for standard AK's and they lock down tight and feel very solid. They are lighter than I expected and do not throw off the balance of the rifle. The top rail sits very low on top of the gas tube and does not interfere with the iron sights, although it is not low enough to co-witness a red dot like you can with an Ultimak rail. I have not fired the rifle with them on yet so I can't comment on whether or not optics mounted on it will retain zero. They feel very solid so I doubt it will be an issue. I plan on ordering a Vortex Strikefire to mount on top of these and I will be sure to report back with the results after my first range trip.

Here are some pics of them mounted on my Saiga 7.62x39:

52295581.jpg

79171069.jpg

45542434.jpg

56650334.jpg

You say they are lighter than you expected and it dosn't throw off the balance of the gun, but well...

were looking at a unconverted saiga, it didn't have shit for balance to begin with. Maybe with a wooden buttstock or a mercury tube in the sporter it might not be bad, but otherwise... it wasn't balanced anyway.

You said instalation was easy, mind pulling her off and giving us a scale weight? even a fish scale would be close enough to satisfy my curosity.

from what it looks like it doesnt use the mounting screw the OEM handguard uses?

does it have some type of tab that fits into the same spot under the bottom rail?

if not is it just held in by being "vised" on with the top cover that goes over the gas tube?

JUST curious.. but if you plan on mounting your optics on there.. why would you not instead pay $90 for the ultimak and be able to co-witness..

to me $90 with the ability yo co-witness > $70 and the inability to co-witness

just my opinion..

Mine should come later today. Just like anything else, depends what you plan to do with it. I just want to be able to mount different accessories on the quad rail, including vertical grip, red dot...ect. I really don't care about co-witness because I use mostly for recreational shooting and it looks good. If people have money and have to have co-witness, then get the Ultimak. A gas tube with rail on it for $90, a little too much. Just my opinion.

from what it looks like it doesnt use the mounting screw the OEM handguard uses?

does it have some type of tab that fits into the same spot under the bottom rail?

if not is it just held in by being "vised" on with the top cover that goes over the gas tube?

Got mine today around 1 PM EST and install it in 2 minutes. The quad rail is perfectly and secure. The lower front of the rail sits right behind the gas block that has a little groove slightly bigger than the barrel diameter, this prevent the rail moving back an forth. The top rail lock together with the lower rail nice and tight and additional four lock screws to keep nice and tight. I would recommend this product to anyone who is interested. I will post some pics later when I have some time.

I love it so much, I order another one for $69.95 for my 223. :rolleyes:

i don't think i can stress it engouh... made in twain does not count as a us made part

I understand what you are saying. My Saiga is fully converted with enough US parts that I don't have to worry about this quad rail. I have

US made trigger group (3), magazine (3) , buttstock (1) , pistol grip (1). 15-8=7

you realize now your going to have to play the compliance parts game, and your new quad rail does not count right? utg is made in twain

why would a railed handguard make an unconverted saiga "non-sporting" and require compliance parts?

I love it so much, I order another one for $69.95 for my 223. :rolleyes:

i don't think i can stress it engouh... made in twain does not count as a us made part

Even if people use this quad rail in their original configuration Saiga, what's the difference between Russian and as you said "Twain" part? They are both foreign. I can see if this is use in converted Saiga and you trying to use this as US made part.

Edited by devildog1122
You say they are lighter than you expected and it dosn't throw off the balance of the gun, but well...

were looking at a unconverted saiga, it didn't have shit for balance to begin with. Maybe with a wooden buttstock or a mercury tube in the sporter it might not be bad, but otherwise... it wasn't balanced anyway.

You said instalation was easy, mind pulling her off and giving us a scale weight? even a fish scale would be close enough to satisfy my curosity.

1lb 6 oz.

Hmm.....

I have the UTG short version for the AK, which fits WITHOUT need of any front barrel clamps. But I had to get a Dinzag AK gas tube.

Looks like you used the orig Saiga gas tube as this rail is Saiga specific?

How is the screw down? Does it pinch or interfere w the gas tube any?

Mine UTG (AK) quad rail is a SOLID fit on my 7.62. No doubt, your's fits real solid on this Saiga specific UTG.

Also, I bought an automotive hole plug for the handguard screw since the UTG doesnt use it at all.

Looks good, great job...

Edited by quikz

Nice rail

I like UTG..I have a quad Rail for my Bulgarian AK47 ..They are strong and well balanced.. The only thing i would have preferred was for it to be made in the USA.. I have the Chaos Quadrail for my Saiga 12..Very strong and well balanced and worth the money..But i can see that UTG might be slight competition price wise when they start mass producing the S-12 Quadrails.. In these difficult economic times People will always be drawn to the cheaper price/The looks/ and the Quality..Even though they are made in Tawain and does not count a U.S made part.There are other things you can change in your saiga 12 to make it 922r compliant..I hope someone can post a full review with pics for the S12..

you realize now your going to have to play the compliance parts game, and your new quad rail does not count right? utg is made in twain

it was my understanding that unless he adds a pistol grip or a larger mag he doesn't have to worry about it.

you are correct.

Simply replacing the handguard with a railed one does not make it "unsuitable for sporting purposes", so no compliance parts are necessary.

Edited by mak0

Very nice looking rail!

I have been pondering between adding this rail or the Surefire Tri Rail and like the looks of this one better. Consider me sold...as I do not want to do any conversions, just add-ons...

BUT, that brings me to my concern (which I think has been answered), would adding a rail system with forward grip, light, laser, ect. affect the compliance of the rifle with no other modifications. My 7.62 is completely stock with the exception of an AK scope mount, aim point, and this rail.

Please clarify this for me as I do not want to have to play the "compliance game"

If it doesn't say made in ________ why would we be under the assumption that it's not a US made part?Because it doesn't cost $300+,LOL

It looks really good Mak0,makes me wish I had a Saiga an unconverted front end to stick one on

Edited by SOPMOD
If it doesn't say made in ________ why would we be under the assumption that it's not a US made part?Because it doesn't cost $300+,LOL

yeah thats pretty much why i would assume that... making things overseas costs a LOT less... and to clear up the confusion you are right it is NOT made in Taiwan! i actualy just called leapers.. its made in china... lol

• 4 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents. I bought this rail system from Gilbert's gun shop for 70 bucks. I would link it but I cant find the damn thing on their site now. I think it is a pretty decent rail system. I like the look of it for the most part, it is very easy to install, you can see the original iron sites, and it looks mean as hell. I have the UTG brand on my Yugo and I liked how that turned out so I didn't have a problem snatching this one up while I was able. I do have a couple of issues with it though, mostly cosmetic but kind of left me scratching my head. 1. the front part of the rails facing the barrel are different for some reason. The right rail is squared off and the left side is cut at a slant. I have no idea why this is but if you look at the pic I will throw on here you will see what I am talking about. I would have liked it if they slanted the rails on both sides, to give it a sharper look. 2. If you have ever taken off the OEM forend, and I know you have, you know that the bottom rear of the handguard has a groove or notch that fits in the front portion of the receiver and then you secure it with handguard screw in that area. Remember when you had that handguard off there is that big gaping hole that allowed the OEM HG to fit up right? Well with this rail system you get to stare at that gaping hole because there was not a cover or any kind of backing plate included to take up the space for that area. I had to Mod one myself and fit it behind the rail system in an attempt to fill the void. It worked out well and I have corrected that issue. The reason that bothered me so much is mainly because of the ease for dust and whatever else that could get built up in the exposed area, and secondly, pure aesthetics. 3rd and last on the gripes list is the weight. It is a bit heavier than I expected. Makes the weapon a little heavy on the front end. Im sure that will change though once I trade out the OEM stock for the Ace AKFX. All in all... It was a good purchase. Very affordable, makes the rifle look like an even meaner SOB, gives you tons of mounting options, is well built, and is very simple to install. I would recommend it. If you are like me you will notice the things I did and wonder WTF? for a few seconds. But it will pass once you get the thing on the rifle. Compliance is not a big deal for me because I already have so much Made in the USA stuff on it that this doesnt even take away from anything for me really. Im still BATF compliant. So no worries there. As for the mod for a backing plate I was talking about goes? I will post a few pics of that later if anyone cares to see it. Hope this helps out.

-Shotty

post-13180-1242275996_thumb.jpg

post-13180-1242276013_thumb.jpg

post-13180-1242275924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shotty091

could the mismatched slant be intended to clear a side folder or just be giving your hand more room around the charging handle? I think they might have been trying to maximize the rail area on the left and give clearance on the right.