Lead deposits in barrel after shooting slugs

I went out today and shot 80 slugs.

I wanted to check out my green laser.

Man, a fully converted Saiga-12 with slugs and a green laser is without a doubt the MOST KICK FUCKING ASS thing there is. It is the ULTIMATE in home defense. The slugs were going right through the laser dot. I mean RIGHT THROUGH THE DOT.

It is truly awesome.

Anyway, after shooting slugs, it it a real bitch getting the lead deposits out of the barrel.

Has anyone else noticed that?

I'm hoping there is a trick solution to this.

Brush Brush Brushy Brush Brush Brush Brush. U have son/daughter U are teaching? Then.."Come, son now you are going to learn the most important thing about guns after double checking unloaded." (Ha Ha)

I tried that.

My copper wire brush is nowhere near strong enough to take that shit out.

I took the brush off the end and was scraping the shit out with the end of the cleaning rod and EVEN THAT isn't really enough.

I worked on it for well over 30 minutes and STILL didn't get it all.

Edited by Bounce12
I went out today and shot 80 slugs.

I wanted to check out my green laser.

Man, a fully converted Saiga-12 with slugs and a green laser is without a doubt the MOST KICK FUCKING ASS thing there is. It is the ULTIMATE in home defense. The slugs were going right through the laser dot. I mean RIGHT THROUGH THE DOT.

It is truly awesome.

Anyway, after shooting slugs, it it a real bitch getting the lead deposits out of the barrel.

Has anyone else noticed that?

I'm hoping there is a trick solution to this.

I experiance the same thing. First run a bore snake from the chamber to the front about 50x. Then use a bronse brush wrapped in a patch and dip in solvant. When you insert the brush run it up and down as if it is a ram rod on a fintlock. Keep replacing lead filled patches with clean ones and repeat. You will be down before you know it.

I've been using carb cleaner, but it doesn't appear to dissolve lead.

I appreciate all these ideas.

I'll try them all.

The cordless drill idea sounds good too.

I may try that right now.

What solvent is there that dissolves lead?

I spray in some PB blaster let it sit for a few minutes them a couple of passes with bore snake

PB Blaster?

I've never even heard of that.

Where can I get that stuff? Is it a gun shop deal or a Home Depot thing?

I reload my own slugs ( made with both lee and lyman molds) they sit in a regular plastic shot wad and never leave any lead build up in the bore and i have fired over a thousand in my mossberg and i stoke them up fairly fast too! make your own or buy ones that have a plastic wad and you never have to worry about it.

Has anyone ran into a bore/lead cleaner that causes issues with Duracoat? I've got my Saiga 12 stripped down to nothing in preparation for a refinishing job. I'm leaning towards Duracoat, but might go with bluing or parkerizing. Hell, if I can get my oven set up, I could even do a bake on ceramic coating or something. The gun fits in the oven just fine.

Corbin

dont laugh but if you want cheap bore swabs buy a box of tampax take one apart fluff it up a bit and run it through the barrel its a cheap perfect barrel swab

LOL..... couldn't help it, tampon is a giggle word. That is a great idea though!

That makes another good reason to have tampons as a gun owner, they also make for a good plug to stuff in a bleeding wound..... :angel:

I run a bronze or stainless brush through the bore, followed by a mop wet with hoppe's#9 and dry patches followed by one damp with Mobil1. If you don't use Hoppe's #9 the gun will never smell right!

Real men smell of cigars and Hoppe's #9!

Man, oh man, you guys are the greatest.

The PB Blaster and the cordless drill was the ticket for me today.

I am going to try these other ideas as well, but the PB Blaster and the cordless drill put a mirror finish back in my barrel.

Thanks.

It hasn't looked this good since I've been shooting slugs.

dont laugh but if you want cheap bore swabs buy a box of tampax take one apart fluff it up a bit and run it through the barrel its a cheap perfect barrel swab

Well, there are three menstruating women around here. I'll bet I could hunt down a few tampons.

LOL

Well, there are three menstruating women around here. I'll bet I could hunt down a few tampons.

LOL

• 1 month later...
Blue Wonder and a nylon brush on a drill :) works like a champ everytime

That's pretty much what we use here except we usually don't use a drill. We use a liberal dose of Blue Wonder and then let it sit for about 10 minutes, run the brush through again, let it sit another 10 minutes, then start pushing patches.

Chuck up the cleaning rod in a cordless drill and do up and down like honing an engine cylinder?

This is my method. Leaves that chrome bore shining like a mirror. Have some pliers handy to unscrew the brush and sections of rod when you are done because they will be tight.

Edited by Saiga Saga

Brownell's offers a product called a "stainless steel sponge". Snip off enough of it to make a nice tight fit when wound around an old shotgun brush and run it up and down the bore about a dozen times- no more lead.

No solvent needed, no electric drill needed. Just dispose of the lead dust as it comes out of the barrel. I used to have to clean a bunch of LE shotguns after a day of training with slugs and buck and this was the only method that got me done in a reasonable amount of time. The stuff also works in leaded-up rifles and pistols and won't touch the steel.