DogLeg scope rail by Texas Weapon Systems ??

I can't decide on an optic. I hate relying on one and hoping that it doesn't break or that the battery doesn't die. So, I've been looking for a new sight system. I've been waiting patiently for Tech-SIGHTS to come out with their new AK sight but there is no definate date on that yet and they haven't returned my last email requesting a date.

So, I found this: http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html and they tell me they're working on a rear sight for the rail. Not an HK or AR type adjustable sight, think dovetailed rear handgun sight and you'll have some idea what they have in mind. Simple, robust, minimalist, functional.... typical AK design.

So, does anyone have the rail yet. and second question is, would/does anyone like the rail and would you use it with a rear sight or with an optic.

Me, personally, I like the rail and love the idea of a rear peep sight.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn't Krebs allready make one of these monstrosities?   ...scroll down to near the bottom here: http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml   I think the member with the screen

Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups. The saiga rifle is equiped with a perfectly good side rail mounting bracket. No need for this design. I am only a "purist" when the original design is better

I actually have a thread here looking for just this, YES, I want a rail mountable rear sight for my 308, so that can use a red dot and tripler, and still have back up irons.

I'm waiting for this guy to come out with the rear peep sight for that rail. I want a rear peep and a place to put a simple red dot. Once he's got the rear worked out, I'm buying one. I would have bought the Krebs version of this a long time ago, but the Krebs rail costs more than the gun itself. This rail & sight combo is exactly what an AK needs. Simple, efficient, and robust.

I'm waiting for this guy to come out with the rear peep sight for that rail. I want a rear peep and a place to put a simple red dot. Once he's got the rear worked out, I'm buying one. I would have bought the Krebs version of this a long time ago, but the Krebs rail costs more than the gun itself. This rail & sight combo is exactly what an AK needs. Simple, efficient, and robust.

that is just about 80% complete, according to his arfcom thread

I have one and it is a very well made piece. I haven't posted a full review yet because I haven't tested it for return to zero.

I will say that it appears to be a rock solid set up. I placed a piece of paper over the dust cover then latched the rail down, I had to give a firm pull to remove the paper. It's that low over the dust cover, yet I could detect no deflection of the dust cover by any contact point with the rail.

Looks like a winner.

What if there was a mount with the dust cover being part of the rail. Hinged in the front and locks in the back Sort of like the new saiga 12 that they have in russia?

I'm working on one of those on mine right now in fact....

DPH already has a rail that mounts similar to the one in the link. Surefire also has a copy of that one.

What if there was a mount with the dust cover being part of the rail. Hinged in the front and locks in the back Sort of like the new saiga 12 that they have in russia?

I did that. My Saiga Grendel has HK sights on it. I fab'bed up a piece of steel that fit in the stock sight location and extended out over the dust cover and welded it on. When I release the dust cover tab the whole thing just pivots up.

I have already thought of attaching the dust cover to the rail. Ones steel and ones aluminum, so I may have to tap and thread it.

I'm working on one of those on mine right now in fact....

DPH already has a rail that mounts similar to the one in the link. Surefire also has a copy of that one.

rafaga's rail actually sits lower than dph's. his new rear sight will co-witness with the front sight, and it's going to be flip up. only thing i don't like about it is the release mechanism. there again, i don't like dph's either. both seem to bulky.

The Krebs rail is a no brainer to this problem but the Krebs rail is also bucco bucks. With the way things are currently every dollar saved is a dollar towards more ammo or more mags. Not everyone has deep pockets or an unlimited gun budget. With whatever resources available we all must weigh our expenditures carefully by not spending too much on one accessory so that there may be resources available for other things more important that may potentially be banned. Remember, Barry hasn't walked completely away from the gun ban issue.

One note I will add to this thread is I mounted the TWS rail on one of my Saiga's that has a Ultimak tube rail on it.

It sits .25" higher than the Ultimak rail. If you had a LOW rear sight on the TWS rail you could still use the stock front sight.

I'll get some pics up.

And I wouldn't exactly call the TWS rail crap. I'm not looking to hand all kinds of tactical junk off my rifle, I'm just looking to lengthen the sight radius and get some kind of rear peep sight on the gun. I like the AK platform but think the sight on them suck and are their biggest weakness. I've been waiting for Tech-Sight to come out with their peep sight but they seem to be dragging their feet so.. if TWS perfects his sight and offers it with a rail, I'll buy it, just to gain 8-10 inches of sight radius and an improved rear sight design.

I'm not looking to hand all kinds of tactical junk off my rifle, I'm just looking to lengthen the sight radius and get some kind of rear peep sight on the gun. I like the AK platform but think the sight on them suck and are their biggest weakness.

Exactly! My eyes are not great, and I think the stock sights absolutely suck. A rear peep that is solidly mounted would solve that problem. If later on I can also mount a red dot or holo sight on a rail down the center line of the gun and not have the optic being used as a heat sink over the gas tube, then that's great too. This rail would let you do that very easily. But my main issue is I think the stock sights are terribly designed from a human factors point of view. I can use the stock sights and I can get hits on man sized targets from a reasonable distance, but the stock sights make me work harder and longer than I need to and I think other sights are just flat out better.

I've done the same kind of upgrade on my Glock with some XS Big Dot sights. I hated the stock sights and I replaced them several times with other designs. The Big Dot sights are exactly what I was looking for, and now I'm finally happy with the sights. They make sense to me.

Doesn't Krebs allready make one of these monstrosities?

...scroll down to near the bottom here: http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

I think the member with the screen name Gothchick runs this crap on her rig, one of you guys so keen on testing should just ask her about it.

How is a longer sight radius, and a truly bore centered rail a monstrosity?

Doesn't Krebs allready make one of these monstrosities?

...scroll down to near the bottom here: http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

I think the member with the screen name Gothchick runs this crap on her rig, one of you guys so keen on testing should just ask her about it.

How is a longer sight radius, and a truly bore centered rail a monstrosity?

Some people are purists and beleive that you should not do anything to modernize a 60 year old design because that would be bad. :rolleyes:

Just guessing here.

Just confirmed, I am near the top of the list to receive one of the first production run, in about 2 weeks.

hate to burst your bubble. first production run has come and gone. my guess you'd be second run. first production run was for the "beta testers" though not much has changed except the addition of the rear peep sight, which the "testers" are getting as well.

Just confirmed, I am near the top of the list to receive one of the first production run, in about 2 weeks.

hate to burst your bubble. first production run has come and gone. my guess you'd be second run. first production run was for the "beta testers" though not much has changed except the addition of the rear peep sight, which the "testers" are getting as well.

Beta testing is not a "production run" beta testing is prototype stage, "production run" is for sale to public.

My bubble is fully intact.

I just spoke with the good folks at Texas Weapon systems and they should have the rear sight ready for shipment in 2 weeks. the rear sight adds $35.00 to the price, so $165.00 + S&H (quoted $7.00) for a final price, delivered, of $172.00. Out of my reach, but better than DPH Arms or Krebs. As long as the optic glass is between 1/4" and 3/8" above the rail it will co-witness. The peep sight uses the AK front sight, so you lengthen the sight radius as well. It certainly looks good. The guy I spoke with is testing on a .308 Saiga and it is holding zero just fine. The 2 allen screws in the top, rear of the rail allow for adjustment. I wish him the best.

Edited by Ax-Man

Hey Ax-Man,

Pleasure talking with you today. Thought you might like to see some pictures of the rail and peep we discussed today. I tried to post them and got a message saying no dynamic pages allowed. What am I doing wrong?

You can check out lots of pics on my Flickr page Link

Hey Ax-Man,

Pleasure talking with you today. Thought you might like to see some pictures of the rail and peep we discussed today. I tried to post them and got a message saying no dynamic pages allowed. What am I doing wrong?

You can check out lots of pics on my Flickr page Link

Hey,is there any possibility of a design that encompasses more of the RSB to strengthen it a bit?I worry that if I dumped the rifle on it's optic that is might bend or break that dogleg area.not under normal use but under rather hard usage.

I am really liking your mount especially for getting the height and eye relief right for an Accupoint on My Saiga 308.

Some people are purists and beleive that you should not do anything to modernize a 60 year old design because that would be bad. :rolleyes:

Just guessing here.

Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups. The saiga rifle is equiped with a perfectly good side rail mounting bracket. No need for this design. I am only a "purist" when the original design is better or more efficient... as it is in this case.

I dont know SOPMOD, if it really sits that low to the dust cover, i dont really thing that dropping it would effect it much, it would just impact the dustcover, and wouldnt flex past it. Maybe if you dropped it with the rail folded up, that i could see. But i dont think that is something likely to happen in a battleready scenario, and could be chocked up to old fashioned operator error.

Definitely the best looking design I've seen in the train of designs that have poured out in the last couple years. Still not quite what im looking for, but its getting closer. I definitely like the rear dovetail sights in the photo album, and i think that feature alone should be enough to silence the critisism of bigsal. AK's have a shorter than optimal sight radius, (m4gerys are plagued with the same problem imho) and id like to see you put a peep sight on one of the siderail mounts and be able to crane your neck far enough to get a sight picture, and still be able to hit what you are aiming at.