Need help choosing mags for S-223

Basically I have some Galil Orlites. I could buy/trade for a few more, OR work the AR adapter plus about 10-12 PMags. With what I have (and some other suff), I think I could break even either way.

The Orlites are 35rnd and are said to be rock solid in S233 when modded.

But if I wan't more mags, you either go cheapo or go expensive/quality.

The PMag/AR route offers more flexibility down the road. If I want more mags, you can get solid mags for a good price.

To go this route, I'd have to sell the Orlites.

Any thoughts???

Basically I have some Galil Orlites. I could buy/trade for a few more, OR work the AR adapter plus about 10-12 PMags. With what I have (and some other suff), I think I could break even either way.

The PMag/AR route offers more flexibility down the road. If I want more mags, you can get solid mags for a good price.

Any thoughts???

Are your Orlites already modified?

Any thoughts???

Are your Orlites already modified?

No. I have 6 new Orlites in plastic from CDNN. Plus 2 unissued unmodified Weiger mags from Dave's collectibles. One unissued unmodified 50rnd Steel Galil mag (CDNN).

I actually bought these before I picked up the rifle (atleast a year ago), but I knew I wanted a S-223.

I was considering parting with the steel mags for more Orlites (modded or not).

But after that, getting more Orlites would be tough.

Edited by dobravery
No. I have 6 new Orlites in plastic from CDNN. Plus 2 unissued unmodified Weiger mags from Dave's collectibles. One unissued unmodified 50rnd Steel Galil mag (CDNN).

I actually bought these before I picked up the rifle (atleast a year ago), but I knew I wanted a S-223.

I was considering parting with the steel mags for more Orlites (modded or not).

But after that, getting more Orlites would be tough.

Only one small operation is needed to run Bulgarian military waffle mags in your .223

saiga556_1246.JPG

Can you point us in a direction to purchase that mag?

Is it any of these ?

http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/M...IAN%2030RD.html

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp...&ProdID=649

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=248&page=1

-Bryan

Edited by broberts001
3/3

Just avoid the Pro-mags that may be marketed as "Bulgarian" (Pro-Mag copied the Bulgarian waffle mag)

And from what I read and understand, I will not need a feedramp to use this mag, correct?

-Bryan

You will need a feed ramp to use any military surplus magazine.

I added a feed ramp in my .223 Saiga and use both Galil and Bulgy mags w/o any issues.

saiga556_663.JPG

The mags listed from Sportsmans Depot show they are made by Arsenal. So, are these considered "military surplus" type Bulgarian mags? I'm assuming theres no difference anyway. Looks good @$27 ea. I've figured on going with the Orlites myself and would vote for those, BUT!, I've had a hard time trying to find any or at a resonable price when I do see some. I just want to go with something that I don't have to modify the gun in any way. Greg

Edited by coyotewillie
The mags listed from Sportsmans Depot show they are made by Arsenal. So, are these considered "military surplus" type Bulgarian mags? I'm assuming theres no difference anyway. Looks good @$27 ea. I've figured on going with the Orlites myself and would vote for those, BUT!, I've had a hard time trying to find any or at a resonable price when I do see some. I just want to go with something that I don't have to modify the gun in any way. Greg

Yes the Arsenal one's are Bulgarian. If you want to use something that you don't have to modify the gun then the only option would be the Surefire's. I have one in the Range gun. No grinding or bullet ramp needed and I've never experienced an issue with it.

Where's a good place to find a bullet feeding guide and how hard is it to install?

Dinzagarms.com It's just a matter of drilling and tapping a hole. He sells kits with the necessary bits too.

Where's a good place to find a bullet feeding guide and how hard is it to install?

Dinzagarms.com It's just a matter of drilling and tapping a hole. He sells kits with the necessary bits too.

His kits are GREAT! You get everything you need but the drill to do it.

You need to check your individual gun to see if you need a round or flat trunion kit (SAIGAs are found with both)

IMPORTANT _ be SURE to use a drill press to drill the pilot hole for the tap in your Trunion. If you don't get it squared, you will be MOST unhappy!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Have recently changed my mind on an AR mag adapter. At first I thought it would be a waste of money but now I am going get one as soon as I can. I now see that Pmags and surplus mags are much cheaper. If you want more than just 4 or 5 an adapter is the way to go..... Haven't made my decision yet on who to buy from MSA or Renegadebuck's. I am leaning towards Renegadebuck's. :up:

Also helps if there is an outside chance you may buy an AR15...... :unsure:

Edited by Lakedweller
Have recently changed my mind on an AR mag adapter. At first I thought it would be a waste of money but now I am going get one as soon as I can. I now see that Pmags and surplus mags are much cheaper. If you want more than just 4 or 5 an adapter is the way to go..... Haven't made my decision yet on who to buy from MSA or Renegadebuck's. I am leaning towards Renegadebuck's. :up:

Yeah that's the concept that got me thinking. Converting the Saiga to take AR mags becomes a great mag alternative if you plan on getting a bunch of mags.

You can get good quality AR mags for almost half of what you'd pay for quality .223 AK style mags.

Price of adapter plus 10-12 AR mags is close to the price of 10-12 quality 74/Bulg/Galil mags.

Clearly MSA thinks the same way since they are developing a semi permanent adapter. I hope when all is said and done that it is a cost practical mag alternative and not just priced towards a niche group who also have AR-15's.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the saying, just get both. . .

I stayed with the Orlites just because I have 6 already and want to keep my life simple. I will try to get adapter as soon as I can. I like the idea of using AR mags if SHTF thing or on the likely note of showing up AR users at the range.

Till then, I'd like to give a shout out to Trooper71 on gunbroker. I've bought a couple of Orlites from him at around $30 each (starts at $26). He lists them used, but mine look unissued.

Ordered my adapter from MSA today, couldn't pass up the 10% off offered over the 4th. Was going to get Renegadebuck's but with 10% off I could not pass it up. Went to a gun shop grand opening and bought 10 AR mags for $89.00. I should be all set when I get it installed.... :killer::super:

• 11 months later...

Ordered my adapter from MSA today, couldn't pass up the 10% off offered over the 4th. Was going to get Renegadebuck's but with 10% off I could not pass it up. Went to a gun shop grand opening and bought 10 AR mags for $89.00. I should be all set when I get it installed.... :killer::super:

I just installed my MSA adapter after sitting on it for nine months. I also got a Dinzag bullet guide. Because it was so easy, I installed the bullet guide first only to find that the bullet guide interferes with the MSA mag adapter. So I now have a hole in the trunion for a bullet guide I can't use unless I take off the MSA adapter.

I want you to know that the work required isn't so bad as long as you have the right equipement to do it. If you have access to a mill then the work should be easy. I did mine with a Dremel tool and and a tungsten carbide cutter I got from Sears. It just takes a bit of time and patience and a lot of trial fits. Most of the work involved milling the trunion had to do with fitting the AR mag so that it can be inserted fully into the magwell. There was some mods I had to do to the adapter for it to fit as well.

The important thing is to really take your time and not hack at it in desperation to make it all fit. Try to look at it from all angles and think it over before making any un-necessary cuts. Take your time and good luck.

dobravery - Regarding Mag's for the Siaga, my choices, given the availability and price would be the previously mentioned Bulgarian .223 maga, or the Galil mags/Orlite mags. I own a Siaga 7.62 X 39 Siaga which was converted by a manufacturer about 9 -10 years ago, to a .223 Siaga, and it uses Galil steel mags, and they fit like a glove;it was re-built to take Galil mags. It does not have a standard bullet guide - instead the manufacturer left what was at that time a raised lip which was part of the trunion - in place as the bullet guide and the rounds feed right over it into the breech. The barrel is probably a Chinese barrel sleaved into the trunion. The bolt is quite likely a bolt from a .223 Galil. I own three other Siaga .223 rifles, and one of them I use the Bulgarian .223 mags in - that is an excellent mag. I think that it is also an interesting idea to purchase at least a couple of these rifles and if able, add the appropriate AR mag well to one and see how it runs. That is what I will eventually do with one of my own Siaga .223 rifles when able.

• 4 weeks later...

I did purchased 6 promags. I have not had any touble with them. I still wanted steel mags, so I purchased one galill mag from CDNN. I found that the bolt would miss the round on the right side of the mag. I read on another post to take some metal of the lip of the mag so the bullet would sit higher. I used my dremal and shaved the lip down. I took my saiga to the range and fired around 100 rds though the mag and had no FTF. I guess I will be buying some more galill mags. For $19.99 thats not too bad, and yes, I do have a bullet guide.

Anyone have any experience with the tickbitesupply (David's Collectible's) resin mags supposedly made specifically for the Saiga 223s? Fine time to ask as I have a couple coming to try. If I am understanding correctly the mag well adapters to use AR-15 mags require modding the rifle and maybe the adapter? A ask as I'm also an AR-15 shooter who has plenty of AR-15 mags.

Anyone have any experience with the tickbitesupply (David's Collectible's) resin mags supposedly made specifically for the Saiga 223s? Fine time to ask as I have a couple coming to try. If I am understanding correctly the mag well adapters to use AR-15 mags require modding the rifle and maybe the adapter? A ask as I'm also an AR-15 shooter who has plenty of AR-15 mags.

Those are Promags. Do a search and you'll read all about them.