just got my MD20 drum - a fitting story

I'm sure this has been covered here but for those that are thinking about buying an MD20 drum some info.

Before I bought one I read about the fitting issues. That is, some guns the drum won't fit out of the box. There are adjustments "a", and "b" to be done ( worst case), some guns the mag fits right off, and some guns only have to do adjustment "a".

So, as soon as the UPS mad drops by I open the box, got the S12 and gave it a try. Yep, sure enough mne did not fit into the magwell. The mag comes with some basic instructions that show what fitting needs to be done, and there is a good video on the MD 20 web site as well. To anyone that buys one of these mags be sure you read the info that comes with the mag, and watch the video more than a few times.

Mine was the worst case that needed both "a", and "b' mods done. ( great!)

It took me no less than 2 hrs to file, fit, read again, watch the video, file, fit and make sure I did not screw up the mag to where it would not fit. I used small jewler's files. After I got the mag to seat into the gun properly I cycled a few rounds through it ( non-firing), just to see if the round was at the right angle and would function from the mag to the chamber and then eject. All went well, I will test fire the gun soon.

My point to anyone is make sure you have time to spare when you undertake the fitting. Don't rush. In my case I had to take off a heck of a lot of material before the mag would fit and function. The video makes it look like the adjustment is a 5 min job and at least in some cases this is far from the truth to be sure!

Good luck!

I had to do A and B as well. I started with jewlers files and soon saw that they were way too fine. I grabbed wife's fingernail board and 10 minutes later it was a done deal.

I think I could file on my drum for two hours, and turn it completely into a large pile of plastic dust and metal shavings. When I got mine it fit right into 3 out of 4 S-12s I tried, with no adjustment. I had some FTF issues with those, but at least it fit.

When helping krisfox fit his drum to his S-12, I think it took about 10 - 15 minutes tops. You can't be afraid of messing it up while fitting it. Just follow the instructions to the letter, and recheck the fit often.

I think I could file on my drum for two hours, and turn it completely into a large pile of plastic dust and metal shavings. When I got mine it fit right into 3 out of 4 S-12s I tried, with no adjustment. I had some FTF issues with those, but at least it fit.

When helping krisfox fit his drum to his S-12, I think it took about 10 - 15 minutes tops. You can't be afraid of messing it up while fitting it. Just follow the instructions to the letter, and recheck the fit often.

Well, perhaps I was too cautious. But to me, having to fit a drum that cost near $300 is not a 10 min job I wanted to make sure it fit right and without issues. I used 2 hrs, it was perhaps 1hr 45 min. Of course not all that time was used filing off the drum, and there were a few other topics going on at the same time ( phone, doorbell etc). I would file, fit, look into the chamber and see how it was fitting and making sure I had not taken too much off. I made a fireing pin for a 9mm Astra once from a screw driver doing the same thing. My point it to take your time, it's not a race. I added this so that in the future if anyone else has to do the same they should not feel rushed by the video. If some here are supper mechanical types great. For us mortals take your time is the key word. Easy to remove more, harder to add file dust from the floor that has been taken off. Now I just hope the drum feeds without issues after all that time sitting filing and watching fox news.

Edited by captdan

FWIW my drum needed the A fitting. It took less than 60 seconds for me to see it didn't fit, grab the file I had handy, remove the material, check, remove more, and lock it in place. It's just dust you're removing.

Mine only needed three of four passes with a file for lockup. Took less than two minutes, checking fit between each pass. I do see what you're saying though and I agree that it is crucial to go slowly and check the fit often. Good advice for the newbies.

I had to fit mine to three different guns... it fits a little looser in one, than the others, but it will fit in all three... I dont remember what I used to do mine... but it took me a while. It might have been an emery board... LOL

:smoke:

Both of mine required fitting (same gun, go figure). The first time took me a while longer because I was really cautous to not screw anything up. Even so, I think it took me 20 minutes the first time and under 10 the second time (once I knew what I was doing). Mine didn't need a whole lot of fitting B though. Maybe your Saiga did. Mine has a very slight amount of play, which is fine by me.

Still, 2 hours seems a bit long. However, it's definitely better to spend 2 hours and get a good fit than 2 minutes and ruin the drum.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin
FWIW my drum needed the A fitting. It took less than 60 seconds for me to see it didn't fit, grab the file I had handy, remove the material, check, remove more, and lock it in place. It's just dust you're removing.

I actually laughed out loud...funny stuff. :lolol:

I had to fit mine to three different guns... it fits a little looser in one, than the others, but it will fit in all three... I dont remember what I used to do mine... but it took me a while. It might have been an emery board... LOL

:smoke:

Yep, that's about all I had handy too was an emery board. I thought it would be fine based on how little material Mike said would need to be removed. Got pissed and gave up on the emery board after about 30 minutes of very slow progress. Grabbed the Black & Decker mini grinder (just like the Dremel) and used slow, light pressure passes..... had it done in about 10 minutes.

I would advise giving a file stroke beyond tight. You want an eentsy bit of play. My experience is limited to 5 drums. One fit very tight (after fitting) and it cracked a corner off of the retention shelf/lip during use.

Edited by Rich