What is the longest you have waited for your conversion?

My Saiga 12 has been out of my possession for over 6 months and counting. What is the longest you all have gone waiting for your conversion? I'm not complaining mind you I was quoted a "June-ish" time frame when I sent it in. Just wondering how long people have been waiting and where I fit in.

Note: I know I could have converted it myself so you don't have to point that out ;) . I have the skills and the tools but my vodka special needed warranty work and I figured I would get it converted while there. That way I could get the holes welded up and a better finish put on. Also I've been playing full time mechanic on my vehicles and that leaves me little time to play gunsmith while also playing student, father and husband.

I guess you're not in much of a hurry to have your S12 because you were so willing to give it up to have someone else convert it and have it disappear among his backlogged work. Oh well I guess you might have it back before Christmas.

For me it was a no brainer to convert it myself. If not for the lesser cost but mostly for the lesser wait and be able to take control of my situation. Especially when these things can get banned anytime such that those who don't have it in their possession (ie waiting to have it ffl back from the converter) may get SOL'd. For my state, it can happen anytime so definitely I'm not gonna leave my gun hanging in the wind

waiting on a converter.

Maybe you should have man'd up to the task of converting on your own so you wouldn't have to post this thread.

Never waited on an S-12, but I waited 6 years to get a Seecamp 32 back in the early 90's....and no, I never called or e-mailed them for an "update" during the entire wait. By the time I got the guns, I no longer wanted them and sold the consectutive serial number pair NIB a week later to a blind man....no shit. He blew his finger off with one of them about 3 months later, but that's another story..........

Tony

I guess you're not in much of a hurry to have your S12 because you were so willing to give it up to have someone else convert it and have it disappear among his backlogged work. Oh well I guess you might have it back before Christmas.

For me it was a no brainer to convert it myself. If not for the lesser cost but mostly for the lesser wait and be able to take control of my situation. Especially when these things can get banned anytime such that those who don't have it in their possession (ie waiting to have it ffl back from the converter) may get SOL'd. For my state, it can happen anytime so definitely I'm not gonna leave my gun hanging in the wind

waiting on a converter.

Maybe you should have man'd up to the task of converting on your own so you wouldn't have to post this thread.

Oh dear no need do be a dick but I guess your chosen name says it all (what's so frustrating, boyfriend won't give you a reach around?). Like I said yes I have the aptitude to do a conversion just not the time (I just replaced the head gaskets on my Rover so a Saiga conversion seems like finger painting in comparison). And unlike you it seems, I have many other rifles and shotguns to keep me occupied when I do go out hunting or shooting.

All joking aside though, the shotgun was under gassed and needed warantee work so while it was at CGW I figured I would let Tom convert it. He gave me a good deal too, with the Krebs sight I'm not paying much more than if I converted it myself.

Edited by lipadj46

waiting on a converter.

.... I have many other rifles and shotguns to keep me occupied when I do go out hunting or shooting.

All joking aside though, the shotgun was under gassed and needed warantee work so while it was at CGW I figured I would let Tom convert it. He gave me a good deal too, with the Krebs sight I'm not paying much more than if I converted it myself.

So what's you're point?

You're not desperate to have your S12 back because you so busy with other things. Obviously you're not on the guy's "A" list of builds because he gave you such a "good" deal compared to his other customers and you have warranty work involved that makes it even a lesser priority. If you were wondering, you should have just called the guy and asked "what's up?" Posting here is not gonna help your situation.

waiting on a converter.

.... I have many other rifles and shotguns to keep me occupied when I do go out hunting or shooting.

So what's you're point?

You're not desperate to have your S12 back because you so busy with other things. Obviously you're not on the guy's "A" list of builds because he gave you such a "good" deal compared to his other customers and you have warranty work involved that makes it even a lesser priority. If you were wondering, you should have just called the guy and asked "what's up?" Posting here is not gonna help your situation.

What's your point?

The OP simply asked how long other people have waited for their conversions. Your replies infer that the OP was wondering what's up with his own conversion, or that he is somehow complaining.

"Reading is fundamental."

picked mine up on a military base last week in TX. Ordered all the nessecary parts for a full conversion but had them shipped to my dad in Ohio. I have to wait 2 weeks till I get to Colorado then wait till my dad brings me my parts in CO a week after that. Even though i have the gun, i have to wait about....5 weeks from the time i got it to finally convert it. :ded: patience is a virtue

So what's you're point?

I'm sure I am where ever I am on Tom Cole's list. Like I said he quoted me June back and in January his wife called me (on June 3rd) and asked me if there was anything else I wanted and he started working on it and I will get it when he is done. He gave me a good deal because I provided my own stock as I am in NY.

I'm not sure why you are being such a dick, I assume it is just because you are a dick though. I just wanted to start a thread that was not about "my shotgun does not work" or the other 3 big topics that keep getting recycled around here as newbies come and go.

Edited by lipadj46

Dude,

"man'd up?" not every gun owner is a gunsmith.

And if you don't want your saiga to look like sh*t, you have to be pretty proficient in some uncommon skills such as welding, riviting, and reciever rifinishing.

It's not an insult to your manhood to leave it to the professionals when you want a quality end result.

Don't feel bad sir. I'm sure you could have converted yours by yourself it's pretty easy. I've done one for a friend as he is on a budget (kids, wife, mortgage etc). we cut everything out with a dremel then used some hi temp spray paint to coat the thing.

Like you I had mine converted by a gunsmith. I did this for several reasons. I was charged 500$ for the conversion.

as i had figured it out it would have cost me 300$ + shipping for all the parts and accessories, not to mention the time and money spent for specific tools for the job (i had most, just needed a new cut off wheel, tape, metal punch.. etc). Now here is what i got for 200$ more...I wanted to run the cheapest of birdshot as well as the good stuff. My gun had 3 holes, the gunsmith pressed the barrel off and drilled a fourth (i don't own a press and even if i did i wouldn't know how to operate it). I can chew up any ammo i please now. In the big picture my gun actually costs less than my friend's as he can only use more expensive ammo. Also the finish on my gun looked as though it was raw steel that some drunk russian painted black with a permanent marker. The gun looked used though it wasnt. for my extra money my gun was parkerized then duracoated black. The finish is now smooth like velvet and tough as nails. the fit and finish of my gun vs my friend's are vastly different and it is obvious who spent more money. At the range i'm running estate super duper low brass (ask for it by name ;) ), he has to use "00. I've more than made my money back in ammo savings and my gun looks nicer operates better and the finish is bullet proof where as my friend's will eventually begin to rust. I paid 200$ more than him but got so much more. So i don't think you're an idiot for not converting your gun, in fact i applaud you for having the fiscal sense and the patience to send it to someone to do a better job for you. I also applaud those who wanted to restore their s12 to the intended layout all by themselves. If you feel that you missed out on the conversion experience, take your gun apart when it gets home, then put it back together...awesome. There are some things that gunsmiths can do that regular folks can't. Like press off a barrel to allow your gun to use the cheap stuff or put a super neat camo duracoat (check out glockmongers). The little extra is worth the craftsmanship and experience.

Edited by vitamink

vitamink; thank you.

As said, some poeple do not have the tools.

I personaly hate plastic rivet hole filler things, I think it is wrong and looks like poo.

Screws do not belong on an AK or their alike, so I use rivets for the t-gaurd (like it should be).

It is people that try to do it them selves and then CAN'T after they butcher it, that gets me going. All the power to ya if you CAN and do.

There is another plus, Look at it this way; YOU "F" it up YOU are out what it costs to fix it (hence the butcher comment) BUT, if a gunsmith "F" it up, They have to make it right.