Some of the best stuff ever. For those who are squeamish about letting the acid from the citrus cook the fish, you can always blanch the fillets before you dice them as well. Dunk em in boiling water for a minute or so and proceed with the recipe.

Not sure why anyone would be squeamish, the fish that's used here is edible in a raw state (same stuff as is used in sushi and sashimi).

Interesting post!

However, I am not sure how much of an argument can be made for the health benefits of eating raw fish. Are you saying that the acids from the fruit will kill any parasites?

Interesting post!

However, I am not sure how much of an argument can be made for the health benefits of eating raw fish. Are you saying that the acids from the fruit will kill any parasites?

The citric acids cook the fish just as heat would.

What's up with "health benefits"? Don't any of you eat sushi or sashimi?

ETA: If you're worried about parasites, just freeze your fish for 3 days before you use it. This is how the sushi places in the USA do it, so they can comply with health codes.

Edited by nalioth
Interesting post!

Not trying to be a wet blanket or disparage your favorite dish, but no. I had a bout with intestinal parasites when I was overseas and never want to go through that again!

I am not sure that the acids would be as effective as heat in killing any parasites in the fish and I used to eat raw oysters by the ton!

I ate sushi last night! If they had Caviche, I would have eaten that too.

Anyway, I digress..

Fish = Brain Food .. and not the kind zombies like!

http://sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/2006/08/17/...-3-fatty-acids/

Most salt water fish is ok regarding parasites... it is the freshwater stuff that is problematic. This is one of the reasons why freshwater fish are always cooked (like freshwater eel), even at sushi joints.

I believe that a good amount of the fish used in sashimi is frozen to the point that it kills off the parasites. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

hey guys ;we get complaints about ammo being on sale;BUT fish maybe we should see if Rachel Ray will join up!!!!!!!!

Rachel Ray? Get her on board NOW!

2009-03-02-rachaelrayfhm1.jpg

2009-03-02-013_rachael_ray.jpg

2009-03-02-rachaelRayFHM5.jpg

fhm_rachaelray.jpg

rachaelray_pinup400x500.png

She's from only a couple hours away from me. By far the hottest TV cook. When I hit the lotto, I'm going to hire her as my personal nekkid chef.

EDIT: Yes, those pics are for real. No PhotoShop involved.

Edited by 22_Shooter

I love ceviche. I eat it all the time here in Tampa. But we have so many different Latin cultures and restraunts, cuban, spanish, columbian, mexican, etc., that I never knew where it came from originally. they all seem to serve it.

I can't stand rachel ray. Giada is where its at.

I can't stand rachel ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RQU75dth8

Tune to the 1:00 mark.

Something's not right with Rachel Ray. Her smile is wholly unsettling, like a black cat crossing your path under a ladder carrying a black crow and then crashing into a mirror on Friday the 13th.

Oh, and ceviche is good too.

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

I'd like to comment here. This dish originated in The Philippines and came to North America/Mexico via the Manila Galleon Trade. I'm surprised this recipe doesn't have a key ingredient listed which is white coconut/cane vinegar. Here we call it "Kilawin" and we don't use Avocadoes. Many Filipinos ended up in Mexico and vice versa. We taught them how to make coconut wine or "Tuba" which they call "Tuba Fresca"...this so destroyed the alcohol importation from Spain that at that time the individuals responsible were deported back to the Philippines. This is a dish we have as "pulutan" or what you guys know as "Tapas"...usually we eat this when we're gathered in a bunch drinking gin. Bigger size fish are recommended. There's no need to worry because the acid from the citrus/vinegar "cooks" the fish. Red Onions are a must.

I heard a rumor about that, but apparently it's confirmed. Looks like I'll have to find some of this cane vinegar for the net batch. Just pulled a ton of various peppers and onions out of the garden, so it's time for some more red snapper ceviche. Mmmmm

Fuck Rachel Ray

Long live Giada and her awe inspiring Boobs! (and italian food)